Water softener won't soften

Users who are viewing this thread

spatz

Reaction score
I have a 3-year-old Kenmore water softener, model 625383000. Twas working fine until last week it stopped softening. Brine tank fills with water - now at the "5" level and three inches above the salt. I've replaced the venturi gasket, looked for clogs in the brine line, and put the brine well rig in a water bucket and hit "regenerate now". All that happened was the water bucket filled up with about 6 gallons, then the unit quit making noise and nothing has happened since. What's my next step?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
There may be a flow plug installed in the venturi that is clogged. Remove it, place unit in a draw cycle to see if that corrects the problem. The flow plug in the center of the venturi housing is not the one I'm referring to. If it still fills, the fig 8 o ring may be at fault.

spatz

Reaction score
There may be a flow plug installed in the venturi that is clogged.
There are two flow plugs - one in the center of the housing; one at the side of the venturi itself, both with tiny holes. I forgot to mention I cleaned them with a paper clip. But neither were clogged. ... I'm planning to swap out the drain line with a new one. The existing line goes up to the ceiling, across the joists about 20 feet, then down into a 1 1/2-inch sanitary line. However, once it hits the ceiling I can't inspect it because of finished walls, ceiling, etc. The new line would be temporary and go to a nearby floor drain, leading to my storm water pit. If the unit works, then I've isolated the problem. But how to fix it (if it's a clogged original drain), will be a challenge.

spatz

Reaction score
Where is the Fig 8 o-ring? I have an o-ring at the top of the venturi assembly, and I believe there's at least one in the bypass valve. Either of those?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The fig 8 o ring is located under the main cap. It seal 2 ports (for brine draw & fill). Sometimes it will allow water in the wrong port which causes a refill instead of a draw. Most of the time the fault is in the venturi assembly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks