Water level drop

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Looks like the lifting key has been redesigned. My Kerdi Line drain came with what look lie a toilet bowl cleaner and a hook at one end.

Nice to see the key redesigned.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Yeah , it is pretty nice .

I also tried the ACO strainer with the S linear drain , a little loose , but it does the job .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
This Hair Strainer Roberto?

modern-showers.jpg

People are loving this guy. Easy to pop in and out.

Never tried it with the Schluter Drain before since I prefer of course the linear drains from ACO. But now that I know it works I can maybe unload a few of these strainers to the Schluter folks. I wonder why they don't have a strainer of their own?

Have you noticed a performance drop in flow rate? I recommend people be very careful with the strainers and the tile insert tops.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
This Hair Strainer Roberto?

modern-showers.jpg

People are loving this guy. Easy to pop in and out.

Never tried it with the Schluter Drain before since I prefer of course the linear drains from ACO. But now that I know it works I can maybe unload a few of these strainers to the Schluter folks. I wonder why they don't have a strainer of their own?

Have you noticed a performance drop in flow rate? I recommend people be very careful with the strainers and the tile insert tops.

Yeah , John , that's the strainer .

ACO strainer & S linear drain 003.jpg

ACO strainer & S linear drain 002.jpg

I didn't notice any performance drop in the flow rate -- being a little loose may help -- but I will keep track in the long run .

It will need monitoring if hair gets trapped into it . When flow starts to be problematic , checking should follow asap .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks Roberto.

What grate did you pick for that shower build?

Have you seen my work on increasing the flow rate of a tile top drain grate?

Could you send me these pictures you posted with a permission note to share on my blog site? I'll include a photo credit and back link to your web page.

I'll even send you a couple pencils. I guarantee you will get a Chubby when you open the box!

LOL ;)

1ea1bb1501112776_8714-w381-h381-b0-p0--modern-bath-and-spa-accessories.jpg

What size Chubby do you need? I have 7" and 9" versions..... lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Thanks Roberto.

What grate did you pick for that shower build?

Have you seen my work on increasing the flow rate of a tile top drain grate?

Could you send me these pictures you posted with a permission note to share on my blog site? I'll include a photo credit and back link to your web page.

I'll even send you a couple pencils. I guarantee you will get a Chubby when you open the box!

LOL ;)

What size Chubby do you need? I have 7" and 9" versions..... lol

I picked the tiled version , but I still have doubts of the final look with the linear mosaic tiles . The linear grate is prepped to receive the tiles -- did you notice how easy is to remove the Kerdi from the SS -- , but is not tiled yet . It accepts 3 full mosaic tiles -- wide -- perpendicular to the rest of the shower floor , but not seeing it work.

I will go with a custom designed grate -- SS and chrome -- with a logo on it -- design is ready - . I will post the pics once the grate is installed .

You can save the pics posted and use them on your blog site -- You have my permission -- . You can link my houzz account -- http://www.houzz.com/pro/eurocerob/eurocerob --

Don't worry about the Chubby pencils , but the 9'' will last longer . :) LOL

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks Roberto. I posted a new blog page here - http://no-curb.blogspot.ca/2014/04/ACO-hair-strainer-Kerdi-Line-Shower-Drain.html

Let me know if you would like any wording changed. I linked to your Houzz account. Great shots.

Are you having the logo water jet cut?

I tried to find a Kerdi Strainer and stumbled upon this discussion: http://www.thefloorpro.com/community/ceramic-and-stone-q-and-a/518-schluter-systems-news.html

Seams Schluter stopped including them because of apparent flooding problems. When you design your grate try and have a 1/2" hole right above the drain outlet. This will increase your flow rate and help prevent air locks Roberto....

Last edited:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
JW said:
I tried to find a Kerdi Strainer and stumbled upon this discussion: http://www.thefloorpro.com/community...tems-news.html

Seams Schluter stopped including them because of apparent flooding problems. When you design your grate try and have a 1/2" hole right above the drain outlet. This will increase your flow rate and help prevent air locks Roberto....

Thanks , John . I will have 1/16 of open gap all around the perimeter + the open spaces created by the logo design .

I think the strainer -- didn't see an original S one -- may create a flood problem when a curbless shower design is used , especially if no slope -- areas outside the shower -- provisions are taken into consideration . The problem doesn't really come from the strainer , but the residues collected by it -- more easy and cheap surface maintenance , rather then expensive and difficult pipe unclogging -- .

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The residue being your hair and bodily scum. This slows the flow into the drain and also lowers the amount of air the drain line gets. Both slow the flow rate and you can see a rise in water of nearly 1/4" I have measured.

Scary when incorporated into a barrier free build.

Air locks are more scary. Looks like that should not be a problem with your grate design.

Love the concept - I wanted to do something similar but cheap'd out.

Last edited:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
It is hard to spend more for something already purchased , but I like more the idea of the custom grate vs. the tiled one .

It will also look good in advertising , a '' cheap '' investment .

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Roberto, that looks like a slippery shower floor? But it looks Awesome!! Clearly a top notch install. Is that the new sparkly colored laticrete grout? Looks sparkly anyways! Can we see more please?!

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Roberto, that looks like a slippery shower floor? But it looks Awesome!! Clearly a top notch install. Is that the new sparkly colored laticrete grout? Looks sparkly anyways! Can we see more please?!

It looks slippery , but it is not , RSCB .Thanks . Not all of the linear pieces from the mosaic mix are glossy . And there is a pretty good percentage of joints .

The grout used for the shower floor , back of the bench and niche --only for the linear glass mosaic mix -- was the Spectralock Pro Grout with the Silver Dazzle .

Spectralock epoxy & dazzle Update 002.jpg

Shower bench & niche 009.jpg

Shower bench & niche Update 2 009.jpg

Shower bench & niche Update 2 018.jpg

Shower bench & niche Update 2 019.jpg

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Very nice work , the variable in the depth of the glass under the bench vs. above the bench and niche really adds dimension. You are hired!!! Thx for sharing

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Seams Schluter stopped including them because of apparent flooding problems.

The Schluter traditional drains used to come with a hair strainer, but people didn't realize they were there then called to complain if they got clogged up. They decided to stop including them...seems, with all of the documentation, people never read any of it, or the installer never left it with the homeowner (probably a combination of the two).

The Linear drains do come with a hair strainer, and, with the trench design of any linear drain, more susceptible to crud buildup, so maybe people will be more prone to actually clean the strainer, too.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Pictures of the Kerdi Line Drain Hair Strainer

The Kerdi Line drain I purchased did not come with any hair strainer Jim.

Why would Roberto email and ask me if the ACO strainer fit the Kerdi drain if he had one all ready?

....The Linear drains do come with a hair strainer, and, with the trench design of any linear drain, more susceptible to crud buildup, so maybe people will be more prone to actually clean the strainer, too.

Once again you are talking about stuff that seems a little miss leading. Are you sure the Kerdi drain comes with a hair strainer? Can we see a picture of this little piece?

What is it made from? Stainless Steel that was electropolished like the ACO model? Or some kind of cheap plastic maybe like I have seen the other company's use...

modern-showers.jpg

This is the ACO hair strainer. Electropolished Stainless Steel. Nice!

Just double checked online.

No pictures of a Kerdi Line Drain hair strainer. No data on it on the Kerdi Line web page.

I think the salesman is lying again. Like that time he said the Kerdi Board niches had a pre-slope bottom. Like the time he said ...... Like the time he said .....

Either that or the hair strainer is like I thought - some cheap looking plastic job. Still if you think Schluter had a hair strainer you think they would have it in a plastic bag. It would have a DVD install guide. A copy of the complete Schluter install specs to go with it....

I'll Keep looking - If there is such a thing as a Kerdi Line Drain Hair Strainer surely Jim will show a picture of it.

Jim all you do is find the link and
after it...

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The ones we used in class had a hair strainer...I do not know when that was added to the package, or if yours was missing one if yours was an early one. It is plastic. It is not listed in the description, but is in the currently produced packages.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
The ones we used in class had a hair strainer...I do not know when that was added to the package, or if yours was missing one if yours was an early one. It is plastic. It is not listed in the description, but is in the currently produced packages.

We used in class? whats that mean ? can you expand on that ?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
We used in class? whats that mean ? can you expand on that ?

One of the advantages of taking a workshop is that you get to actually touch and see the product, while we did each get a chance to install a pan and regular drain, we only got to touch and feel and see one of the instructors install a linear drain (probably a cost thing, and time). But, they opened up two or three boxes to show the center drain, the offset drain, and then one each of the various drain covers so we could look and hold and see how they were installed. The finished grates get installed differently than the tile-in grate cover, and we got to see how to adjust the finished grates and body so that the tile were at their proper level. With the tile-in cover, it's easier, since whatever thickness tile you use is the same on both the cover and the surround. If you've never taking one of their workshops and are in the business (tile setter, store owner, general contractor, architect, building maintenance, or others as approved by the area rep), you should. Seeing someone who knows how to use new products do it once and then get a chance to immediately try yourself is much better than winging it by yourself for the first time. Schluter runs about 40 of these across the country a year, but, it is a big country, so you may still have to travel a bit to get to one. The first step, though, is to talk to your area rep.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks