PVC transition to Cast Iron

Users who are viewing this thread

GoVolz

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my bathroom and extending the shower 6 feet further left if the picture and the toilet 3 feet left of it's current location. My idea is to cut just left of the cast iron vent in and between the toilets transition piece and connect with a similar size pvc pipe. And basically extend it in the same direction as the way the current cast iron is by extending it 5 feet or so. Leave a clean out at the end just as the cast iron has and tie in the new shower location and toilet location. Is this logical or is there a better way. Also I'm assuming I will have to tie in a new vent since the shower and toilet are further from the stack. Is thag correct? Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 337
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 267

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower vents within five feet, and the toilet within six feet.

mission_bandseal.jpg

A shielded coupling like these to prevent the pipe from shifting.
I would measure the OD of the cast. If it's Something like 4-1/8" or 3-1/8" you will need a copper size on one end.
Most new cast and plastic is the pipe size plus 3/8"

The shower drain should be 2"

GoVolz

Reaction score
Well the toilet should be fine as far as venting, when I move the toilet from it's current location in the picture it will be less then 6 feet from the stack. But the shower will be further then the toilet. Roughly 7-8 feet from the stack. So wouldn't I still need to tie a new vent for the shower into the stack.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well the toilet should be fine as far as venting, when I move the toilet from it's current location in the picture it will be less then 6 feet from the stack. But the shower will be further then the toilet. Roughly 7-8 feet from the stack. So wouldn't I still need to tie a new vent for the shower into the stack.

Yes, you may need to bring that vent back and tie in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks