Lined tank for Plebe

Users who are viewing this thread

pomko

Reaction score
I have an old Plebe that has an unlined tank #4093. Is there a lined tank that I can instal on this toilet.

plebe-wood-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My question is why? I had a plebe for a number of years before switching to Toto, and it did work well. However, it used 3 gallons of water per flush. At the time I switched, 1.6 gpf was the best there was. Now 1.28 and even 1.0 gpf are taking over. As far as an insulated or lined tank, if you have a condensation problem, you will find that a new low flow will not have that problem and you will have a better toilet. To understand why condensation will not be a problem you have to realize that new toilet tanks hold over twice what is needed for a single flush. The extra water provides a bit more pressure for the flush, it also means that you do not completely refill that tank with cold water when you flush. The half tank that remains has warmed to room temperature and the new water mixes with that so you don't have the ice cold water in the tank to form condensation. I really don't know where you could find a tank for your obsolete plebe either.

pomko

Reaction score
My question is why? I had a plebe for a number of years before switching to Toto, and it did work well. However, it used 3 gallons of water per flush. At the time I switched, 1.6 gpf was the best there was. Now 1.28 and even 1.0 gpf are taking over. As far as an insulated or lined tank, if you have a condensation problem, you will find that a new low flow will not have that problem and you will have a better toilet. To understand why condensation will not be a problem you have to realize that new toilet tanks hold over twice what is needed for a single flush. The extra water provides a bit more pressure for the flush, it also means that you do not completely refill that tank with cold water when you flush. The half tank that remains has warmed to room temperature and the new water mixes with that so you don't have the ice cold water in the tank to form condensation. I really don't know where you could find a tank for your obsolete plebe either.

Thanks for your reply Gary.
I would love to replace the Plebe, but it's in my old 1912 basement sitting on top of plumbing that's probably about as old. When it was installed, about 20 years ago, the lead flange and associated plumbing was pretty fragile and I knew that this would be the last installation without having to go through some major work.
That's why I'm hoping to get away with only tank replacement.
A note about Toto's. I have 3 in the house. They are 1.6/0.9 dual flush.
The flush is very good but after every flush I have to clean the bowl. Until I bought these about 10 years ago I rarely had to use a toilet brush. So even though it's meant to save water I usually have to flush, clean, and flush a second time.
I bought 2 American Standard Mainliner toilets for the cottage at about 1/4 of the cost of the Toto's, and I don't have the soiling problem, and the flush is as good as the Toto's.
The Toto's are a disappointment.

And for anyone still out there...any suggestions for my old, permanently installed, Plebe?

Thanks

pomko

Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally when a tank is sweating, it's because the flapper is leaking causing a constant refill of the tank.
New toilets use less water, so the occasional flush doesn't empty the tank all the way like in the Plebe of yesteryear.
Some new toilets can also be ordered with insulated tanks. I sell the Drake CST744SD in Alaska for that puropose.
The insulated tank for the Drake is ST743SD
"D" is for insulated.

pomko

Reaction score
Do you have one for the old Plebe?

plebe-wood-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pomko

Reaction score
But do you know whether there is a lined replacement tank available?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's your problem. Toilets like the Plebe have been illegal for almost 25 years. Plumbing shops are in business to sell new products and are not going to maintain replacement parts that may never be sold. Repairing the old Plebe makes sense to you, but I wouldn't hold out much hope in finding the tank you're looking for.

pomko

Reaction score
Gary, thanks for your answer.
I guess it'll have to be a Johnny on the Spot in the backyard.

Reach4

Reaction score
Gary, thanks for your answer.
I guess it'll have to be a Johnny on the Spot in the backyard.
Do you mean you are not a vintage toilet collector? o_O

Actually, I doubt that you were being forthright .

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I have an old Plebe that has an unlined tank #4093. Is there a lined tank that I can instal on this toilet.
To answer your specific question, you can use the lined tank for the American Standard Colony. You will need to replace the flush valve with a model that has a higher overflow tube to accommodate the necessity of the additional water needed to flush the older toilet bowl. The AS model number is 4192.154.020 for white. For bone change the last three digits to 021 and for linen, 222.

pomko

Reaction score
Do you mean you are not a vintage toilet collector? o_O

Actually, I doubt that you were being forthright .

Great old can, buy I never knew whether the puddles on the floor were from the tank or from...?

pomko

Reaction score
To answer your specific question, you can use the lined tank for the American Standard Colony. You will need to replace the flush valve with a model that has a higher overflow tube to accommodate the necessity of the additional water needed to flush the older toilet bowl. The AS model number is 4192.154.020 for white. For bone change the last three digits to 021 and for linen, 222.

Plumbs Away, Thank you.
You're a great help!

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Plumbs Away, Thank you.
You're a great help!
You're very welcome. I found a typo in the model number I quoted. The correct number is 4192A.154.020 (or 021 or 222). Regarding your floor puddles, if it's not a user with bad aim, and if you don't notice a lot of visible tank sweat, it could be a faulty tank-to-bowl gasket, a faulty flush valve spud gasket, faulty tank bolt rubber washers, faulty fill valve rubber washer, damaged fill valve inlet shank, faulty supply line or faulty supply valve.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks