Do I have to replace this pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

SusieQ

Reaction score
Jeff, could you please show me what you are talking about, that I should do? There was a metal extension piece where the plastic one was, but I couldn't get it out. Up top where I said "I can't get this locknut off." People did say that but I wasn't sure what they meant. It sounds like a good idea. If you could show me a diagram or something, that would be great. Thank you :)

PlumberJeff

Mister Plumber
Reaction score
Jeff, could you please show me what you are talking about, that I should do? There was a metal extension piece where the plastic one was, but I couldn't get it out. Up top where I said "I can't get this locknut off." People did say that but I wasn't sure what they meant. It sounds like a good idea. If you could show me a diagram or something, that would be great. Thank you :)
It's really not that complex. There is a trap. Take it off of the disposal waste ell and the pvc piece. Take off the pvc piece. See if the trap fits back on without the pvc section. It might be necessary to trim a little of the black plastic disposal waste arm to get it to fit. It is also possible it might fit too high on the waste arm for everything to go back together properly. If that's the case, sigh and say "oh well" and put it back together like it was at first.
I hope this makes sense.

PlumberJeff

Mister Plumber
Reaction score
The idea is to have it look like the trap on the other side of the sink

SusieQ

Reaction score
Oh, I get it; see if it will fit without the plastic piece. It didn't look like it when I put it together, but it's worth a try. Thank you!

SusieQ

Reaction score
Just looked at it. I'd have to cut an inch or two off the black plastic pipe that connects the disposer. Is it necessary, or just cosmetic? I wonder what the hell it was doing there in the first place ;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
p-trap_reverse_dearborn.jpg

The p-trap will reverse and install in either direction with the "u shape bend"
Then you can elimate the extra piece in there to extend the p-trap.

PlumberJeff

Mister Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I see that. Is it necessary or can I just blow it off?
:) :) :) :) :)

I'm not sure what Terry means regarding "eliminating the extra piece" and then blowing off installing the trap correctly. Putting it in the right way (trim off the disposal ell and lose the white extension) will give it the correct trap seal depth, help it drain better and be less prone to leaks. Anytime I install a reverse trap, it's a no warranty on leaks situation. It's not much work to cut a piece of 1 1/2" tubular plastic.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not sure what Terry means regarding "eliminating the extra piece" and then blowing off installing the trap correctly. Putting it in the right way (trim off the disposal ell and lose the white extension) will give it the correct trap seal depth, help it drain better and be less prone to leaks. Anytime I install a reverse trap, it's a no warranty on leaks situation. It's not much work to cut a piece of 1 1/2" tubular plastic.

If you had looked at the picture of her installation, you would have noticed that a standard trap does not fit.
A reverse trap will, and the Dearborn is the best of the lot. I pick mine up at Pacific.

Is the homeowner going to be able to find that trap? Maybe...............
Is it working now with too much trap seal?...................Been working. If I were doing the job, yes I would install the reversing trap, or open the wall and drop the drain in the wall.
And how much would you charge for that? and do you think that would be a doable job for here considering it's all steel piping in the wall.
And...............did you even look at he pictures she posted?

PlumberJeff

Mister Plumber
Reaction score
If you had looked at the picture of her installation, you would have noticed that a standard trap does not fit.
A reverse trap will, and the Dearborn is the best of the lot. I pick mine up at Pacific.

Is the homeowner going to be able to find that trap? Maybe...............
Is it working now with too much trap seal?...................Been working. If I were doing the job, yes I would install the reversing trap, or open the wall and drop the drain in the wall.
And how much would you charge for that? and do you think that would be a doable job for here considering it's all steel piping in the wall.
And...............did you even look at he pictures she posted?
Terry-

Sorry if my reply was unclear.

What did you mean when you said: "eliminate the extra piece"? This confused me.

Yes, the Dearborn looks pretty nice, better for reversing than most plastic ones.
Yes, disposal works with the reverse trap. I too, drop the RI in the wall or reverse the trap (with disclaimer). With the not so deluxe trap, reversing is less desirable, although I do use silicone SJ washers.
Lowering the galvy RI - 400-500 clams, no wall repair and extra travel to Illinois. Doable, for sure.
Yes, I looked at the pictures pretty hard.

PlumberJeff

Mister Plumber
Reaction score
p-trap_reverse_dearborn.jpg

The p-trap will reverse and install in either direction with the "u shape bend"
Then you can elimate the extra piece in there to extend the p-trap.

Hey Terry
What's your cost on the dearborn trap? Does a local vendor carry it? I would know where to get Dearborn Brass, but our purchasing dept buys everything.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I picked up five at Pacific Plumbing Supply a few weeks ago, Seattle area.
My cost less than $4

I wanted some on the truck, because with all the granite countertops, and 10" kitchen sinks, I was tired of fighting the high 19" roughs that I had been installing years. They worked fine for 8" with sinks mounted on top of the counter.
Now I rough at 16" and hope for the best.

j_bend_low_inlet.jpg

McClendons has a chrome reverse J-bend, but it's harder to use. The plastic Dearborn has more space for reversing and looks to hold together better. More space within the hub of the fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks