Crouse Hinds Electircal Panel Screws

Users who are viewing this thread

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
I own a a Crouse Hinds Type 1 Electrical panel. The previous owner removed the panel screws and replaced them with sheet metal screws. I want to sell my house and the buyer's inspector flagged it as a safety issue.

The Square D replacement screws do not fit
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...-per-Pack-S106/100123734?keyword=047569440731

Does anyone know where I can get replacement screws or what the threading is?

Stuff

Reaction score
Newer panel screws have a finer thread than original but should still work. Seimens bought the Crouse-Hinds line and re-named it back to Murray.

Last edited by a moderator:

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I own a a Crouse Hinds Type 1 Electrical panel. The previous owner removed the panel screws and replaced them with sheet metal screws. I want to sell my house and the buyer's inspector flagged it as a safety issue.

The Square D replacement screws do not fit
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...-per-Pack-S106/100123734?keyword=047569440731

Does anyone know where I can get replacement screws or what the threading is?
Go find the home inspector and punch him square in the face. If substitute panel screws were a safety issue more than half of my town would be burned downed right now, including City Hall.

Go talk to your buyer and ask him if he is serious about buying your house or not because you need to sell your house but don't need a bunch of useless hassle.

Last edited:

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
Go find the home inspector and punch him square in the face. If substitute panel screws were a safety issue more than half of my town would be burned downed right now, including City Hall.

Go talk to your buyer and ask him if he is serious about buying your house or not because you need to sell your house but don't need a bunch of useless hassle.

What the inspector wrote in his report was:

The main distribution panel needs to have proper blunt end panel cover screws (4), not pointed. One of the wire's insulation was nearly penetrated, which would have caused the panel to become electrified.

I removed the panel cover and he was quite right. He also caught a bunch of other safety issues that are more difficult but, fortunately, less annoying to repair.

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
Newer panel screws have a finer thread than original but should still work. Seimens bought the Crouse-Hinds line and re-named it back to Murray.

The Square D replacement screws do not fit in that they have, I think, a larger diameter than the original screws.

I saw a similar question posted on another forum and someone suggested retapping the panel's screw holder. Obviously, I'd rather not do that unless I have to.

Stuff

Reaction score
Quick fix then is to grind off the sharp point of the screws that do fit. A bit of a hack and not "listed" for the panel but inspector might sign off on it.

Instead of tapped holes for the screws on the lip does it use two small strap punch-outs on the sides? I have a Crouse-Hinds panel in my house and the Murray/Siemens screws do fit but are a bit tight.

Good article and shows this odd type of screw hole: http://inspectapedia.com/electric/Electric_Panel_Cover_Screws.htm

Last edited:

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
What the inspector wrote in his report was:
The main distribution panel needs to have proper blunt end panel cover screws (4), not pointed. One of the wire's insulation was nearly penetrated, which would have caused the panel to become electrified.

I removed the panel cover and he was quite right. He also caught a bunch of other safety issues that are more difficult but, fortunately, less annoying to repair.
You did not say that the first time.

Blunt the the screws off and move the wire so the insulation is no longer in danger.

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
Well, thanks to the people here who told me that Siemans purchased Murray which purchased Crouse.

The screws are [h=1]Siemens ECTS2 Cover Screws for Siemens or Murray Load Centers[/h]
Thank you all.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If there are more useless people on this earth than "home inspectors" I do not know who they would be. Their sole purpose in life seems to be to find irrelevant items to fill up their report pages. I have seen many cases where they listed every screw that was missing from a switch or duplex plate, but missed major safety issues.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
If there are more useless people on this earth than "home inspectors" I do not know who they would be. Their sole purpose in life seems to be to find irrelevant items to fill up their report pages. I have seen many cases where they listed every screw that was missing from a switch or duplex plate, but missed major safety issues.
Kinda why my first post came off sounding the way it did.

Reach4

Reaction score
I found post #6 to be useful and informative.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks