Water from upstairs sink coming up in downstairs sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Desta

Reaction score
I registered an account to ask this questions, and hopefully someone on this forum can help me out. I live on the first floor of a 2 story apartment building. It seems that the water from upstairs is coming up in our kitchen sink. Our bathroom is fine, and nothing comes up when we flush the toilet or take a shower. I drew up a diagram of how I think it works, but this is just how I make sense of it in my head. I am no plumber by any means, or have any working knowledge of how plumbing systems work, so bear with me on the drawing. Please let me know what you guys think, or if you have any questions. Thank you. plumbing-1.jpg

Asktom

Reaction score
The drains shouldn't be run the way you show, but they do connect and the drain is clogged after that happens. The drain needs to be cleaned. There should be a clean-out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The drains shouldn't be run the way you show,

His drawing is simplistic, but it IS how a two story sink stack would be run, either with a revent or without depending on his code., or if he lives in Philadelphia.

Asktom

Reaction score
My point was how the problem needs to be solved.

You should see how my drains are run! - a rural Montana house built (in an area where the only required inspections were on wells and septics) by a non-plumber.

Michael Desta

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I live in Nashville, TN. Would taking out the P-trap and putting a snake inside be a good idea to clean the drain?

Michael Desta

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input. The problem seems to be fixed now, using the method above (it took every bit of a 50ft. snake). We don't have to wash dishes in the bathroom sink anymore!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks