Use of registered names like ROMEX® on this forum, this is a poll

How should we treat the brand ROMEX®

• Star out and censor the word, problem solved!

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Have moderators add the ® sign

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Ignore the entire issue. Do other manufacturers do this?

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tell posters how to add the ® o they can use it with Romex®, Disposal®, Fernco® and the other tr

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There was a meeting between some advertising executives and a "facial tissue" company. One of the ad people made some comment about "Klennex" and you could have heard a pin drop. They are NOT concerned about you referencing a "Pfister", (no longer Price Pfister) as long as THAT is what you are working with, nor when a catalog lists THEIR product under their trade name. Their concern is when you use there name as a "generic" term for the type of material. Just call it "NM" wire and there is no problem.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
looks like they are in a lawsuit themselves with a company called 'high wire ventures' (rome cable) for the exact same thing-use of the term romex. looks like they failed to renew it when it expired in 2005 and there is an ongoing open case.

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=91192937&pty=OPP&eno=6

look at the right, click on the one from 3/2/10

Good stuff Chad, Thank You.

It gets very expensive to keep up with the cost of Patents and Trademarks.

The problem that I see with Patents and Trademarks is that they are United States NOT World Wide Enforced.

When You Patent something in the United States it ENABLES other country's to make Copies, Because all of your secrets have to be Documented, then they are put on the web as public file for all to build and copy.

The only thing is that they can not sell their Copied products Legally in the United States.

The Registration Fee is NOT Free and more companies just say Screw It, Then they can loose it.

Registration Fees for Patents and Trademarks have became more expensive, the U.S. only Registers it, And can not enforce its use in all other Countries.

Last edited:

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Make it a sticky and call it good!

This just be the start of many more.

Most people that ask questions here would not know what you mean if you said nmb instead of romex!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are many products that have been around for so long their names are commonly used for they type of product, and not their brand name. In a way, they are the victims of their own success. Just off the top of my head I can list several. Band Aid, Kleenex, Hoover, Sawzall, Roto Rooter, just to name a few. I recently read a news article that Chick Flay, is suing a New Hampshire company for promoting the sale of Kale cabbage with a slogan, "Eat Mor Kale". Disney has been successful in preventing the use of Mickey Mouse, and other Disney names even though the were used on non competing businesses that couldn't possibly harm the Disney image. It is interesting to me that until I read concern about R***x, I really didn't realize it was a sacred brand name. I'm sure next time I need some shielded wire I will still ask for R***x, hell, smock man would know what I wanted if I called it #12-2 shielded cable.LOL

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think we could just use the term "Kleenex" when talking about wire. Noone will know the difference!@

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Trying to make us use the trademark on rooomex is just a 'bandaid' for their troubles.

If bandaid has gone so far as to be an adjective, then let Bev be proud that hers is now a generic.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
repeat. still some weird edit issues.

I do notice when I post , the post is not the same after it is saved on the server.

You can Click Stay on page when you get the leave page message, Then Click the Close Window in your browser.

Or open a new Window and make sure your post worked, before closing the post window.

Just for a work around.

It may have something to do with a Micro Moderator. Sorry but You and I know who You are...

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I see there was a late entry to the poll, the "Tell posters how to add the ®..." was added after many had already voted. Now matter how simple you make it, it will be too complex for some folk. One forum I participate on added symbols to their list of smilies but then assume people can master the add smiley button...

If the word R O M E X were added to the list of blocked words, would not it still be blocked if the ® was appended?

Even if the ® was appended, there is still their demand to "state on your message board that ROMEX® is a registered trademark of Southwire Company" which I'm sure they want to be displayed on every page the registered trade name is used.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Most people that ask questions here would not know what you mean if you said nmb instead of romex

They are the ones the Romex company is trying to reach. If they want Romex, buy it, if they want some other nonmetallic covered wire ask for that.

Reaction score
I say screw Bev, and they should be thrilled to get free advertising.

Romeex-bandaaids-kleeenex have all become generics now.

She has plenty of time on her hands to write here, because romolex sales are down about 80% from our depression. Most wire is getting stolen from foreclosed half finished houses, so you can buy it on theftbayy now.

R*****x has NOT become generic yet, and this action on the part of Southwire is required of them to prevent its doing so.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
This is a little late for the discussion but I bet the folks at Romex spent all there time adding the little copyright symbol into their web site posts and pictures. Then regular posters place the name without.

Then some Brain-E-Act at Romex goggles his own product and finds Terry's Site 9 time out of 10 !!! LOL

I say if the guys are bitching just boycott the name and promote their competitor instead.

People can always use lumex can't they instead?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks