Pipe size when adding bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

mc510

Reaction score
Previous owner of my house added a second bathroom, with permits. They did not, apparently, re-do the original plumbing (which looks to be 5/8 copper) but just tapped-in with ½ inch copper to go to the new bath. I'm guessing that this is the reason that the shower temp (either one) goes off wildly if any other water is turned on. Or is what they did proper? (It's an older home and does not have pressure balanced shower valves, but probably needs them.)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can run two fixtures on 1/2"

pipe_size_2.jpg

pipe_size_1.jpg

Last edited:

mc510

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing me to those "fixtures" tables; good information!

Most common way we experience this is running the shower in the original bathroom, 5/8" (or maybe it's 3/4") copper piped. Then turn on the shower in the added bath (1/2" copper piped) and the temperature drops in the original shower. No other fixtures in use. Eight hot fixtures in total, but only four on the 1/2" branch.

Also happens when only running fixtures on the original size of the house. Running original shower, then turn on kitchen sink hot water = temperature drop in the shower. In this case, 5.5 hot fixtures on 5/8 or 3/4 diameter pipe; that shouldn't be a problem but is.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/2" copper is 5/8" OD
3/4 copper is 7/8" OD

1/2" PEX is 5/8" OD, and a smaller ID than copper.
3/4" PEX is 7/8" OD, and a smaller ID than copper.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to clarify:

ID = inside diameter.
OD = outside diameter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks