Clog-free, low-flo toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

robrowe

Reaction score
Is there an experienced opinion of toilets from Dolphin Plumbing Industrial (China)?
...particularly this model:
Washington EL ADA Z22E16 bowl, S18246-N tank (lined).

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Dunno about them. If you're in BC, you might need an insulated tank, so I won't try to talk you out of it.

I can tell you that we regularly recommend the Toto Drake toilet on here. Very high quality. Great flush. Low water consumption (1.6 gallons per flush.) Toto does not make an insulated tank in a 1.28gpf model.

If you were looking for a Toto Drake with the specs I think you have in your example, you would want an ADA bowl and a lined tank. The Toto model number for that would be, with an elongated, ADA bowl and insulated tank: CST744SLD. CST is a tank-and-bowl combination. 744 is the elongated Drake. S is the 1.6gpf flush. L is the ADA height. And D is the insulated tank.

(For what it's worth, the tank in this combination is ST743SD and the bowl is C744SL (if still available) or C744EL (more likely).)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never heard of this brand, but it's Chinese, so I wouldn't bet on it. There are dozens of low-flow toilets on the market. Some are junk, some are so-so, and a few are pretty good. There is no such think as a "clog free" toilet. Anyone that tries that line is a liar pure and simple. The brand that comes closest to clog free is the Toto brand. Most of us Toto users have never experienced a clog, but it can occur. Usually the cause is not the toilet, but what is put into the toilet and flushed. Toto is the largest manufacturer of toilets in the world, and has a very large factory near Atlanta.

robrowe

Reaction score
wjcandee: Thanx for the reply. Drop the middle "j" and you'd have the perfect initials for this discussion. ;D
Yes, well aware of the touted Toto! Anyway, we wouldn't need insulated tank here. Does that prompt anymore tips? And, thanx again. --Rob

robrowe

Reaction score
Gary: I should have posted "ALMOST Clog-free". I can't find anyone else that's heard of Dolphin, either, but found website: dolphinplumbing.net (Chinese Co. with agent in Montreal, Quebec)
Wish I could find some reviews/criticisms. Thanx to you too, Gary, for your advice. --Rob :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Keep in mind, a toilet is an appliance that should last for years. Buy a cheap unknown brand, and you are in a crap shoot. Maybe you'd end up being the smartest guy in BC, but if not, what then? Toss the junk and try again or live with the beast? My money would be on a proven product even if it cost a bit more.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The shape of the waterway is what makes a toilet "clog resistant" or not and without a side view of that toilet, I cannot answer your question. But, as a matter of course, I would suspect it will have the same somewhat convoluted water way as many other toilets, meaning it is not very reliable. The toilet I recommend, not a Toto, has a simple inverted "U" waterway which is almost impossible to obstruct.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you don't need the insulated tank and you have a 12" rough=in, you have a lot of options!

Thanks for the point about my name! Funny! :)

Toto Drake CST744EL -- ADA Height 1.28gpf Original Drake

Toto Drake II CST454CEFG -- Universal (ADA) Height, 1.28gpf, CEFIONTECT, Double-Cyclone Flush, modern appearance. A little more price than the original Drake, but a great toilet.

Really any Toto higher up the food chain than these would also work quite well, but these are the two best values, in my opinion.

I looked at the trapway on the dolphin and I can't say that I think it's going to be great.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For something truely clog free, Caroma from Australia, and Kohler K-3493 Highline with Flushmate.

highline-pa-ken.jpg

Last edited:

Wallijonn

Reaction score
The reason I asked was to see if it was an Eljer. At work we had two and they were wonderful 1.6gpf flushers. Someone decided to destroy one in a fit of work rage. The maintenance man replaced it with an AS. I was the first to complain that it didn't hold a candle to the old Eljer, but not the last. He eventually replaced it with an AS and it seems to be working correctly (not as great, just "okay"). What I liked about "that Eljer" was the sweeping waterway, what looked like an inverted "U". After reading all the horror stories here, and knowing that AS bought them out, I think I'll buy the Toto Drake, instead.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The toilets that tend to clog are those that take a sharp turn at their outlet. On toilets without a skirt, that is easy for someone to check before they buy. The other thing that affects a toilet's ability to flush is how big the trapway is its diameter. MOst are in the order of 2", some slightly larger, but if you have a big hard one to flush, the Caroma brand, with their 3" diameter trapway can't be beat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks