10 inch rough in by mistake

Users who are viewing this thread

Silvia

Reaction score
I just did a lot of research on toilets and chose a 12 inch rough in model for a new house. My builder then informed us that 2 of the 4 new toilets are going to have to be 10" which eliminates my first choice. The house specs call for 12". Should we ask him to change the floor joists to comply with the plans? Should we ask him to pay the difference between the Drake II that I wanted and the Vespin, which has the same tank that Drew me to the Drake II? Will it be difficult to find 10" replacement toilets in the future? (I renovated a bath once with a 14" rough and it was a huge hassle to find the right toilet). Last question, can a Drake II tank go on an Eco drake bowl or other 10" bowl?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I just did a lot of research on toilets and chose a 12 inch rough in model for a new house. My builder then informed us that 2 of the 4 new toilets are going to have to be 10" which eliminates my first choice. The house specs call for 12". Should we ask him to change the floor joists to comply with the plans? Should we ask him to pay the difference between the Drake II that I wanted and the Vespin, which has the same tank that Drew me to the Drake II? Will it be difficult to find 10" replacement toilets in the future? (I renovated a bath once with a 14" rough and it was a huge hassle to find the right toilet). Last question, can a Drake II tank go on an Eco drake bowl or other 10" bowl?

I don't see anything wrong with asking that your house be built to spec. However, you have a good idea about subbing, say, a Vespin II. I can't predict the future, but certainly a non-standard rough-in reduces ones options, just as it does today.

Your Drake II tank fits the Vespin II and the Drake II. Says so right on its box. It's not designed to go on any other bowls, and I wouldn't try to mess with it on any other bowl.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's too late to ask the framer to move the floor joists. This stuff happens in construction though.
I don't see it as a big issue though. It seems that 5% of homes have a non-standard rough and for various reasons. They will always make toilets for those exceptions. And you can expect whatever you install to last for years.

Reach4

Reaction score
Should we ask him to pay the difference between the Drake II that I wanted and the Vespin, which has the same tank that Drew me to the Drake II?
That seems fair to me. I am not a pro. Toilets last a long time if they are not replaced for style reasons.

Of course in 10 years, people may be saying white toilets, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops? How dated!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best answer I can offer is to use a Toto model that uses their Unifit adapter. Excellent toilets and will look just like they are on a 12" rough in. I doubt there is anything reasonable that your builder can do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks