Name That Shower Drain - A Picture Post Online Game for Plumbers and Tile Men

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Roberto.

I guess that drain is the Kerdi Line Drain with tile insert grate.

IS that a spot of rust forming under the foot of the grate and the base of the channel body?

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
IS that a spot of rust forming under the foot of the grate and the base of the channel body?

Yes John .

The shower is barely used for now , but it is not looking good .

I think the ACO drains have an advantage with their finished channels and grates .

Next step is to chrome a new grate and see if the rust spots are still forming.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Roberto your shower drain makes the second Kerdi Line drain I've seen with rust issues. After the first one I scratched the channel body of my Kerdi Line drain with the words. "Does a Scratched Kerdi Drain Rust".

I tested it for over three weeks. No rust seen.

I did not how ever test the tile insert grate. Is there a chance that is transfer from some pipe cutting. Or a piece off a box cutter blade?

I'd sand out the rust and buff that bitch out. Shitty.

Is that a point for me? Do I get a bonus point for naming the drain and the grate option?

Roberto here is a copy of an email I got from someone at Schluter a while back. I asked about rust in a linear drain of theirs....

Hi John,

Difficult to offer much input without knowing the nature of the application (e.g., any chemical exposure, types of cleaners used, etc.). Our general response regarding the issue of stainless steel corrosion is as follows.

"Stainless steel is the name given to a group of corrosion resistant and high temperature steels. Their resistance to corrosion is due to a chromium-rich oxide film which forms on the surface. When ordinary carbon steel is exposed to rain water, for example, it corrodes forming a brown iron oxide, commonly called rust, on the surface. But when enough chromium (more than about 10%) is added to ordinary steel, the oxide on the surface is transformed - it is very thin, virtually invisible and protective in a wide range of corrosive media. This is what we call stainless steel. There is a common misconception that stainless steel is corrosion proof. It is in fact very corrosion resistant. It needs to be cleaned periodically to avoid the buildup of dirt, deposits, etc. that can interrupt the chromium-oxide film and make the material much more susceptible to corrosion, particularly in harsh environments.

Our Profiles Data Sheets state the following regarding maintenance of stainless steel:

“Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a mild household cleaner. Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion. All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid. Stainless steel surfaces develop a sheen when treated with a chrome-polishing agent."

Stainless steel corrosion can be removed from the metal with Naval Jelly or similar products."

Hope that helps,

After the service call of mine I never heard back from the people.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
4 - JW
2 - CounterBalace
0 - Roberto
0 - Vegas
0 - Terry
0 - HJ

I awarded myself two points for the rusting Kerdi Line Drain Correct Guess

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The rust I believe was a free gift from the plumber. I suspect he cut some screws inside the shower stall or used a file at some point. The channel grate is the wrong size for there floor thickness and the entire install is a bit of a shit show...

The drain does not have weep holes.

What's your guess?

You are a sucker for points , John. LOL:D

Just calling the points like I see them. LOL Can't help that I'm winning. Come on this last drain should be an easy guess....

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
The rust I believe was a free gift from the plumber. I suspect he cut some screws inside the shower stall or used a file at some point. The channel grate is the wrong size for there floor thickness and the entire install is a bit of a shit show...

The drain does not have weep holes.

What's your guess?

Just calling the points like I see them. LOL Can't help that I'm winning. Come on this last drain should be an easy guess....

Ok , just a guess.......

Someone's archive :)

Last edited:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Wrong Roberto. That's an ACO drain in that link.

I can't fool an expert like you -- Linear shower drain knowledge -- , so the o mark is not broken .

I am only good in taking pictures......LOL

CLG -- EL004.jpg

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Roberto.

Your last picture is a teaser shot of your new custom cut Eurob Grate linear drain.

The last link was an ACO plain edge channel going in over a standard Kerdi Drain out in White Rock.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Me? No. I have never gone this route. A few builders like it but not me. I roughed in a Kerdi Drain into my ensuite years back. Going to start tackling the bathroom soon. After learning what I know about their staff and products these past few years - First thing I'm going to do is cut out the Kerdi Drain and work with something less restrictive. I prefer working with materials I need to be less careful with when describing them online.

And then there is the issue of no weep holes with the Kerdi drain - I don't like that....

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Roberto.

Your last picture is a teaser shot of your new custom cut Eurob Grate linear drain.

No teaser shot , John .

Custom linear grate -- Eurocerob logo 005.jpg

It didn't fit the first time -- too large after bending -- , but the second one looks good .

Custom linear grate -- Eurocerob.jpg

Free draining problems -- no puddles around the drain -- .

Custom linear grate -- Eurocerob 2.jpg

Now , time to make the final adjustments and then chrome that '' baby '' .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Custom Chrome Plated Linear Drain Grates - Montreal

Nice.

I think that's another point for me. I guessed your custom drain grate.

I've been waiting for the reveal. Nice work Roberto. Was it water cut?

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Online Game Scoe Update - Name that Shower Drain Game.

Never seen a Plasma Cutter....

OK.

No one guessed that the drain with rust in it (both mine and Roberto's) was in fact a Kerdi Line drain. So I get another point for that post. I'll award another one point for the custom grate guess and the updated score is as follows.

6 - JW
2 - CounterBalace
0 - Roberto
0 - Vegas
0 - Terry
0 - HJ

Man the German Squad looked strong yesterday..... And I'm worried about the intensity in the French Players eyes. I have a strong feeling they are going to make a long run for the cup!

Last edited:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Great , I am still a zero mark ......like Portugal's Squad . Did you see Ronaldo getting rid of his jersey at half time ?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
To bad a fresh jersey did not help him out. The Germans look dangerous.....

He has to take off his shirt. Otherwise his 27 Million Twitter Fans might be upset.

Cristiano-Ronaldo-Shirtless-White-Shorts.jpg

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Whipple 6???

Man, just because im out working 10 hr days on an actual tile project and have a busted computer i guess i cant keep up!

Cerob, nice plasma action. Maybe a bit vain! But still cool. Whats the price tag now?? on the drain and the custom grate after plating??

Soccer schmocker!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks