Moen ioDigital Shower piping questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Mustangous

Reaction score
Hey All,
Just Registered, but been long time reader of this site and this site has helped me tremendously over the years! Thanks all! Searching has got all my questions answered till now. Long story short, we just raised the roof on our ranch house and added 4 bedrooms, master bath, 2nd bath and a small laundry room.

The question I have is with the master bath shower piping. We are doing a smaller sized steam shower that measures 66"x36". I have the moen io digital controller with the 4 outputs and wish they had 6. This is how i was thinking of setting up the outputs and I am DEFINITLY open for suggestions.
Output 1: Rain Shower (grohe F20)
Output 2: (2) shower Heads
Output 3: (4) body sprays, (2) on either wll (grohe F5)
Output 4: hand shower just to help wash and clean the shower.

Reason for the 2 shower heads is because the wife wanted to be able to take showers at the same time and using the same water temp is ok with us.

Anyway, Im attaching a picture of the piping layout I was thinking and just want to make sure that the body sprays and 2 shower heads are correct. master_layout.jpg

Or do i have to send a balancing loop back from each fixture like I have in the next picture?

master_layout_02.jpg

Thanks
Troy

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would not plumb like the second picture. The first one looks better.
In fact, it's debatable that you need to loop as much as you have on the first picture. That's how their instructions are though.

io-digital-01.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The second installation is ridiculous. The first one has some extra piping but nothing outrageous. if I were doing it, depending on the construction, I might run the piping low in the walls to eliminate "nuisance" dripping after the valve is closed.

Last edited:

Mustangous

Reaction score
I would not plumb like the second picture.
In fact, it's debatable that you need to loop as much as you have on the first picture. That's how their instructions are though.
Great, thank you for your response!
The second installation is ridiculous. The first one has some extra piping but nothing outrageous. if I were doing it, depending on the construction, I might run the piping low in the walls to eliminate "nuisance" dripping after the valve is closed.
Did not think of that! Great suggestion!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
io-digital-04.jpg

The brains of the unit. They just used three ports on this one. The 4th could have been used too.

io-digital-03.jpg

The bottom has 3/4" inlets for the supply and at the top of the unit, four 1/2" outlets for the shower heads.

io-digital-02.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks