First septic tank owner

Users who are viewing this thread

websurfer

Reaction score
Hello,

I was looking for some help to track down a smell that i believe is from our septic system. I wanted to give a quick overview of the issues and what i have tracked down so far.

We just bought this home 2 weeks ago. When we first bought the home we had the the septic system overhauled. We had it pumped out added risers and dug up the leech line to check for any issues and clear out some roots that made there way in. After this the system was tested and passed inspection.

After we moved in we would notice a strong gas smell on the patio you can smell a strong odor like propane that seemed like it would come from the septic system. It was hard for me to track down the smell because is was not always present and we live in a valley with strong winds. However one day it was super bad and i was able to track down the smell. About 4-5 feet away from the septic tank we had a few bushes and the smell under them was pretty strong. So i dug up them up and i found a 4 inch pvc pipe with no cover or filter on it. The smell was intense however after about 10 min it went away and now it just comes and goes.

I bought a carbon filter to install thinking this was my vent stack however after reading more i do not believe this is my vent stack as it looks like i have one above the bathrooms on the roof. When the toilets are flushed you can hear sounds of water running down the pipe. I really want to track this down as the smell sometimes make me feel sick.. We cant open the windows in the back because when the smell does come the wind will take it into the home. The odd part is some days you never smell it others days you do and some times its really bad..

I was going to install the filter on the open pipe but im not sure if i will break something doing this. Or if this pipe need to be capped off and not open at all.

I have attached a few photos to see if any one can help me out.

Thank you for your help

Justin

2014-06-18 17.05.49.jpg

2014-06-18 17.07.18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Was that section part of the overhaul? If so, the overhaulers should finish their job. That pipe should either be capped, or extended high. Normally the venting for the septic tank is via the house sewers up through the roof. Do you have at least one roof vent?

It is possible that this is a cleanout, but in that case it should be capped. If it is a vent, it should extend up a long way.

websurfer

Reaction score
Reach4

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately the overhaul was only from the tank to the leach field. So this part was never inspected. I had no clue it was even there until i removed the bush. I do have what i believe is a vent stack on top of the roof as its inline with this up-caped 4 inch pipe and above my restroom.

Just have no clue what to do with this open pipe. I don't want my kids to toss something in it nor do i want anything else to go down it. I'm sure a ton of rocks have all ready made there way down this pipe as it was pretty covered up with stuff before i uncovered it.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I would be thinking of putting a cleanout with plug.
Yes, or just slip a cap over the top temporarily without cementing it to see what happens. When effluent goes into your septic tank, the air it displaces has to go somewhere...and hopefully you will find it vents up through your roof without gurgling a toilet or other trap somewhere.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
USE WHAT PROFESSIONALS CALL A JIM CAP IT JUST SLIPS OVER THE PIPE http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/residential-plumbing/qwik-caps

DO "NOT" TIGHTEN THE BAND UNLESS YOU THINK YOUR CHILDREN WILL PULL IT OFF !

THAT WAY IF THE DRAIN LINE BACKS UP FOR ANY REASON IT WILL POP OFF,
BETTER TO HAVE THE WATER AND WASTE RUNNING ON THE GROUND OUTSIDE THE HOUSE THEN BACKING UP IN YOUR DRAINS AND OVERFLOWING

websurfer

Reaction score
Thank you all i have capped off the pipe. now time to wait and hope nothing else happens.

Thank you for all the help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks