Fliter changes

Users who are viewing this thread

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Don, that same photo sits on my hard drive right next to the one I have of a Bart Simpson Belly Button Tattoo. If you do not have one of those, Google it and you can add it to your collection, waiting to use it at an appropriate occasion. I just emailed it to my brother in response to something he said.

I have an Aprilaire Filtration system, so I know how expensive those MERV 13 filters are. I think I paid 43 bucks for the last element replacement. I seem them available for somewhat less now, though

OOPS! I left out your quote.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hi Don, that same photo sits on my hard drive right next to the one I have of a Bart Simpson Belly Button Tattoo. If you do not have one of those, Google it and you can add it to your collection, waiting to use it at an appropriate occasion. I just emailed it to my brother in response to something he said.

I have an Aprilaire Filtration system, so I know how expensive those MERV 13 filters are. I think I paid 43 bucks for the last element replacement. I seem them available for somewhat less now, though

OOPS! I left out your quote.

But do you have pitot tubes to tell you when to change filters ?

If not, You are Just Guessing.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
But do you have pitot tubes to tell you when to change filters ?

If not, You are Just Guessing.
Well then, I guess I am guessing ( I guess). I change the filter once a year whether it needs it or not, just like I change the oil and filters in my car and truck routinely. I could save money by using a viscometer, acid testing stuff, check the oil for available residual lube molecules, and hold the air filter up to a light, but I choose to just routinely replace them to waste money. I guess.

DonL

Reaction score
Well then, I guess I am guessing ( I guess). I change the filter once a year whether it needs it or not, just like I change the oil and filters in my car and truck routinely. I could save money by using a viscometer, acid testing stuff, check the oil for available residual lube molecules, and hold the air filter up to a light, but I choose to just routinely replace them to waste money. I guess.

You crack me up Bob. You was missed.

I think you need to step up to new Tech, with WiFi that tells you your filters are dirty.

I have been needing a good IP to hack, O - get the camera option.

Shopco

Reaction score
“But do you have pitot tubes to tell you when to change filters ? If not, You are Just Guessing.”

“Well then, I guess I am guessing ( I guess). I change the filter once a year whether it needs it or not, just like I change the oil and filters in my car and truck routinely. I could save money by using a viscometer, acid testing stuff, check the oil for available residual lube molecules, and hold the air filter up to a light, but I choose to just routinely replace them to waste money. I guess.”

“Mockery is the lowest form of comment; employed only by the ignorant man” – Sir Lloyd Mehlman

“The same variables that affect filter selection also contribute to the problem of determining when a filter has reached the tolerable limit of its effective life span as a result of the accumulation of contaminants. Because of wide variation in contaminant load in the air being filtered, time is an uncertain measurement. Visual inspection of the condition of the filter tells little or nothing. The most widely used method of checking filter condition is to measure pressure drop across the filter by means of an air filter gage. All filter manufacturers supply technical data which will permit full utilization of their filters. This data will include initial resistance in inches of water column for the filter at its rated air flow and a recommended resistance at which point the filter should be replaced or serviced.” - Dwyer Instruments

The rest of your tag line “Jack of all trades” is “Master of none”

Last edited:

Lone Star Charles

Reaction score
shopco - The info that you have gathered from Dwyer is spot on. Like I said earlier, I have used Dwyer equipment in the past and found it to be very good.

In answer to your question - yes, the static port is usually oriented perpendicular to the air flow.

I think that you are on the right track based on your original posting. Keep in mind that the higher the MERV rating the greater the initial pressure drop as well as the final pressure drop. This usually means that to achieve adequate airflow, you will have to increase the filter area if you are going to increase MERV rating.

Sound like a fun project. Keep us posted.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
“But do you have pitot tubes to tell you when to change filters ? If not, You are Just Guessing.”

“Well then, I guess I am guessing ( I guess). I change the filter once a year whether it needs it or not, just like I change the oil and filters in my car and truck routinely. I could save money by using a viscometer, acid testing stuff, check the oil for available residual lube molecules, and hold the air filter up to a light, but I choose to just routinely replace them to waste money. I guess.”

“Mockery is the lowest form of comment; employed only by the ignorant man” – Sir Lloyd Mehlman

“The same variables that affect filter selection also contribute to the problem of determining when a filter has reached the tolerable limit of its effective life span as a result of the accumulation of contaminants. Because of wide variation in contaminant load in the air being filtered, time is an uncertain measurement. Visual inspection of the condition of the filter tells little or nothing. The most widely used method of checking filter condition is to measure pressure drop across the filter by means of an air filter gage. All filter manufacturers supply technical data which will permit full utilization of their filters. This data will include initial resistance in inches of water column for the filter at its rated air flow and a recommended resistance at which point the filter should be replaced or serviced.” - Dwyer Instruments

The rest of your tag line “Jack of all trades” is “Master of none”
You'll get far here. Don and I (well, I'll speak only for myself) are/am dumb, so thanks for the compliment. Some things are not worth fussing about, like replacing filters routinely. You seem to be the one with a real problem, having (still) 4 air returns in a relatively small house. Replacing 4 filters of this type is expensive. Maybe if you were talking about a large office complex, but a 1K Sq ft house? Absurd. Do you have a Bart Simpson Belly Button tattoo?

Shopco

Reaction score
shopco - The info that you have gathered from Dwyer is spot on. Like I said earlier, I have used Dwyer equipment in the past and found it to be very good.

In answer to your question - yes, the static port is usually oriented perpendicular to the air flow.

I think that you are on the right track based on your original posting. Keep in mind that the higher the MERV rating the greater the initial pressure drop as well as the final pressure drop. This usually means that to achieve adequate airflow, you will have to increase the filter area if you are going to increase MERV rating.

Sound like a fun project. Keep us posted.

Dwyer is great! Their tech’s are available and helpful. One call shopping, as they have it already all worked out (it’s what they do). They got me all fixed-up for a buck-and-a quarter which is less than the manometer I had my eye on from ****.

Since I don’t know what velocities I am dealing with the tech suggested I go with the pitot/static set-up (as opposed to the straight static port) and a 2”wc magnehelic gauge.

The filter manufacturer provided initial and change-out numbers so we’re in clover.

Thanks for your input.

- Bruce

Shopco

Reaction score
You'll get far here. Don and I (well, I'll speak only for myself) are/am dumb, so thanks for the compliment. Some things are not worth fussing about, like replacing filters routinely. You seem to be the one with a real problem, having (still) 4 air returns in a relatively small house. Replacing 4 filters of this type is expensive. Maybe if you were talking about a large office complex, but a 1K Sq ft house? Absurd. Do you have a Bart Simpson Belly Button tattoo?

I agree, they are absurd; there used to be 5! As I stated earlier they were installed by an HVAC “professional” who, as it turned out, was not very good at his job. The decision was made to leave them there because 1; they don’t really hurt anything (according to my new tech) and 2; it would cost over $2k to have them removed and have the plaster and ducting reworked.

As far as being more expensive, yes, it costs 4x as much to replace them but they should also last 4x as long (theoretically).

As far as you being dumb; I never said that. If you want to change your filters on a routine basis then more power to you, but the entire reason for this post was to discuss methods of actually quantifying filter change intervals. So you think that is unnecessary, fine, state your opinion if you must. To continue on and call me stupid for disagreeing is another matter.

As far as my having a problem, perhaps so, but not with you. Can’t we all just get along?

I can make nothing of the Bart Simpson reference. Would you care to enlighten me?

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

I agree, they are absurd; there used to be 5! As I stated earlier they were installed by an HVAC “professional†who, as it turned out, was not very good at his job. The decision was made to leave them there because 1; they don’t really hurt anything (according to my new tech) and 2; it would cost over $2k to have them removed and have the plaster and ducting reworked.

As far as being more expensive, yes, it costs 4x as much to replace them but they should also last 4x as long (theoretically).

As far as you being dumb; I never said that. If you want to change your filters on a routine basis then more power to you, but the entire reason for this post was to discuss methods of actually quantifying filter change intervals. So you think that is unnecessary, fine, state your opinion if you must. To continue on and call me stupid for disagreeing is another matter.

As far as my having a problem, perhaps so, but not with you. Can’t we all just get along?

I can make nothing of the Bart Simpson reference. Would you care to enlighten me?

Shopco, of course we can get along. Don and I are not here to offend anybody, we just poke some tongue in cheek humor into some threads. I overdo many things myself, mostly in buying tools and gadgets.

As far as the Bart Simpson belly button tatto, if you google it, it will pop up as the first hit. AND, my reference to it was you mooning us, perhaps :eek: Welcome to TerryLove.com

Lone Star Charles

Reaction score
Don and I are not here to offend anybody, we just poke some tongue in cheek humor into some threads.

Reminds me of some lines from the movie "Terms of Endearment":

Sam Burns: You're a very rude young woman. I know Douglas from the Rotary and I can't believe he'd want you treating customers so badly.

Checkout Girl: I don't think I was treating her badly.

Sam Burns: Then you must be from New York.

JerryR

Reaction score
Reminds me of some lines from the movie "Terms of Endearment":

Sam Burns: You're a very rude young woman. I know Douglas from the Rotary and I can't believe he'd want you treating customers so badly.

Checkout Girl: I don't think I was treating her badly.

Sam Burns: Then you must be from New York.

My favorite movie line of all time. I can still see him standing at the checkout politely saying this to the girl. Classic.

I was brought up in NY. My elderly mother drives me crazy with her NY attitude. She was actually banned from a supermarket in Florida. She was using the handicap electric shopping carts and she was bumping into people for them to get out of her way.

We went to a Wendy's a few months ago. She ordered the $1 hamburger and free senior drink. She took her hamburger to the counter, slammed it on the counter and announced to the young girl "this isn't fit for human consumption". I'm surprised she didn't scream "where's the beef?"

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My favorite movie line of all time. I can still see him standing at the checkout politely saying this to the girl. Classic.

I was brought up in NY. My elderly mother drives me crazy with her NY attitude. She was actually banned from a supermarket in Florida. She was using the handicap electric shopping carts and she was bumping into people for them to get out of her way.

We went to a Wendy's a few months ago. She ordered the $1 hamburger and free senior drink. She took her hamburger to the counter, slammed it on the counter and announced to the young girl "this isn't fit for human consumption". I'm surprised she didn't scream "where's the beef?"
Actually there are a lot of nasty people in NY. But I think per capita, it is about the same as anywhere else. More nice people in NYC than nasty ones. I'm somewhere in between. I've spent time in every state in the US except Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Seen nasty people in every one including Florida; especially Forida. Oh, that's where the nasty NY'ers move to LOL.

Reach4

Reaction score
Seen nasty people in every one including Florida; especially Forida. Oh, that's where the nasty NY'ers move to LOL.
To be more specific, the east coast of Florida.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Update: I went to replace my expensive Aprilaire 213 filter media and was very shocked when I opened up the
housing (looks like a PC full size tower Case) and saw that the media had fallen apart. The pleated media had detached from the plastic strip on top that keeps the media stretched open. There was no filtration going on at all. A differential pressure reading would have shown up as a nice clean filter, I guess. I called the manufacturer and was told that they had a problem with some of these, and they snet me a free replacement. The old media, which was from last season was quite dirty, and I did not SEE any crap on the evaporator coil fins, so I hope it was just a few days from the time it fell apart to when I discovered it. The old filter was glued to the plastic strips, and the heat of the attic did its job on the glue. They changed the design to stapling it together now..

Oh well, so much for readings.:rolleyes:

DonL

Reaction score
Update: I went to replace my expensive Aprilaire 213 filter media and was very shocked when I opened up the
housing (looks like a PC full size tower Case) and saw that the media had fallen apart. The pleated media had detached from the plastic strip on top that keeps the media stretched open. There was no filtration going on at all. A differential pressure reading would have shown up as a nice clean filter, I guess. I called the manufacturer and was told that they had a problem with some of these, and they snet me a free replacement. The old media, which was from last season was quite dirty, and I did not SEE any crap on the evaporator coil fins, so I hope it was just a few days from the time it fell apart to when I discovered it. The old filter was glued to the plastic strips, and the heat of the attic did its job on the glue. They changed the design to stapling it together now..

Oh well, so much for readings.:rolleyes:[/QUOTEWhy did you not just use Duct Tape ?

Oh well, so much for readings.:rolleyes:

I just take the filters out and the efficiency is much better. To much restriction when they get dirty. lol

Duct tape works to repair them cheap filters.

Hello Bob, and the group.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks