Help with hach 5B test

Users who are viewing this thread

jayinct

Reaction score
I lost the small scoop that comes with the hach 5b test kit. Does anyone know the size of the scoop so I can accurately measure the powder for testing?

Thanks in advance.
Jay

Reach4

Reaction score
I lost the small scoop that comes with the hach 5b test kit. Does anyone know the size of the scoop so I can accurately measure the powder for testing?

Thanks in advance.
Jay

About
0.179in = 4.55 mm dia 0.205in= 5.2 mm which would be
0.08455 mL if my measurments were right on. Just using a digital caliper, so my measurements are likely off. I wonder if I could be off enough for it to really be 0.1 mL. Could be. I don't know.

jayinct

Reaction score
I called hach and they said to measure 0.1gram. They don't sell the measuring scoops and my kitchen scale only weighs 1 gram and up. Any ideas?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The amount of the powdered chemical is not critical, someone explained the math too me a few years ago, something to do with the amount of water and the dropper were the actual parts that are critical, not the colorant... made sense, then I tried it. I used two scoops instead of one and got the same results. It was also easier to see the color change (I have very little color vision).

You can simply sprinkle a tiny amount of the chemical, approximating the amount.

I will retest the kit tonight with multiple scoops to see what the difference is and if the quantity of the powder is that critical.

jayinct

Reaction score
I've estimated what the powder measurement should be and then tried with more and then again with less and I seem to come out with the same result each time. It will be interesting to see your results, ditttohead.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
My kit came with the scoop handle broken so I'm in the same boat. I emailed the supplier to see if they'll send me a new scoop since it came broken in the box.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's about 1/8 of a teaspoon but like Ditto said, it's not really critical. More just makes it darker pink, less makes it lighter pink but the drop count doesn't change.

Reach4

Reaction score
By my measure it is closer to 1/64th of a teaspoon than 1/32nd of a teaspoon.

petepdx

Reaction score
If you are not in a rush, go to that big auction/junk site and search for "Digital Jewelry Scale", But it Now. You can get one out of CN for < $10.
Or take a small container (old pill bottle?) and ask a local jeweler to measure it for you.

-pete

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks