How can I avoid a leak from hidden flexible Handheld showerhead hose in a tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Christos Adam

Reaction score
I have just installed a tub which has a Handheld showerhead with a retractable (hidden) flexible hose. The way it is designed, there is a hole in the tub where the flexible hose retracts in (see photos). During normal operation no problems should occur but since I'm planning to rent this place out I'm freaking out with the idea that someone might leave the Handheld shower head on it's base without completely shutting off the water supply and then the water will leak in the area under the tub (where the hose retracts to). Is there any way to avoid this? I was thinking of putting a small bucket in that area (under the tub) but still that's not a solution, and the bucket will be filled up soon if the future renters don't shut this completely off.

christos-01.jpg

christos-02.jpg

christos-03.jpg

christos-04.jpg

christos-05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You worry too much. Just put this in the rental agreement: "Tenant to place hand held showerhead in its place at all times, otherwise will be responsible for leak damages".

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
flexible Handheld showerhead hose in a tub - avoiding leaks caused by snared shut off

Should be some kind of containment on that hose. Like a laundry bag. To keep the hose from snagging any of those pipes or shut offs.

You could design a box with a run off that weeps out to the bathroom floor. That way if you had a leak it would come at you instead of under.

What did you board the tub surround with? Looks like Green EBoard and Hydro Ban. Did the outside corner where the vertical part of the tub meets the tub deck get mesh tape and thin-set prior to hydro ban? Looks like this step was skipped.

Last edited:

MikeQ

Reaction score
You could put a leak detector siren under there.

I would think most tenants would learn very quickly.

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
All those handhelds are like that. I like both the rental agreement idea AND the leak detection idea. With the leak detection, you can tie in a automatic shutoff valve, but be prepared to spend some coin. :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
LOL....

For Rum in Coke's Silly.....

Sometimes I think I'm the only one that gets my jokes. If I explain it - it's not funny....

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Okay,
Because D Hagin thinks I need to moderate better, I deleted his signature. It was offensive and uncalled for.
Terry Love

Affirmative cap'n T !

Just for the record. I have learned much and lurk on the JB site too. Choosing not to participate mostly due to corporate disdain and ego's ( plural)

Over here on Terry's site its a little more outside the box, punk rock, and other than Orange Jim, relatively welcoming to the "in the field real world approach"

And other than A few, its pretty ego less over here at Terry's place.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Like Bad Religion punk rock, or GBH punk rock?

Terry, do you ever remember a little place called the Offramp? I used to hang there, and go home to watch the planes leave from the Kenmore air harbor. LOL

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Lets talk more about Dana's Signature being removed. Jim must be so sad his John Bridge wing man got his hand spanked.

Does this mean Dana's signature is banned from Terry's site? LOL

If we are lucky maybe CX will start posting here on Terry's site. I'd like to ask him how a builder can still be a builder but not pull any home building permits.... That's a good question I think.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Its a tough way to go when your signature gets banned from a free forum!! JB should give him a proper sit down.

In my area John, Its the Homeowners or the General contractors responsibility to pull and or submit plans for permits. When my shower pans get inspected its not under my permit since I cant pull one yet I am the one the plumbing inspector talks to, here in the twin cities they understand the tile guy will be waterproofing and installing parts of the drain at times (not the 2" riser or ptrap but the drain body/flange ) That is If you know what your doing and get their approval in advance, as they could just as well flag you if they want .......... It is pretty simple to draw up some floor plans and send the homeowner down to city hall to pull their own permit leagally mind you.. with a list of the plumbing/electrical and tile contractors licenses that will be working on the project.

But the bigger reality is there is a hundred handy men hacks waiting to do it for half the price with no concern for any of this discussion.. ?

Last edited:

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
Terry. :)

Never said you need to moderate better, or worse, or anything. Let personal attacks stand, or don't. Moderate, or don't, as you see fit. It's your site after all, run it as you see fit. :)

Just so you know, there are folks i have placed on "Ignore" here. It's too bad really, because I believe a free exchange of ideas is one of the great things about a forum like this. Unfortunately, some folks can't support arguments or defend themselves respectfully with facts, so they resort to personal attacks. I've got no time for this, and won't respond or comment on any of it, seein' as i don't even see it. For folks at home who may think this is normal jobsite behavior, it ain't. On my jobsites, this behavior isn't tolerated either. If that kinda thing happened around me, an employee, a sub, or a client, the offender would be asked to leave and not come back. I'm in the trades and have been for goin on 4 decades, started when I was 16, and am still goin strong. We can take jokes, or good natured ribbing as well as anyone - no one in the trades would last if they couldn't - but, I'm not referring to this. I'm referring to the internet tough guys, who must live in a sequestered world where they neither give nor receive respect. This ain't my world, that's for sure.

You've got some great plumbing advice here, and hopefully that continues. I'll continue to help where I think I can. Anytime you want me to leave, all you need to do is ask. :)

Christos Adam

Reaction score
dj2, MikeQ and johnfrwhipple thank you so much for your suggestions!
Maybe I'm freaking out too much, but I think I probably need to do both. I was thinking of installing a small plastic garbage can in there which will definitely manage any small dripping but realistically if anyone lets the handheld dripping water for hours no solution would be good enough - exempt maybe the alarm - but that might be confusing for the tenants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks