Do I Need This Pressure Tank ?

Users who are viewing this thread

bob-texas

Reaction score
My well pump is 180 feet deep. The pump is a 3 hp 27 gpm. It used to operate the sprinklers, but now the only use for the well is to fill the pond through a bladder and and 250 feet of 1" pipe. The pump runs non stop at 28 to 30 lbs. Does the bladder make the pump work any harder ? Would I be better off without it since pressure is not an issue ? Thanks for any advice.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The diaphram wont make the pump work any harder than its designed to work.

If you already have the tank, why would you want to eliminate it?

How do you turn the pump on & off, manually or with a pressure switch?

bob-texas

Reaction score
The diaphram wont make the pump work any harder than its designed to work.

If you already have the tank, why would you want to eliminate it?

How do you turn the pump on & off, manually or with a pressure switch?

Thanks LL and Craig for the quick responses. Yes, it is turned on and off with a pressure switch. You guys have answered my question. I was just trying to make sure that I was doing everything possible to protect the new pump. Thanks again

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm guessing that craigpump implies that the tank may absorb pulses that otherwise might cause the switch to bounce on start. If you remove the tank you may have to remove or adjust the pressure switch as well.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What part of Texas are you in that lets you fill a pond from a residential Well ?

We are lucky to have the water too pump.

Just wondered.

I don't think you are getting as much water out of your well that you think you are.

Or your pressure would be higher.

Last edited:

bob-texas

Reaction score
What part of Texas are you in that lets you fill a pond from a residential Well ?

We are lucky to have the water too pump.

Just wondered.

I don't think you are getting as much water out of your well that you think you are.

Or your pressure would be higher.
DonL, Arlington-Mansfield area. The sprinkler system with 2 controllers runs 37 stations with a total run time of 23 hours. The pond drops about 1/4 " per hour. The liquid control electrodes are set to turn on the well when the pond level drops 4 ". The well pump is set to shut off at 45. It runs a constant 28 to 30 through 1 " pipe. The last pump lasted about 4 years. I installed a Gould this time and put dry acid in the well 1 year ago.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I guess that is a big pond.

Sounds like you have a nice setup.

250 feet of 1 Inch, can loose you a lot of volume. That can be a big deal for what you are doing.

I hope you can drive down the prices for the food grown and raised in Texas.

Having Water is better than having Gold or Oil. Brass is nice to have, so that you can protect your Water , Food and Family.

Good Luck on your project.

bob-texas

Reaction score
I guess that is a big pond.

Sounds like you have a nice setup.

250 feet of 1 Inch, can loose you a lot of volume. That can be a big deal for what you are doing.

I hope you can drive down the prices for the food grown and raised in Texas.

Having Water is better than having Gold or Oil. Brass is nice to have, so that you can protect your Water , Food and Family.

Good Luck on your project.
DonL, I don't know what a big pond is. I have seen much small
er, and much larger. The previous homeowner was running 17 stations direct from the well to water the areas away from the house, and using a 2nd controller on city water to water around the house, due to the iron rust on everything. 3 years ago I put a Shaeffer 2 horse pump in the pond due to bad pressure at the end of the property. The pressure problem was resolved, and the rust went away. After paying for 90 to 100,000 gal. of city water per month in the summer, I tied everything to the pond/well. It looks like my usage this month will be about 5000 gal. I am not in the trade and put the 1 " in on the advice of a supplier ( before I ran across this forum ) . I am trying to tweak this system and get the most out of the two pumps. I really appreciate all of your help and the help from others on here. As far as driving down food prices in Texas, we just shop at Aldi !

bob-texas

Reaction score
I wondered what dry acid meant, and found this: http://www.coteychemical.com/solutions/whitepaper.php
Reach4, a year ago the well pump locked up and threw the breaker. I pulled the pump on 180 feet of pipe. The pump was one big hunk of rusty sludge. The 1 1/4" pipe was closed down to about 3/4 ". I installed a new pump and pipe. Before putting in the new stuff, I put 5 gal. of dry acid in the well. The company that I bought the Gould pump from told me that would be fine, but not to turn the pump off until everything had cleared out. It blew rusty water for a long time. A year later the rusty water is starting to increase.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks