Frozen pipe had been drained

Users who are viewing this thread

LisaW

Reaction score
Hi. In the fall, I drained my outside line and shut off the interior valve that provides water to the outside line. I still had a burst this winter in the outside line and there was moisture seeping through the drywall - this gave me the clue to the break. When I turned the valve back on to test for a break, water gushed out the wall as I would have expected. Would a drained line with a shut off valve still have had water in it to leak and show moisture in the drywall? Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Assuming this is a frost-free faucet and you left a hose connected. If so, that prevented the water from draining.

LisaW

Reaction score
Assuming this is a frost-free faucet and you left a hose connected. If so, that prevented the water from draining.

'Thank you, but no - nothing attached. In the fall, I turned off the valve to the line, opened the faucet until all the water came out, then closed the faucet.

Reach4

Reaction score
My guess, based on your new info, is that you do not have a frost-free faucet, and that your shutoff valve leaked enough water through to fill the pipe that froze. If you had left the spigot open during the winter, that would have been less likely to happen, I think.

Anyway, replace the spigot with a frost-free spigot, and that problem goes away. Maybe do that to the other spigot too, if you have one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may be that the shutoff valve does not close all the way. In that case, leaving the outside faucet open to drain may be better.
Normally, if the isolation valve is off, and it has been drained down, you're fine.
Lateley I have been replacing those broken sections with PEX. It has a bit more give when freezing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks