Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://www.toiletconnector.com/

A settlement has been reached with Watts Water Technologies, Inc. and Watts Regulator Co. (“Wattsâ€) regarding Toilet Connectors with Coupling Nuts made with acetal plastic designed, manufactured, and/or distributed by Watts between 1999 and July 2009. Acetal is a type of plastic material. The settlement covers the purchase and possession of a Watts Toilet Connector as well as payments made to repair property damage suffered as a result of the failure of a Watts Toilet Connector.

Edwardh1

Reaction score
stupid question but I guess they have been failing? this is all I have seen.
what are the other non watts brands I could/should buy

Edwardh1

Reaction score
are there any brands with METAL ends? not plastic?
wonder what they used before 2009, when they started making the "bad" ones?
I always why companies spend the money to change thing to something worse.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have used very few toilet connectors with metal nuts, because they are too easy to cross thread when you make the connection. The settlement only covers supply lines that have failed and if you had one, you get 4 or 5 dollars, the lawyers get the millions of dollars.

Last edited:

Edwardh1

Reaction score
I have used very few toilet connectors with metal nuts, because they are too easy to cross thread when you make the connection. The settlement only covers supply lines that have failed and if you had one, you get 4 0 5 dollars, the lawyers get the millions of dollars.

you mean of course the connex between the hose and the fill valve asembly?
I wondered about that, as brass craft seems to make some hoses with metal nuts on them.

GeorgeCT

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Terry for the heads up on the water supply line made by Watts.
Luckily I have the newer model not part of the defective line.
I would have not of known of this situation if I didn't frequent this forum.

Edwardh1

Reaction score
so Terry, please tell us, for use with a plastic fill valve assembly which type fill connector do YOU and your fellows- in -the -business /pro plumbers use? Plastic ends or metal ends (coupling nuts)?

not much info out on the net about the failures- what the cause was (use of a wrench?) pure cracking of the ends from hand tightening? how many nation wide failures or what ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
so Terry, please tell us, for use with a plastic fill valve assembly which type fill connector do YOU and your fellows- in -the -business /pro plumbers use? Plastic ends or metal ends (coupling nuts)?

not much info out on the net about the failures- what the cause was (use of a wrench?) pure cracking of the ends from hand tightening? how many nation wide failures or what ?

That recall was from 2009 and earlier.
distributed by Watts between 1999 and July 2009

I haven't had issues in years. I did have a bad Fluidmaster years ago, the nut split at the fill valve. That may have been on the homeowner though. He was peeing on the floor, and saw water on the floor. He tightened the supply with pliers and cracked the nut. His eye sight was no longer very good, and he used that bathroom in the dark to save electricity.

They should be hand tight.

We have been using more brands lately. The plastic nuts all look better than in previous years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks