Move toilet in Master Bath

Users who are viewing this thread

TRoeschen

Reaction score
I want to move a toilet in my master bath. I plan on reconfiguring an existing 4" drain which has a 2" shower drain and a utility sink drain currently attached to it. The toilet will be about 3-4 feet to the stack. I'll need to remove the 2" PVC drain from the 4" cast iron drain and replace it with a 3" PVC pipe which will I reduce to 2" near the top to connect to the vent. I'll make a new connection for the 2" shower drain and a new connection for the 3" toilet drain. Do I need to vent the toilet? I have an extra vent pipe from the old shower location. Should the shower drain be above or below the toilet connection or doesn't it matter? Is it ok to have the laundry sink drain below the toilet drain? I've attached a picture of the current setup.

Thanks

Attachments

• Drain Picture1.jpg
    Drain Picture1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 267

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure what you are doing with those TWO white/yellow pipes, but one, or the other, is both extraneous and illegal. The way you have it drawn, that would be the left hand one. As drawn, the shower MUST be above the toilet connection, but since the sink has its own vent, it can connect anywhere.

Last edited:

TRoeschen

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. The yellow/white lines are the new pipes. The line coming from the right upper corner of the picture would be the new toilet drain. The line that is drawn around the 2" riser from the cast iron drain indicates the section of the 2" pipe that will be removed and replaced with a 3" PVC pipe. There is only one pipe in this area.

TRoeschen

Reaction score
I've added a current picture and proposed configuration. I hope this makes things clear.
Thanks again.
TomDrain after.jpgDrain before.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The connection of a vent stack with another vent may not be less than 38" above the next higher floor level where the plumbing fixtures are vented, but in no case lower than 2" above the elevation of the highest flood level rim of any fixture served by the vent.

TRoeschen

Reaction score
The shower vent (2"), laundry sink vent (1.5"), and the unused vent (1.5") go up through the wall and connect together at 40" above the 1st floor to a 2" pipe that goes up into the attic. If I add the toilet drain do I have to vent it separately or can it use the same vent as the shower?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Is the lavatory not connected to the pipe which is also serving to vent the shower? A sharp inspector would not allow a dry vent to run horizontally below the flood rim of the highest fixture on the stack.

The toilet and shower could be tied into the stack using a sanitary tee with a side inlet for the shower. The fixture drains need to enter the stack at the same level if you plan to avoid a re-vent.

Last edited:

TRoeschen

Reaction score
The lavatory [i assume you mean sink] is on the other side of the bathroom. It has its own vent and it drains into a separate 3" stack vent where the old toilet was.

So my options are [I think]
1. Get a sanitary tee with a side inlet and connect the 2" shower drain and the 3" toilet drain to it. Reduce the top of the 3" stack to 2" and connect it to the 2" vent.

2. Connect the 2" shower drain to the 3" stack above the toilet connection to the 3" stack. Vent the shower drain to the unused 1.5" vent pipe and vent the 3" stack out the top to the 2" vent pipe.

Are both these options correct?

Thanks for your help

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Yes, but again, any section of vent must be vertical at least until it rises above the flood rim of the highest connected fixture.

TRoeschen

Reaction score
Thanks for being patient, I'm still learning. In my current setup the vent pipes look like are slightly pitched before they hit straight vertical. Is it ok to do this when I connect the vent pipes to the vertical vent pipes?

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Your current shower vent does not comply with good plumbing practices or the plumbing code. There cannot be a horizontal section of dry vent below the flood rim of any of the fixtures which it serves. Horizontal would mean any angle less than 45 degrees.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How would you make this work?

The trap arm for the shower comes off the vertical. If you have a lav on that vertical, run it as 2" and it's considered a wet vent.

Below the trap arm, then you can throw on a 90 and aim it toward the waste stack.
Below the trap, it's getting washed.

TRoeschen

Reaction score
There is no lav in this setup, its on the other side of the bathroom. So if I use a 3" san-tee with side outlet I can connect the shower to the side outlet, the toilet to the 3" opening and a 2" vent to the top opening. The toilet will be 46" from the stack and the shower drain is 19". Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks