Need the best nonclogging toilet available.

Users who are viewing this thread

sdb

Reaction score
Housr built in the mid 1990's...toilets always have been terrible. 5 toilets, the one that gets the most use clogs the most (go figure). I have been doing some research and came across this forum. I am needing the following:

white
tall ("comfort height")
elongated not round
highest capacity flush (or double flush if that works better)
2 piece

Needing suggestions for the best nonclogging toilet available...thanks

SDB

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe your problem is not in the toilets, but in the drain line!?

In so many years, I've seen only a couple of toilets get clogged inside due to large items that were shoved in them. All the other clogs were in the line.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Early low flow toilets were mostly junk. While any toilet can be clogged, those in the Toto family are the least likely to give problems. With normal bowel movements and a reasonable amount to toilet paper, they just don't clog. Now, the drain line is something else again. The newer models of Toto now are below l gallon per flush and they work really well. Any model of Toto Drake would be a suitable replacement.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Have a look at the following:

Toto Drake (original Drake) Model CST744EL. Elongated. 1.28gpf. Figure a street price of about $275 in white. If you can get it less-expensively, that's a good deal. Cheaper if you don't need comfort height. Flushes like a dream. Decent bowl wash. Also available in a 1.6gpf version, also elongated, CST744SL.

Toto Drake II Model CST454CEFG. Elongated. Only comes in 1.28gpf, which is enough. Figure a hundred more than the other. Again, if you can get it for less, that's a good deal. This has the double-cyclone flush, which evacuates roughly the same amount of waste but washes the bowl better. Universal height is standard. Also has a bowl coating called CEFIONTECT that resists stains and stuff sticking to it.

These are two Toto toilets with very good reputations for flushing. We have several Totos in the house, and are very satisfied with them. The proprietor of this site installs a lot of them, with a high degree of customer satisfaction.

Take a look at the customer reviews of these toilets on this site, and you should be impressed.

Here's the thread on the Original Drake, with over 325 comments and over 400,000 views (amazing): https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...-toilet-product-review&highlight=drake review

Here's the thread on the Drake II, 60 comments and over 110,000 views: https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...-Drake-II-Gwenyth-Owner-comments-and-pictures

Consider the Toto SS114 slow-close seat as a nice addition, although they will work with any standard elongated seat.

Last edited:

sdb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...I read terryloves reviews of various toilets and think that the TOTO Ultramax II, MS604114CEFG would be ideal for me. When I read the reviews online, I see most all were positive. I am MOST concerned about it clogging. I have two family members that routinely clog toilets. One is 18, an athlete, female and can destroy pipes anywhere. Not kidding. Her poop is like a shot put in size and consistency. The other is in his 70's with medical problems and constipation. The plumbing is fine other than these early model lo-flow toilets.

So, with that in mind, and wanting ADA height/tall, elongated, and would prefer a generous flow to the lower capacity (but it seems 1.6 is the best you can do any more)....is the TOTO Ultramax II, MS604114CEFG the best choice, or would one of the cheaper Toto Drake units do the job?

thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

Wallijonn

Reaction score
House built in the mid 1990's...toilets always have been terrible.

What brand(s) are they, now? Do they have exposed trap ways? If so, are the trapways smooth and sweeping or are they sweeping then take a 90 degree turn, or two?

Since you have 5 toilets the best option may be the Drake 1.6gpf toilets, CST744SL-01. You'll probably want to replace the one toilet that gets clogged the most as a test. Switch over to Scott 1000 sheet 1-ply t.p. and only use about 2 feet at a time. If it works, as I expect it to, then you can replace the other four.

A word on planning: since you have 5 toilets, one of them is probably in a hall way, and at least one is near the children's bedrooms. You may want to consider making the toilet nearest the children's bedrooms a regular height toilet, and maybe the hallway toilet if your friends bring over their children. It may be harder for a six year old to use a comfort height toilet, for example. If you have a vanity that is real close to the toilet you will probably not need to buy the pre-requiste right hand flush toilets since the Drake handles are at an angle.

My house was built 1979 and it had Briggs 3.5g toilets. They never clogged but it would take two flushes to completely clear it of solids and floaties. I have the Drake CST744SL-01 and have decreased my water use to about a fifth. (The Drake handle can be held down for no more than 1 second and it flushes about half a tank, or about 0.8g, when evacuating urine.) After seeing how much water is actually being used in the 1.6gpf Drake I will be picking up a 1.28gpf Drake, tomorrow. I expect it to evacuate just as well as the 1.6gpf Drake. It will be a regular height Drake because it is the hallway/children's toilet. Gotta think about the next owner of the house...

If the 1.6gpf Drake works well, then you may want to try the 1.28pf Drake before committing to the purchase of the last three. No, I wouldn't be surprised if by the end you go to the nice looking 1.0gpf Drake in the Master bedroom. But definitely try the 1.6gpf Drake as a replacement for the most clogging toilet in the house. (The Drakes all have nice large water-spot sizes, over 80 square inches, including the 1.28g Drakes. I consider water spot size important.) Save the master bedroom toilet for last. That's the room that you will probably want to install the UltraMax II MS604114CEFG in. By the time you get to it you will know whether or not you made the right choice.

In 2011, the San Francisco Chronicle reported that, while low-flow toilets are estimated to have saved the city of San Francisco 20 million gallons of water per year, the reduction in water volume has caused waste sludge to back up in the city sewer pipes that were designed expecting a higher ratio of water to solids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-flush_toilet

I assume that in their zeal to save water, especially now that there is a water shortage in CA., people have cut back flushing after urinating. This usually leads to bacteria growth in the bowl and may include rust/lime/mineral buildup. You don't want to do that with a Toto; flush it every time. Some will say that even for urine flushes it should be flushed fully. It may depend on your locality, the condition of your pipes and whether or not there is a water shortage.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One is 18, an athlete, female and can destroy pipes anywhere. Not kidding. Her poop is like a shot put in size and consistency. The other is in his 70's with medical problems and constipation.

With that in mind, the Caroma may be better.
I have also sold the Kohler Highline with the Flushmate pressure assist for that.

The Caroma has the largest trapway and uses gravity. They will flush a potato.
The Kohler with Flushmate, has a pressure unit pushing and breaking things up.
You should be able to find this locally
Kohler Highline with Fushmate
K-3493

Last edited:

sdb

Reaction score
With that in mind, the Caroma may be better.
I have also sold the Kohler Highline with the Flushmate pressure assist for that.

The Caroma has the largest trapway and uses gravity. They will flush a potato.
The Kohler with Flushmate, has a pressure unit pushing and breaking things up.

Thanks, I will look at both of those! I will not replace all 5 at once, but put one "good" one in and see how it handles the mini-basketballs and foot long pipe smashers first!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may be good to have at least one for them, and then you can have different product for other bathrooms.

The downside to the Caroma is cleaning. The downside to the Flushmate is noticable noise. However, you don't have much choice with your requirements here.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...I read terryloves reviews of various toilets and think that the TOTO Ultramax II, MS604114CEFG would be ideal for me. When I read the reviews online, I see most all were positive. I am MOST concerned about it clogging. I have two family members that routinely clog toilets. One is 18, an athlete, female and can destroy pipes anywhere. Not kidding. Her poop is like a shot put in size and consistency. The other is in his 70's with medical problems and constipation. The plumbing is fine other than these early model lo-flow toilets.

So, with that in mind, and wanting ADA height/tall, elongated, and would prefer a generous flow to the lower capacity (but it seems 1.6 is the best you can do any more)....is the TOTO Ultramax II, MS604114CEFG the best choice, or would one of the cheaper Toto Drake units do the job?

thanks again

Where someone has medical issues that produce super-hard stools, sometimes the bigger trapway of the Caroma toilets is helpful. 3" trapway all the way through the toilet instead of the 2.125" trapway on most Toto toilets. But I would try one Toto first and see how it goes.

The Ultramax II is a fine, fine toilet. It looks great and works great. That said, it has essentially the same flushing system as the Drake II. In other words, the trapway and bowl are very similar in design; it's what surrounds them that is different. The Ultramax II and Drake II are going to have a little better bowl wash than the Original Drake, but I can't say that the difference is ever an issue for us; we have both kinds in our house.

Since you mention online, which I think is a great place to go for reviews, let me just mention that you do stand a risk that if you order from them the thing will arive broken. In other thread, a formerly-nice contributor goes completely bezerk because the Toto we recommended arrived in pieces from FedEx. He pretty much blamed America, Japan, Toto -- everyone but himself and FedEx. The problem is that no matter how well you pack the thing, if the FedEx Ground driver hurls the thing off the back of his truck, it's going to crack. It's china. It needs to be handled carefully. Lots of online customers get their toilet intact, but if Terry's experience is a guide, more than 20 percent get them broken. You can often get a pretty-comparable price on Toto from your local plumbing supply. Just open the Yellow Pages. Look up Plumbing Supply. Whether or not they say they carry Toto, call around to no fewer than 5 places with the exact model number and color and let them know that you are willing to buy today (or order today) if their price is good/competitive. Some will give you a crazy-high price and/or be rude. At least one will be nice and have a good price. This is a universal truth borne out by dozens and dozens of our members in all parts of the country who have experienced this. The "Toto showroom" places are likely to have much higher prices; stick with your local plumbing supply joint. Remember, he is often selling at a discount to the trades, so he has room to make a deal. The key is that someone will respond to a low-headache customer who has money to spend today. And then when it comes in, you can drive over to the place, inspect the toilet and not take it home if it isn't perfect.

Once you decide, if you need help validating the model number, just let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks