Over The Range Microwave Light bulb.......

Users who are viewing this thread

appdude

Reaction score
So the halogen lightbulb (g8) went out in our over the range microwave and there has been no luck finding a replacement. We called up sears and they could not find the bulb. We also noticed another strange thing. We purchased this microwave just 1 year ago and the bulb went out very quick. Say, 1 month or so? And after that nothing. And it also botherd me how hot the glass cover got when the light was on. So is there a possibility I could make one out of an led strip or is there one available?

SHR

Reaction score
Any appliance parts distributor should stock the bulb. Sears is interested in selling appliances and ultra-expensive service calls - not parts. Halogen bulbs always get very hot so hot lens is normal. I do not know of any led conversions.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Walmart may carry the original.

They do make a LED replacement.

Just Google "g8 led bulb"

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

appdude

Reaction score
Wait, Something tells me its not G8. Because I'm doing my under cabinet lighting project. I had a 3528 LED strip. Now 3528 led strips are 8mm. So are G8. Now when i measured it with the strip, it did not look like 8mm at all! So now im even more confused...

DonL

Reaction score
You should use a calibrated measuring device and measure center to center.

That base can be 120V, 12V or 24V.

The 3528 is 12V per 3 leds.

The LED replacement would have to be used on the High setting only, Depends how they change the brightness, It may just be a resistor, then it may work on low.

What is the Voltage of your bulb ?

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
You can buy 10 each G8 20 watt, 120 v Halogens for about $10

Last edited by a moderator:

JerryR

Reaction score
Any appliance parts distributor should stock the bulb. Sears is interested in selling appliances and ultra-expensive service calls - not parts.

My experience has been that Sears is an excellent source for appliance parts for almost any manufacture. In addition to their online parts distribution listings they have many local facilities where they stock parts.

They also are a good source for online parts breakdown listings for most brands.

DonL

Reaction score

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Yes, please report back. This thread reminded me of that one incandescent lamp I have left to change out. The microwave down light! Here's a pic of the incandescent lamp(probably around 3000K) compared to cool white, 6000K under cabinet LED lighting.

appdude

Reaction score
Good news and bad news....

The bulb DOES fit
the bad news is that the bulb base is narrow and prevents the bulb from going in all the way...now what?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks