open sewage overflow pipe in old basement?

Users who are viewing this thread

OL

Reaction score
Hi all - I've really appreciated this forum as a newish homeowner, especially as different parts of my house were built at different times (1870s, 1910, and 1969). In the old (stone foundation, very unfinished, basically crawl space) part of our basement we have what seems to be an open pipe connected to the septic/toilet plumbing. It wasn't pointed out by the home inspector and had assumed it was blocked off/inactive/not a

However, we just discovered that it seems to be overflowing/leaking. Nothing too crazy, there is no smell I can detect, and the basement down there is already pretty dank - but there are little bits of toilet paper around the pipe. I guess it is still connected after all, and wonder what should be done with this? We replaced the septic tank/field a year and a half ago, and I'm having the septic tank pumped tomorrow. I will also call a plumber, but wanted to get some advice/opinions so I know what I'm dealing with. What is this pipe for? Should this be a closed system? Can this be capped off or would this just move the blockage upstairs (where we -really- don't want it)? We are tight on funds right now and really can't re-do all the plumbing/piping in the basement.

(I've posted a photo as well.)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Odette's phone 4-26 download 537.jpg
    Odette's phone 4-26 download 537.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 431

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
There will be no smell because the layout of the piping has created a trap. If it overflows, then there could be a partial blockage in the drain ahead which you will need to look into. If its not in use, then I would plug it where it enters the cast iron.

SHR

Reaction score
There will be no smell because the layout of the piping has created a trap. If it overflows, then there could be a partial blockage in the drain ahead which you will need to look into. If its not in use, then I would plug it where it enters the cast iron.

I agree with Sean Beck, for now cap the end of the pipe with a rubber Fernco cap of the correct size. Measure the outside diameter of the pipe and go to your plumbing supply store to get the right cap. After that is taken care of I would hire a plumber to clean out the drain pipes downstream from this old stub out.

OL

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you! I capped the pipe as you suggested and as you suspected there was an issue with the downstream flow (outside, between the house and the septic tank). Seemed like things got disconnected due to settling of the 1.5 yr old septic tank and also some winter heaving. That's been dealt with now, so hopefully that's the end of it. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks