Toto toilet old fill valve noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Jpoanie

Reaction score
We have a Toto Soirée toilet in the master bath that is 4 1/2 years old. Lately it has begun to make a horn or whirring sound at the end of a flush. Sometimes it will make the same sound out of the blue without flushing. What could it be and how do we fix it? Thanks for any information.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you mean at the end of the fill rather than at the end of the flush?

If so, I would see two possible problems. Your fill valve may need a replacement piece. Plus maybe your flush flapper is leaking causing a fill to occur periodically. See if the tank water level declines between flushes.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It's the fill valve. Does yours look like the one below?

Korky 528T Replacement TOTO Toilet Fill Valve - Fits G-Max and Power Gravity Toilets -Easy to Install -Made in USA

b3f56877-3b64-461a-a940-ae6f219f83b3_400.jpg

(Ignore the cap color, I'm just talking about the general style.)

If so, you can fix it by replacing this little cap inside it:

b02a5481-53da-45fb-973c-0112ce80bb8f_300.jpg

It's Korky Part R528, and it's available at HomeDepot, among other places:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Toilet-Fill-Valve-Replacement-Cap-R528CM/202666007

Here are the instructions on how to service your fill valve, and you can swap the cap when you do so.

If you don't have this style of fill valve, the valve isn't easily-repairable, and you need to replace it with the Korky 528MP. (Toto uses 3 different manufacturers' valves, and they are entirely-interchangeable, but the Korky is easiest and cheapest to fix.)

You can get the Korky 528MP MaxPerformance fill valve at Home Depot and online. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-QuietFill-MaxPERFORMANCE-Fill-Valve-528MCM/203145423

You want the MaxPerformance one, with the silver top, not the white one or any other color. The others won't properly-refill the bowl. You can also replace it with the Toto TSU99A.X universal replacement fill valve, which is a Toto-branded Korky 528MP, made by Korky for Toto, that costs more but is essentially exactly the same.

It should take less than ten minutes to change the valve.

Here's how to install it:

Now, you also say that it's making the noise without flushing. This probably means that there is some water leaking out of the tank, and it's making a noise when it goes to refill that water leaking. The easiest way to check is to turn off the water to the toilet, mark the water level with a pencil in the tank, and come back 3 or 4 hours later and see if it has receded. If it has, then you need to replace the flapper, which is a 30 second process. There is an adjustable 3 inch Korky flapper that you can also buy at many stores, which will fit perfectly. However, it's easier to just get the Korky Red Fits Toto flapper, which you won't have to adjust. Your toilet uses the THU331S Toto flapper, which Korky made for Toto, and this one is identical -- it's the same flapper in a different box: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-for-Toto-G-Max-2021CM/202666003

Both products are available locally and at many hardware stores, as well as at Home Depot. Don't let some dude in Home Depot or at the hardware store tell you any differently about what fits or works. The number of times we tell people what to do and then get contradicted by these know-nothings is amazing, as is how patient we are when people ignore our advice and then come back when the problem remains unfixed despite the fact that the smock at HD or Lowe's, who "clearly" knows more than we do, told them the real deal on what to do. :) Just do this, and you will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jpoanie

Reaction score
It's the fill valve. Does yours look like the one below?

b3f56877-3b64-461a-a940-ae6f219f83b3_400.jpg

(Ignore the cap color, I'm just talking about the general style.)

If so, you can fix it by replacing this little cap inside it:

b02a5481-53da-45fb-973c-0112ce80bb8f_300.jpg

It's Korky Part R528, and it's available at HomeDepot, among other places:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Toilet-Fill-Valve-Replacement-Cap-R528CM/202666007

Here are the instructions on how to service your fill valve, and you can swap the cap when you do so.

If you don't have this style of fill valve, the valve isn't easily-repairable, and you need to replace it with the Korky 528MP. (Toto uses 3 different manufacturers' valves, and they are entirely-interchangeable, but the Korky is easiest and cheapest to fix.)

You can get the Korky 528MP MaxPerformance fill valve at Home Depot and online. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-QuietFill-MaxPERFORMANCE-Fill-Valve-528MCM/203145423

You want the MaxPerformance one, with the silver top, not the white one or any other color. The others won't properly-refill the bowl. You can also replace it with the Toto TSU99A.X universal replacement fill valve, which is a Toto-branded Korky 528MP, made by Korky for Toto, that costs more but is essentially exactly the same.

It should take less than ten minutes to change the valve.

Here's how to install it:

Now, you also say that it's making the noise without flushing. This probably means that there is some water leaking out of the tank, and it's making a noise when it goes to refill that water leaking. The easiest way to check is to turn off the water to the toilet, mark the water level with a pencil in the tank, and come back 3 or 4 hours later and see if it has receded. If it has, then you need to replace the flapper, which is a 30 second process. There is an adjustable 3 inch Korky flapper that you can also buy at many stores, which will fit perfectly. However, it's easier to just get the Korky Red Fits Toto flapper, which you won't have to adjust. Your toilet uses the THU331S Toto flapper, which Korky made for Toto, and this one is identical -- it's the same flapper in a different box: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-for-Toto-G-Max-2021CM/202666003

Both products are available locally and at many hardware stores, as well as at Home Depot. Don't let some dude in Home Depot or at the hardware store tell you any differently about what fits or works. The number of times we tell people what to do and then get contradicted by these know-nothings is amazing, as is how patient we are when people ignore our advice and then come back when the problem remains unfixed despite the fact that the smock at HD or Lowe's, who "clearly" knows more than we do, told them the real deal on what to do. :) Just do this, and you will be fine.

Jpoanie

Reaction score
Yes, I think I meant fill not flush. Thank you both so much for the info....especially WJ for the very detailed explanation and how-to.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yes, I think I meant fill not flush. Thank you both so much for the info....especially WJ for the very detailed explanation and how-to.

Our pleasure! One thing I should have said is that if you have the valve that looks like the one in the picture, it will probably say "Toto" or "EMax" or "GMax" on the top of it. It's made by Korky even if it says "Toto", so don't worry about whether the R528 cap will fit it. I was once actually curious myself whether that R528 cap fit all of the different flavors and re-brands of the Korky 528, and the answer is "Yes." It's pretty ingenious: all the "wear parts" (i.e. the stuff that will wear out over time) are in that little cap, so (in theory at least) you never again need to change out the whole fill valve; you just replace the cap when it wears out, a couple-of-minutes job. How often that happens depends upon: (1) how high your peak water pressure in the house goes, (2) what the chemical composition of your City water is; and (3) some measure of luck.

Let us know how it goes and come back with any questions!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
One other thing to note: If you can't find that simple RED "Fits Toto" flapper from Korky, there is NOW a NEW Korky "Universal" Flapper for Toto. It's an adjustable 3" flapper, similar to their 3" flapper that fits many brands, that is an "official" universal replacement flapper for Toto. My recommendation would be that where you properly can use the Model 2021 Korky flapper that isn't adjustable and thus only fits certain (but many) Toto toilets, use that one. Where it isn't available or doesn't fit your Toto, then use the Toto-specific adjustable Korky flapper:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-for-TOTO-2023CM/205213624

http://www.korky.com/index.php?p=Product&i=1204#.VIH1vjHF9bc

Bob W

Reaction score
Do you mean at the end of the fill rather than at the end of the flush?

If so, I would see two possible problems. Your fill valve may need a replacement piece. Plus maybe your flush flapper is leaking causing a fill to occur periodically. See if the tank water level declines between flushes.

I just had to replace both flappers in the 2 Carlyal toilets I installed 2 years ago. The problem is the flapper curl up rather then stay flat and flush with the drain allowing for small amounts at first for water to leak out. This of course can cost the consumer a great deal of money for extra sewer and water consuption. I called Tec Services at Toto today and they told me they had not heard of such a problem. From seeing the post re leaking Toto flapper valves since 05 it is obvious that Toto does not care. Try some other brand of flappers other then Toto.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The amount of chorine in the water makes a huge difference. Chlorine tablets in the tank are a big no no.

Instructions that come with all brands mention this.

korky-quietfill-p600.jpg

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Like Terry says, the only time I've seen flappers with curled edges is where the homeowner was using chlorine tabs in the toilet, and only when it had been sitting for a while between flushes (i.e. the concentration of chlorine in the tank gets pretty high because the toilet isn't flushed for a couple of days, while the tablet dissolves at a fixed rate per hour). I did see some deformation of the flapper on a toilet in a bar that was hooked up to the hot water line instead of cold. And while some municipalities do use a fair amount of chlorine in their water, two years seems awfully-fast for the chlorine to have an effect on a Toto flapper.

Absent that, a flapper in fairly-normal city water should last several years, especially if it is one with chlorine-resistant rubber, like some Korky flappers.

Bob W, here's one you might want to try: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-for-TOTO-2023CM/205213624

Also, this Korky one will fit your Carlyle II with no adjustment necessary; just install and go! http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-...-for-TOTO-G-Max-2021CM/202666003?N=5yc1vZc69o

But ditch the chlorine tabs if you are using them...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks