What is this loop under my kitchen sink? RO Feed to Fridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

stupid48

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm going to be moving a couple of plumbing stubs to move my kitchen sink cabinet. Under the sink, there is a copper pipe than comes out of the wall and goes back in. I'm assuming it has something to do with the water supply behind the fridge but I'm only guessing. Come someone suggest what this is?

stupid_48.jpg

Thanks, Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very unusual for sure. Here's my guess FWIW. I suspect there is a stud behind the loop and perhaps the installer couldn't figure how to drill a hole for the pipe so he just went around the stud. Maybe 2 or 3 studs sistered together making drilling difficult. I don't see how it would have anything to do with the ice maker. That line should tap off a supply line in plain sight. But, who knows when a DIY has hacked his plumbing what you may run into. When you finally discover what it really is, report back.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is the water feed to the refrigerator. It was done that way so if you installed an RO drinking water system, it could be connected to the icemaker/water connection.

stupid48

Reaction score
It is the water feed to the refrigerator. It was done that way so if you installed an RO drinking water system, it could be connected to the icemaker/water connection.

Thanks. That's kind of what I figured....... I just thought it was strange because the house was built in 1998 so I was surprised that the builder would stub out for that...Seems like a more modern thing to me...

MikeQ

Reaction score

No, that's a plumber's grab handle, installed to make it easier for the plumber to position his body for those difficult under-sink repairs.

And with it's textured grip surface, one of the more deluxe ones I've seen.

stupid48

Reaction score
No, that's a plumber's grab handle, installed to make it easier for the plumber to position his body for those difficult under-sink repairs.

And with it's textured grip surface, one of the more deluxe ones I've seen.

hehe. thanks for the humor... :eek:

Tase15

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm going to be moving a couple of plumbing stubs to move my kitchen sink cabinet. Under the sink, there is a copper pipe than comes out of the wall and goes back in. I'm assuming it has something to do with the water supply behind the fridge but I'm only guessing. Come someone suggest what this is?

stupid_48.jpg

Thanks, Chris

I have this same connection under my sink. Which side do I cap and which side can I install my RO unit to?

Tase15

Reaction score
How would I know which side to cap and which side to install my RO unit to?

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm assuming it has something to do with the water supply behind the fridge but I'm only guessing. Come someone suggest what this is?
If it was known to be the supply to the fridge, I would guess that was a provision to let you install an under-sink filter inline. One problem with that is that if that filter is a reverse osmosis filter, you should run plastic pipe to the fridge rather than copper.

I am not a plumber. Just speculating.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Cut enough of a section out of the pipe to add what you want...have someone momentarily turn the water back on...it will become obvious which side is the supply!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks