Marble slab for a shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Spfrancis

Reaction score
So I have a couple of guys coming out this week to give me an estimate on the thin slab install. It will be interesting to see what this quote comes in at. I really hope to execute on this plan. The one thing that worries me is that I have a contractor doing the shower general work, and then trying to interlace an installer like this could have dire results. I know my contractor is a good guy. I don't want to get into a finger pointing match later. I hope that the installer can come in and tell me that I need to address these additional items, before he can have a successful install.

Thanks for all your help on this forum. It has been invaluable.

Sony,

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
It will also be interesting to see what recommendations the installer will make besides his quote .

As long as the contractor is open to make modifications or add-ons , if needed , it shouldn't get out of hand . Some installers may also take the prepping from a specific point up to finished product .

I am sure you are looking forward to the meeting .:)

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I think the heat and hummity is killing them. Reminds me of Mohammed Ali and the Rope A Dope trick.

Counter Attack and defend for 80% of the match and then stick it too them. When they are gassed.....

My daughter's soccer team a couple years back where gassing in the second half. To keep my little one fit we practice 20 minutes before practice and then ran a couple laps after practice. Then an extra practice once a week. More cardio. Bigger lungs. Stronger second halves...

But the heat - that kils ya. I spend nearly four years working on Grand Cayman Island. Between 11:00 and 5:00 it was insane the working conditions. Then the sun dips the breeze comes in and you get a second wind. These poor bastards are playing their guts out in this...

Freaking Awesome - Love the World Cup.

"til now ....This is One Of The Best World Cup.

Almost no disappointing games , other than favorite team not going through . Did you see the resignations of Italy's head coach and the president of their national federation ? Talking about pressure .

I know what you mean by '' no more gas '' . You are done .

And talking about Messi -- no words are necessary -- ........but the defense looks shaky . The Nigerians just raised the red flag ....Argentina needs a more stable and more compact defense . However , A win is a win , doesn't matter how is achieved . :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Missed the game today. :(

The Round of 16 is coming. Now the race for the cup is on...

I think Argentina is #$%ing with everyone. I still think they are in third gear.

Spfrancis

Reaction score
So the first contact with a company in VA didn't go well. The guy was probably one of the owners of the company, and he was basically telling me that I should be planning on spending 10-11.5K for this project. I explained to him that it appears that 2 sheets would only be 3K, is the remaining the transportation, cutting, and installing? It does sounds like the company that sells it, makes installers pick it up in Baltimore, which I'm sure is more of a pain. It still seems a tad on the high side. I also think they are talking about doing the whole shower area, rather than just doing the walls. We will see how the remaining 2 contractors will work. The first guy came across very arrogant.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
What is the deal with Spray foam?

Not to long ago I installed three ACO linear drains on a Sixty Five foot yacht. The micro slab installer crew that came out from Alberta to do the job (they backed out once they saw the scope) had planned on using spray foam to install the slabs. SPRAY FOAM. With braces and zip poles to hold things tight while it cured. They also planned on some kind of bondo product.

I cautioned the builder (yacht guy) that this sounds like a really bad idea....

The guys from Alberta walked - too much work. A new crew came in. The new crew primed the back of the slabs with some primer from Ardex and then set them like tile.

Are you kidding , right ?:mad:

Nope - they even showed me the spray foam in the truck. They had cases of it with them......

A five man crew showed up to install the marble in the three heads and galley. They planned on a five day install.

5x5=25 man days. Once they saw the job and the detail they quit on the spot and walked. The new crew took over a month to finish and did from what little I've seen a great job.....

Last edited:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
So the first contact with a company in VA didn't go well. The guy was probably one of the owners of the company, and he was basically telling me that I should be planning on spending 10-11.5K for this project. I explained to him that it appears that 2 sheets would only be 3K, is the remaining the transportation, cutting, and installing? It does sounds like the company that sells it, makes installers pick it up in Baltimore, which I'm sure is more of a pain. It still seems a tad on the high side. I also think they are talking about doing the whole shower area, rather than just doing the walls. We will see how the remaining 2 contractors will work. The first guy came across very arrogant.

How much did you budget for the shower area -- tiles or stone work ( WP membrane included ) -- ?

Did the GC budget it ?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I recently priced out a Laminam Crossville slab shower. The laminam panels were not that expensive in the big scheme of things. What absolutely killed the dream shower was The specialty pallet/crate and shipping charges. Killed the job dead.

Sourcing local slabs must be the way to go for a one off project.. The shipping set up charge was more that the slabs themselves!

Spfrancis

Reaction score
I recently priced out a Laminam Crossville slab shower. The laminam panels were not that expensive in the big scheme of things. What absolutely killed the dream shower was The specialty pallet/crate and shipping charges. Killed the job dead.

Sourcing local slabs must be the way to go for a one off project.. The shipping set up charge was more that the slabs themselves!

Roberto,
I have difficulty getting past it costing in the Callacatta marble price range. If you guys think it will be very compare able to a high end marble, then I will accept that. I believe the one companies phone quote is just going to be high by nature of being a phone quote, and I felt like he was trying to prepare me for a high number. I am hoping to get one more quote before I may an assessment.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
spfrancis said:
RSCB said:
Originally Posted by RedShoecounterbalance View Post

Roberto,
I have difficulty getting past it costing in the Callacatta marble price range. If you guys think it will be very compare able to a high end marble, then I will accept that. I believe the one companies phone quote is just going to be high by nature of being a phone quote, and I felt like he was trying to prepare me for a high number. I am hoping to get one more quote before I may an assessment.

Clever , combining the quote with the answer .:D

A job is worth investing if the results will be there at the end . I am not trying to sell you on the idea of using the thin slabs , but look at it as an option .

Finding the ones -- maybe more expensive than regular installers -- which can accomplish the installation , trouble free , is probably the challenge .

Nothing wrong going with a 12 x 24 regular marble tile , you just have to decide if the maintenance in the long run is worthy .

A high end shower -- linear drain , top notch waterproofing , custom design for tiles , epoxy grout , etc . -- is worth the investment in my opinion , But I do that for living and may sound biased .

I really wish you will find the right installer for your project .:)

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I am in no way telling you that laminam will appear as marble. It is simply an option .

Many times
You will be able to source your slabs from a shop with on site fabrication and installers.

Look into your local countertop fabrication experts that can expertly scribe cut and template.

Last edited:

Spfrancis

Reaction score
I am in no way telling you that laminam will appear as marble. It is simply an option .

Many times
You will be able to source your slabs from a shop with on site fabrication and installers.

Look into your local countertop fabrication experts that can expertly scribe cut and template.

Yeah, I know what you were talking about with the laminan product. It is a great solution. Very similar in handling to the thin slab product from Architectural ceramics, I would imagine.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thin Slab Marble for Yacht's three showers (Heads)

Here are a few pictures I was sent from the slab installer on that yacht I worked on last year.

The Stone work was all installed by this fellow.

Stewart Maxwell

After looking at his web site the man is an artist with the rock and slab! Check it out here
CherryStone Construction

Last edited:

Spfrancis

Reaction score
So I wanted to pick on this thread a bit more, since I'm really wanting to move forward with this thin slab, but I may just be trying to get installers motivated at a time, that they have so much work, and not enough time to get back to folks. I have contacted 5 installers who are on the list that the thin slab folks have provided. Mind you, only one contractor has the "TS"(thin slab) designation next to their name. So I was talking to my main contractor, who is a great guy, and he is telling me that he thinks he can cut this. I'm worried, as I expressed earlier, that I think he may be out of his depth. I asked him how he would support the 5x10, while you cut, and he was saying to use plywood to support the majority of the slab, while you cut the piece you want. I know that RedShoe had talked about a MK 660 Diamond saw and he could cut 4foot segments. With the right amount of care, and a wetsaw, can we be successful doing this? I'm sure this is a loaded question.

I was thinking the other thought was to have him transport it to a fabricator, who can make the necessary cuts that we specify. So I have to figure that if you can lay this thin slab on edge (for transport), with memory foam type material all around it, this should be enough support to transport around around 5-10 miles of driving. ACI will not deliver it, so I would have to pick it up, and get it to a fabricator. Any thoughts on either approach?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks