Danze shower faucet. Knocking Pipes (plumbers couldn't figure it out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Kim Y

Reaction score
I have a Danze shower faucet, installed in 2011, and the knocking is driving us INSANE.

Started with a small ticking/knocking when we kept the water running to get it warm/hot. As the water heated up, we'd hear a faint ticking/knocking noise. Not a big issue.

Now it's gotten to be a big knocking noise that will happen at any time, even when no water is running, to a hammering noise when the faucets (any faucet in the home) is turned on or off - hot or cold.

We plumbers over - they installed water arrestors under the bathroom sink, restrapped all the pipes under the house, cut a hole in the drywall behind the shower - they couldn't figure it out.

Most of the sound seems to be echoing from the shower faucet.

Thoughts? Things we could try?

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Reach4

Reaction score
Could the sound be originating from the water heater?

DW85745

Reaction score
I'd try three things:
1) If there was no problem prior to the Shower faucet replacement, I'd call the faucet manufacturer, describe the problem and see what feedback you get. Possibly the value is loose or defective.
2) I just did a H20 heater and they are a lot noiser but mostly whistling noises.
3) There may be air trapped in the line.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a customer with a knocking pipe issue. I misdiagnosed it as an improperly secured water pipe, but I was wrong. As it turned out, it was the PRV.(sheetrocked over inside a wall in the laundry room). You turn the water on and in a little while this tapping noise would start up. I replaced the prv and that solved the problem.

While we're on the subject, someone posted an inquiry concerning pipe noises a while back. One thing that didn't get mentioned was the fact that these vaccum-breaker hose bibb contraptions required in some areas, can make that lovesick whale noise when they start going bad; so check that.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
This maybe your problem but this tread was for a Moen PosiTemp with a Danco replacement cartridge. Danze might have something similiar.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/water-hammer-knock-danco.32514/

Just two weeks ago I replaced another Moen 1222 cartridge. About the forth one in four years on my own home, my son's and friend's homes. All homes were built around the same time (2007). The cartridge is made of three pieces (outer is pastic, the other two are stainless steel) and to balance the water flow should the cold or hot side have a sudden drop in pressure. The inter most sleeve moves back or forth to balance the pressure to the shower head. When you turn off a faucet anywhere in the home (the shower faucet off) the pressure changes and this part in a Danco version moves and taps the metal body of the cartridge, hence the metal body to the copper pipes. I had to change these Moens out because the inter sleeve gets itself jammed whereby it blocks some of the hot water flow or totally cuts it off. I bought a new Moen replacement and this inter sleeve looks like it is made of ceramic instead of stainless steel. I didn't have time to wait for a free replacement from Moen.

Might be worth changing the Danze cartridge out to keep your sanity. I found this DANZE part on http://www.plumbingsupply.com/danze-replacement-faucet-parts.html Not the same but the part circled is similar to Moen.

Attachments

• DANZE.jpg
    DANZE.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like someone drilled a hole that is either too small or misaligned so the pipe is rubbing on the stud.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Anything we say is strictly a guess because we would have to be there to do our own tests, BUT it could be the pressure balancing spool in the shower valve responding to multiple pressure changes in the system.

Monchmant

Reaction score
I have a Danze shower faucet, installed in 2011, and the knocking is driving us INSANE.

Started with a small ticking/knocking when we kept the water running to get it warm/hot. As the water heated up, we'd hear a faint ticking/knocking noise. Not a big issue.

Now it's gotten to be a big knocking noise that will happen at any time, even when no water is running, to a hammering noise when the faucets (any faucet in the home) is turned on or off - hot or cold.

We plumbers over - they installed water arrestors under the bathroom sink, restrapped all the pipes under the house, cut a hole in the drywall behind the shower - they couldn't figure it out.

Monchmant

Reaction score
I had exactly the thing happen to me and I also remodeled our bathroom in 2011 with a Danze shower faucet. I had several plumbers look at it and they could not figure it out. Several wanted to cut holes in the ceiling below our bathroom and that would not have fixed anything.

Here is the fix: call the Danze technical help line and tell them about the water hammer problem. They will send you a kit with a new cartridge and a set of internal (hot and cold) shut-off valves. These valves are located inside the wall and are part of the fixture. The reason they are installed are so that if the cartridge ever needs replaced, you can replace it by shutting off only these valves (as compared to draining the water from the whole house). Take a socket set and replace the internal shut-off valves and the problem will be fixed! There is some sort of spring mechanism inside these valves that goes bad and this causes the water hammer.

Jason engel

Reaction score

I also had this problem. I called danze and they sent me a replacement cartridge. That was the fix. Glad I didnt tear walls open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks