50 amp main breaker panel? No such animal

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm tasked with installing a sub panel in an out building. The customer does not need more than 50 amps out there, the largest tool he will be using is a 30 amp 240v welder.

Here's the tricky part. I need a master breaker in the panel, of course. It is my understanding, and I could be wrong about this, that new code requires the master breaker be bolted down to the chassis of the panel in some manufacturer's UL approved arrangement.

In other words, no back feeding of a 50 amp breaker just stuck onto the buss bars.

It was not all that long ago that Murray had a 100 amp main breaker panel arrangement such that the main breaker was a conventional breaker plugged into a pair of blades that were bolted to the buss bars, and there was a simple clamp on the tail of the breaker that locked it down. That was the bomb. Just back out the screw, remove the 100 amp and replace with 50 amp, replace the clamp and screw.

No longer.

1) Am I correct, it is no longer permitted to just back feed a breaker?

2) Does anyone know of a manufacturer that has what I need?

Reaction score

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The CB protects what's after it, and a 100A panel could (if it got it) support 100A, but obviously can't if the main panel's breaker is 50A. Sort of like a 20A circuit feeding a small electronics box with an internal 0.1A fuse...works fine, nothing burns up, at least it's not likely, and certainly not from overcurrent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks