Oatey #30818 all purpose cement

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
I been using this on my cpvc water lines is Oatey #30818 all purpose cement safe for this?Also been using Oatey#30779 clear cleaner.

Last edited:

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
I been using this on my cpvc water lines is Oatey #30818 all purpose cement safe for this?Also been using Oatey#30779 clear cleaner.

The reason I`m asking this guys is I have read online that I should not use this for cpvc but to make sure and use the one for cpvc only with the purple primer .really don`t make sense to me you couldn`t use something that is for cpvc abs and pvc.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The specific cement for a particular type of pipe creates what is called a solvent welded connection. IOW, it literally melts the plastic, and when the solvents evaporate, the plastic from the fitting has become part of the pipe, making the connection. The issue is, they all use different solvents, so if you put all of them in one combined product, it isn't all that great on any one of them. Also, the cement usually contains some dissolved plastic for the material it is designed to bond. CPVC is similar to PVC, but the material is denser in CPVC, and generally takes a stronger solvent to melt it, and contains CPVC fillers, not PVC. ABS is another story altogether. I've heard, some places will not accept the conversion cements - in that case, you need some other type of fitting to convert the materials.

Some inspectors want to see the purple primer. They use that as an easy visual indication that you actually used the primer. The clear primers work just as well, but you can't tell if you used one during inspection without destroying the joint, making that kind of useless (unless you are not getting things inspected in the first place)!

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
I don't know if code allows it here or not I done already done some of it in this so I hope I don't have to rip it out because of code.

SHR

Reaction score
An inspection would not be my first worry here. I would never trust a joint on a pressure pipe connected with all purpose cement. Connecting CPVC is a poor use for this product. Clear cleaner is great to use for a first step in the solvent welding 3 step process but by using it instead of primer, you skip the very important 2nd step - the primer.

Since you did not use the correct cement for the joints I do not know if primer would have helped, but ALWAYS use primer. There are clear and purple primers available. My code calls for purple primer on plumbing joints. The clear works good if you want to make a car port frame etc.

If you are not having your work inspected, either rip out the incorrectly joined CPVC and re-do correctly or keep you fingers crossed and pray for no catastrophic failures. If you are having it inspected, rip it out and re-do correctly.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not to be a smart ass, but according to the pump forum, you're using water from a filthy spring with frogs, crayfish and salamanders living in it and now you're worried about which cement to use so your work will meet "code"?

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
Not to be a smart ass, but according to the pump forum, you're using water from a filthy spring with frogs, crayfish and salamanders living in it and now you're worried about which cement to use so your work will meet "code"?

Well first I don`t plan on leaving the hole the water collects in open for the frogs I plan on filling it with gravel putting plastic over that and then dirt on top .Second the salamander and the crawfish where white which I'm sure indicates they are underground critters that live in caves and Kentucky having a lot of caves I'm sure these guy will be present even in a lot of wells or at least coming from a place that has them . And yeah there was 1 count of e coli in the spring but how many counts are in the tap water before it's treated from this lake? How many raccoon turds possum turds and human feces are going into that water and then being treated before going to peoples taps? I will bet money that spring is a lot cleaner then anything the folks here are going get out of their taps when treated proper . As for why would I be worried well for one it won`t pass inspection and 2 if it did why would I want a line to burst and then leak and do damage??

Johnny Turner

Reaction score

But hell craig if you think I should not use this water then tell me man why. I have 2 kids and while not the brightest person on earth I can't understand how water from a lake with farm runoff dead animal run off pollution from boats and everything else is any better when treated?But yeah if you think I shouldn't use this water then let me know if for some reason you think it can't be treated then tell me that's why I come here if for peoples advice.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Not sure what pressure you are using it at ?

To get the Max rating of the pipe and connector, then the correct glue is needed.

I think all is fine, but if you want to know for sure, try to take one apart.

If you can take it apart and reuse it, then the glue did no devolve the plastic, and you need a better glue.

Good Luck.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can use it. Have it tested fairly often and there are any number of filtration and purification filters on the market. If you find crayfish, please put them on ice and send them too me

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
You can use it. Have it tested fairly often and there are any number of filtration and purification filters on the market. If you find crayfish, please put them on ice and send them too me

I was planning on getting some home test kits and having it test every 3 months by health department as well.And those crawfish won't make it to ice just to my cooking pot hell i'll toss some frog legs in the frying pan as well lol.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't care what color the animal life in the spring are, they still crap and then they die in the water you want your family to drink.

I was on a service call to a day care a few years ago because the water was "funny"', turned out there were snakes in the cistern and the owner didnt want to do anything other than install a UV light. Screw that, I turned them in to the state and they were promptly shut down.

Now, if you can sleep at night knowing that the water your family is brushing their teeth with comes from that spring, and you feel that you have the resources and knowledge to keep them safe, go for it. But for the life of me, I can't understand why you would spend good money and time on a dirty spring.......

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
I don't care what color the animal life in the spring are, they still crap and then they die in the water you want your family to drink.

I was on a service call to a day care a few years ago because the water was "funny"', turned out there were snakes in the cistern and the owner didnt want to do anything other than install a UV light. Screw that, I turned them in to the state and they were promptly shut down.

Now, if you can sleep at night knowing that the water your family is brushing their teeth with comes from that spring, and you feel that you have the resources and knowledge to keep them safe, go for it. But for the life of me, I can't understand why you would spend good money and time on a dirty spring.......

Hell idk what to do you act as if there is a constant flow of crap in the spring and I know better then that .I will stop the surface water at the hole shock it with bleach and have it tested raw from there and also after I treat it with a uv light and 1 micron filter plus I plan on adding a 55 gal barrel filled with sand gravel and charcoal before the tank and then go from there .Even the lady at the health department told me to treat it with a UV light and retest it I have even read this same thing on EPA site .Also the statements you make about the white underground crawfish and salamanders confuse me as well because I know wells are feed from under water aquifers and these critters are going to be present there as well underground.I plan I testing testing and then retesting this water I'm no fool but I do beleave this to be a treatable source of water .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks