Universal handle adapter stuck on new Moen 1225 cartridge stem

Users who are viewing this thread

dibiff

Reaction score

Hi,

First time to post a question. Have used your wonderful experience and knowledge often. For that, thank you.

I had to replace a Moen 1225 cartridge in a 1980's faucet. I changed the cartridge with no problem. I decided to use a universal tub/shower trim kit since my faucet face plate didn't have a rubber gasket any longer and I was not able to find another. I tried to caulk but didn't last. Anyway...

I switched the lucite handle to the chrome handle which required using an adapter to attach to the cartridge stem. All went well...

Until I turned on the water and realized I did exactly what many warned against and had the hot on the wrong side. I also realized the handle wouldn't stay in position when turned to either hot or cold. It slowly lowered until about 7 o'clock or 5 o'clock resulting in tepid water temp.

No problem (thought) I will remove all plates and rotate cartridge 180 degrees to correct temp issue and see if I needed to wipe some excess silicone (?) from the cartridge body. If that didn't work I was going to keep researching til I found a solution.

Unfortunately I can't get the stinking handle adapter off. The screw is out but it will not budge. I don't want to mess up my pipes by pulling too hard. I am at a complete loss at this point.

I'm a single mom and can't really afford to call a plumber to fix this so if someone out there can help I would so greatly appreciate your time and knowledge.

Thank you again for all of the past help. Diane (I have included a couple of photos of faucet and adapter)
universal handle full on hot.jpghandle adapter 2.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should be able to pull off the handle adapter and then spin the cartride in place 180 degrees.
The new cartridge will wear in soon enough. Leave it in place. This is typical of a new cartridge replacement for the first few days. Don't worry about it.

moen-2600-1.jpg

moen-1200-1225.jpg

moen-tl473-2.jpg

moen-tl473-1.jpg

Last edited:

dibiff

Reaction score
Two questions, first how much force can be applied to remove the metal adapter I just put on the new cartridge. I may need to ask a neighbor who is stronger to pull it off. I just don't want to break anything behind the wall. (that is usually my luck with my efforts)

And second, if I can't get the adapter off and leave the chrome handle on, the handle will eventually stay up to hot and cold position? If the water is tepid I don't think I can talk my son into using it to break the cartridge in. Or does it naturally absorb or something? I really wanted to get the hot cold situation fixed but I guess I can live with it if the handle will stay in place.

Thank you for your fast reply. I am home with the snow and really wanted to get this fixed. Could I use the handle removal tool I have seen referenced on the adapter?

Diane

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure what "referenced handle removal tool" you are talking about, but many handle pullers will work if you partially reinsert the screw so they have something to push against. You could probably also remove it by tapping outward on it with a pair of pliers, or some other heavy object. You to NOT have to "remove plates", etc., just remove the handle adapter spin the STEM 180 degrees, and the put the handle adapter back on. If you remove everything and rotate the entire cartridge, you will be right back where you are now.

dibiff

Reaction score
Thank You for your help

I am not sure what "referenced handle removal tool" you are talking about, but many handle pullers will work if you partially reinsert the screw so they have something to push against. You could probably also remove it by tapping outward on it with a pair of pliers, or some other heavy object. You to NOT have to "remove plates", etc., just remove the handle adapter spin the STEM 180 degrees, and the put the handle adapter back on. If you remove everything and rotate the entire cartridge, you will be right back where you are now.

Thank you for your help. I will pick up the handle puller tonight on the way home. I hope the handle eventually will stay up to the hot position without sliding back down to a tepid temp. Take care and again to all that help us, Thank You. Diane

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thank you for your help. I will pick up the handle puller tonight on the way home. I hope the handle eventually will stay up to the hot position without sliding back down to a tepid temp. Take care and again to all that help us, Thank You. Diane

Just give it a few days and the handle stiffens up.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I had to repair a Moen valve today. When it was installed it was too far back in the wall, then they used a very "thick" handle, so because of the extension and the handle most brass or stainless bolts were too short so they used a steel bolt. Usually no problem, unless the stem started leaking, which this one did so the bolt rusted into the stem. I had to drill the bolt out of the handle, without ruing the handle, then break off the rest of it, which did not give me an opening in the stem to screw the extractor into. A 5 five minute job turned into a two hour one, but in this case it was fortunate because by the time I was finished the drywallers had completed repair work in the powder room so I was able to install the angle stops without a second trip.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks