well pump switch cut off and won't cut on

Users who are viewing this thread

lys916

Reaction score
Hi all, i really need help getting my pump to work. The well pump i have is powered by a generator and its mainly used for garden irrigation. The problem is when the generator power is on, the pump would only work for about 10 seconds before the switch cutting off at 36 psi. With the water still running the psi meter would slowly go down (takes about 15 seconds) until it reaches 30 psi and thats when it'll just drop all the way down to 0 psi and water would stop flowing. Once it shut completely off, i would have to unplug and plug in the power again just to get the pump working again for another 10 seconds and repeat the process just to get some water. While all this is happening, the water tank is only about 10% full and would not go higher or lower. Please if anyone could give me some suggestions it'll be greatly appreciated. Also is there a way to tweak it so the pump would just keep running until i decide to turn it off manually via the generator? I only use the water for irrigation once a day or every two day for about an hour. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20140708_104909.jpg
    20140708_104909.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 321
  • 20140708_104940.jpg
    20140708_104940.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 20140708_105550.jpg
    20140708_105550.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 442
  • 20140708_105705.jpg
    20140708_105705.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 3,591
  • 20140708_105019.jpg
    20140708_105019.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 314

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to adjust your pressure switch to cut off at a higher pressure. Clockwise on the big screw will do that.
index.php

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don’t think the pressure switch is shutting the pump off at 36 PSI. I think the overload in the motor is tripping at about 36 PSI. It maybe should come back on at 30 PSI, but you have to wait until the overload cools down and resets itself.
The pump has probably been cycling on and off between 30 and 50 PSI long enough to have damaged the motor.

lys916

Reaction score
You want to adjust your pressure switch to cut off at a higher pressure. Clockwise on the big screw will do that.

I have tried adjusting the the big screw both clockwise and counter clockwise but it still cutting off and not cutting on.

lys916

Reaction score
I don’t think the pressure switch is shutting the pump off at 36 PSI. I think the overload in the motor is tripping at about 36 PSI. It maybe should come back on at 30 PSI, but you have to wait until the overload cools down and resets itself.
The pump has probably been cycling on and off between 30 and 50 PSI long enough to have damaged the motor.
How long should i wait for the motor to reset? Ive left the generator running after the pump had shut off for about 5 min before but it never switch back on. Maybe i should wait longer?

Reach4

Reaction score
Valveman did a much better job of reading your symptoms.

There is a lever on your pressure switch. That may be a low-pressure cutoff, that some pressure switches have. The purpose of the low pressure cut-off is to turn off the pump if the well runs dry. Pulling the lever would start the pump back up if the low-pressure cutoff is what turned it off.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a symcom pumpsaver plus on your system. Get rid if the pressure switch with the low pressure cutout. The pumpsaver is shutting off your pump . It will indicate the reason. It is automatically timing out the restart of the pump. Your shutting the generator off and restarting it is resetting the pumpsaver. You can go to symcom's website to download information on the model pumpsaver you have.

Last edited:

lys916

Reaction score
You have a symcom pumpsaver plus on your system. Get rid if the pressure switch with the low pressure cutout. The pumpsaver is shutting off your pump . It will indicate the reason. It is automatically timing out the restart of the pump. Your shutting the generator off and restarting it is resetting the pumpsaver. You can go to symcom's website to download information on the model pumpsaver you have.
Thank you for your reply. When you say to get rid of the pressure switch, you mean remove it completely from the system? This pump system was already with the property when i took over so ive never really messed with the pumpsaver or any other electrical component. Could you tell me why getting rid of the pressure switch will resolve the problem? im still very new to well pump. I will download the pumpsaver users manual in the a.m and see how it goes.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry. I did not mean eliminate your pressure switch. You just don't need or want the specific switch you presently have. It works at counter purposes to the electronic pumpsaver plus control. You still need a pressure switch, just not the one you have.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
It really sound like the pumpsaver is cutting power off to the pump on either overload or under load before the pump reaches full pressure and the pressure switch shuts the pump off. The pumpsaver box will have LEDs that indicate what the fault problem is. When the pumpsaver shuts the pump off, you exhaust the water accumulated in the pressure tanks. When they are empty, the pressure drops from the tank precharge pressure of 30# to 0# almost instantly. When the pump shuts off, are the points in the pressure switch still closed?

lys916

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. Ive finally got it working now. All i did was adjust the restart delay/calibration dial in the pumpsaver box from 50 min to 2 min. Im assuming when the water in pressure tank is used up after 2 min rather than 50 min like how it was previously set up, the pumpsaver will kick start the pump again. If i use up the water in the pressure tank too fast, in less than 2 min, the psi meter will drop to 0 and i would have to wait for the 2 min timer to restart the pump again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks