HELP!! I can't flush my Sloan Flushmate (Gerber) toilet!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Penny Weiss

Bless our troops!
Reaction score
Problem: I can't flush my Sloan Flushmate (Gerber) toilet

Story: I bought this house in 2010 and was startled the first time I flushed the toilet; I opened the back and found I had a Sloan Flushmate. Knowing nothing about this toilet, I called the number on the label. A very nice man told me that the toilet was not under warranty. Why didn't he then tell me it was on recall? Maybe it wasn't at that time? I researched online and followed a link to YouTube. I watched the videos on the 2 replaceable parts, did the tests, and found them to test okay. Great.. power flush!!

I recently found that the toilet was 'drooling' down the inside of the bowl and since I am in the middle of a remodel, figured I'd replace it. I had a plumber here to do some other work and told him about the toilet. He said it was the cartridge, 99% of the time. I told him I tested it, but you know, I'm a woman. He located a new cartridge and one of his guys came to install it. It continued to drool. He removed it and replaced the old cartridge. The toilet was removed to the outside for the remodel and I went online to see who carries these toilets which is when I found that they are on recall.

I called a gal at Flushmate who asked me how many threads I can see above the cartridge and told her 1. She said I should see 3 or 4, and that could be the cause. She sent me the repair kit as well as a new cartridge. I installed the repair kit, sliding the metal u-band under the tank between the supply hose and the tank. I attached the external regulator. Remember, the toilet is outside at this point.

Today, the tiling has been completed and the toilet brought in to be connected. New bolts, new wax rings, and then the water was turned on. The tank was filling up and it continued drooling into the bowl more than it did before! He turned off the water and when I tried to flush it to release the pressure, the plunger would not plunge.. well, it does a little, but then stops.

Back to the problem. We're afraid to touch anything.. afraid to disconnect the water supply or anything! How can I release the pressure in the tank to remove and replace the cartridge? If I disconnect the water supply, will the water come out of the tank all over my brand new tile?? We haven't grouted around the toilet, so water will go underneath! What a mess!!

HELP!!! Stuck drooling in California!!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you don't like the startle factor of this pressure-assist toilet, you could avail yourself of a well-performing Toto Drake for just a little over $200. Simple gravity flush system clears the bowl reliably. Or the Drake II for a little more than $100 more.

Sloan makes a good product; I'm sure if you continue to talk to the manufacturer, they can guide you through the issues you raise. One of the pros on here may also be able to help.

Penny Weiss

Bless our troops!
Reaction score
Update: I do have to say that Flushmate has been awesome, to say the least! I called today and explained that the kit they sent didn't work, nor did the new cartridge they provided at no charge.

They are shipping out a new tank! I'll let you know if that resolves this problem since it will be a new, 2014 not-yet-under-recall tank! I just wish I had a wrench to remove the old tank. I don't think I have an oil filter wrench, as that would work. Aha! 99-cent store!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I don't really like pressure assisted toilets. THis is not to say that they don't work - most do. Some toilet designs (nothing to do with the Flushmate part) aren't the greatest, and tend to shred things, leaving little bits. Plus, you have the noise factor, which can be a nuisance in the middle of the night, or to guests nearly anytime. But, given a choice, I"d always go with a gravity flush toilet in a home.

Penny Weiss

Bless our troops!
Reaction score
I replaced the entire tank, sent to me free of charge by Sloan, and it's still leaking down the inside of the toilet!! They suggested taking the tank off and putting LimeAway into the hole to dissolve anything that might be in the innards of the toilet bowl. I put it in until I saw it come out of the holes in the bowl, left it for an hour, put the tank back on and flushed it. It continued to drain down into the bowl.

The next step is to contact Gerber. :(

Penny Weiss

Bless our troops!
Reaction score
Personally, I don't really like pressure assisted toilets. THis is not to say that they don't work - most do. Some toilet designs (nothing to do with the Flushmate part) aren't the greatest, and tend to shred things, leaving little bits. Plus, you have the noise factor, which can be a nuisance in the middle of the night, or to guests nearly anytime. But, given a choice, I"d always go with a gravity flush toilet in a home.

Yea, it startled me the first time I flushed it when I bought this house. I figured they had a reason for the power flush, so I kinda like it :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks