burned out pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

john c

Reaction score
The pressure switch to a 10 year old 1 hp goulds jet pump wired for 240 (230) volts quit working and I could smell burnt plastic. I replaced the switch and the same thing happened within two days. I looked closer at both of the failed pressure switches and both have melted plastic where one of the wires #2 from the pump contacts at the switch, where 2 and 3 go to the pump and 1 and 4 are to the power supply. I have a multi meter but haven't checked anything yet. My only guess would be a capacitor. I've only used the pump for irrigation, washing the car, in the summer, so hoping it still has more life, and the pump still works. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Is this a common sign that the pump is going bad? Thanks!

john c

Reaction score
It has a stop cycle valve and runs for over 20 minutes when in use for the irrigation. I tested it on the lower water flow applications and never heard any kind of problems with it, but wasn't there when it happened. Is there anything else you might suggest? I suppose I'll get another pressure switch today and start testing it out again. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to keep using the pump and not burn up the pressure switch.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can do a qualitative test of the capacitor of the capacitor by touching the isolated terminals with your ohmmeter. If the meter is analog, the needle should kick to low resistance initially, and then rise to high resistance. If you short out the capacitor terminals to discharge the capacitor, you can then repeat the test. If you reverse the test leads without discharging the capacitor from the last test, you would get an even-bigger kick.

The amount of kick will vary with the capacitor and the ohmmeter. With a digital meter, you would get corresponding readings, but it would be trickier to get a meaningful test.

How many starts would you estimate are on your capacitor. I am not implying that I know if a failing capacitor could cause your symptoms. But replacing the capacitor after 10 years may be a good idea, even if it was not needed.

With about a 1/2 GPM flow from a hose, does the pump take about the amount of time that you expect for the pump to turn off? With a failed pressure tank, the pump would short-cycle.

I am not a pro.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It's the amps that burn up the contacts so measuring the amps drawn would be a good place to start. You can also measure the ohms resistance on the motor to see if it is in spec.

john c

Reaction score
Appreciate the tips. This time I moved the pressure switch to the other side of the stop cycle valve closer to the tank. It is wired for 120 volts, not 240. It is drawing 119 volts and I couldn't figure out how to get a reading on the amps. I have a digital Greenlee. Also not sure how to get any other readings and would need more specific instructions. I did get a reading of 174 when touching the two copper plates under the cover. I'm hoping that just by moving it the switch it will help. The last time it was running at 2:30 pm and its very hot and humid so maybe just moving it away from the hot pump will help. Any other suggestions?

It has a stop cycle valve but when there is just a trickle discharge or no discharge it builds pressure very fast as it draws about 18 GPM with a small tank.

I hope it keeps working this time but burning up two switches isn't encouraging.

Reach4

Reaction score
The pressure switch needs to be at the pressure tank with no valve or anything in between except a fairly short pipe. Moving the pressure switch should help prevent short cycling. When you use water for the irrigation and then stop using water, how long does it take for the pump to turn off?

Did you say the pump is wired for 120 VAC but you read 174 volts? You need to review your electrical connections. If the pump is wired for 120, you should never see 174 volts between anything inside of the pressure switch.

john c

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. It's all wired for 120 volts and the pump is at the right 120 setting. Short cycling hasn't been the problem. While I'm not handy with the mutimeter, I did notice the same two terminals on the switch were hot to the touch after running it 40 minutes but not enough to melt plastic and I could keep touching it, but probably not good that its hot again? I may try to find another capaciter and replace that. I'll do some research on how to use the multi meter. The pump is working fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. It's all wired for 120 volts and the pump is at the right 120 setting. Short cycling hasn't been the problem. While I'm not handy with the mutimeter, I did notice the same two terminals on the switch were hot to the touch after running it 40 minutes but not enough to melt plastic and I could keep touching it, but probably not good that its hot again? I may try to find another capaciter and replace that. I'll do some research on how to use the multi meter. The pump is working fine.
Normally when you control a 120 VAC pump through a pressure switch, you only use two of the terminals (one pole of the switch). You do not switch the neutral (white) wire. Maybe you can rewire this properly and can use the pole of the switch that has not failed.

john c

Reaction score
It's wired properly. The power supply uses #1 and #4 and the two wires to the pump use #2 and #3. There is setting on the inside of the pump that is also set correctly to 120 volts. The pump appears to be drawing too man amps because the two pump terminals are getting hot. I don' think my multi meter can measure amps to AC, so I may get one that can. I'm not sure how hot the two pump terminals should get? I'll test it more tomorrow when its not raining. The stop cycle valve may be causing it to run hotter at low GPM, or it's the capaciter or something I'm not aware of. Thanks for the help! At this point I'm not going to pay to have a 10 year old pump repaired.

john c

Reaction score
Ok, you are saying bypass the switch for the white wire, by connecting it straight to one of the motor wires? And the switch would the back and other motor wire? I'm on the third switch now, but the original switch and the way it's wired now worked fine for 10 years.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
This time I moved the pressure switch to the other side of the stop cycle valve closer to the tank

The pressure switch always needed to be on the tank side of the CSV. You may have damaged your motor having the pressure switch on the wrong side for so long. With the pressure switch on the pump side of the CSV, the pump may stay running while the irrigation system is on, if the irrigation system uses all the water the pump can produce. But when you were using water in the house or just less than the pump can produce, the pressure switch on the wrong side of the CSV would cause rapid and numerous cycles. As Craigpump said, this is usually what melts down a pressure switch. Moving the Pressure switch to the tank side of the CSV should solve this problem.

The pump appears to be drawing too man amps because the two pump terminals are getting hot.

The motor has an internal thermal overload. If the motor were drawing too many amps the overload would shut off the motor. (Same thing if the capacitor is bad) These are auto-reset overloads, so it would have reset in a few minutes and restarted the pump, but you would have seen that happening.

The stop cycle valve may be causing it to run hotter at low GPM, or it's the capaciter or something I'm not aware of.

With the pressure switch located correctly, the CSV will keep the pump running as long as you are using more than 1 GPM. But this will not make the motor run hotter. To the contrary the restricted flow caused by the CSV will actually reduce the amperage of the motor, making it run cooler, not hotter.

But the rapid cycling that occurred when the pressure switch was on the wrong side of the CSV would certainly cause heat and melt the pressure switch.

Also a 1HP running on 115 volts is drawing the same amperage (pressure switch heat) as a 2HP pump running on 240 volts. This is the maximum amperage you can run in a FSG2 type pressure switch. It would only have half the amperage or heat on the pressure switch if you switched it to 240 volts. Nearly all jet pumps can be wired 115V or 240V. You would just need a double breaker in the panel for 240V instead of a single breaker as with 115V.

john c

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in Valveman. The pump isn't cycling on and off. It's only used for irrigation. Today I ran it for 40 minutes with the new pressure switch that I relocated, and the two terminals for the wires to the pump got hot again. The same two that melted with the other two pressure switches. Once again it ran continuously for 40 minutes, started one time and shut off one time. So I'm thinking it might be the capacitor. I'd like to simply replace it to see if that helps. After 10 years it can't hurt. The pump is working fine, it's just heating up the two terminals in the pressure switch. Where could I order a new capacitor for a 1 hp Goulds jet pump? Some of the lettering on the side was warn off from the heat, and I'll check it again tomorrow. But would this be it, a 9L114?

The stop cycle valve has worked great. I'm not seeing a difference moving the pressure switch but wanted to rule that out so did it. It takes over 3 GPM for it to not cycle but that's fine because everything I use is over 3 GPM.

I also don't have any more room in my control panel for another 240 so I'll need to use the 120 that has been working fine for 10 years. It's a 10 gage wire running a short distance.

Appreciate the help.

http://www.pumpagents.com/GouldsPumps/9L114.html

Reach4

Reaction score
What about switching the neutral? I am confident that is not necessary or advantageous.

Last edited:

john c

Reaction score
Sorry for any confusion it's a 1 hp shallow well pump.. The model # is C48A95A06 .. that is printed on the pump.
http://www.wwpp.com/products/goulds/jetpumps.htm

That was the only capacitor that came up with a Google search and I didn't know if it was the right one. I can't seem to find the right part to order. I was going to call a local pluming supply place tomorrow but don't know how much help that would be.

But yes its a two wire set up. On the inside of the pump, under the cover, it has instructions for wiring for 120 or 240. It's very straightforward and is properly wired for 120. It may have even shut off when it overheated.

If I can find the right capacitor to order I'll just do that and switch it out.

john c

Reaction score
Once again, appreciate all the help! I'll probably just start a new thread tomorrow and try to find the right capacitor to order. If that doesn't work, and keeps overheating, might be time for a new pump, and will start a new thread for that one. :)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A starting capacitor is not going to help. The capacitor is only in the circuit for a fraction of a second on start up. As soon as the motor gets up to speed the centrifugal switch in the back of the motor opens up and takes the capacitor out of the circuit completely. If the pump is starting, the starting capacitor is good.

If it is not cycling, maybe you have a loose wire connection somewhere. Although a 1HP on 115V is maxing out the amperage on a FSG2 pressure switch, so it will get warm.

Another thing is those little plastic clips on the pressure switch points can't take heat like the old fiber board style that you can't get anymore.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I agree with valveman. The starting cap has nothing to do with the contacts getting hot.

What you could do is to wire both sets of contacts in parallel.

john c

Reaction score
Now that's a good idea. Don't run the common through the pressure switch and split the other wire between both sets of points. That would cut the amperage through each set of points in half.

Cool! Ok, I'll try that! When I get a new dryer I'll probably switch that over to gas to free up a 240 breaker for the pump. I'll post an update. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks