Possible frozen line between main and meter

Users who are viewing this thread

shadowjfaith

Reaction score
The only problem that I see is how will you know ? You may have frozen pipes on your uninsulated areas also.

I don't really think I do. My lines were emptied of water when the meter was taken apart. I know that it is possible that was just to the frozen section, but I don't think it's likely as shortly before on my end the blow torch was used. So if it is the case the water refroze at that point.

I can always take the meter off and check myself if further diagnostics are required, also I should feel some resistance in the AV valve correct? Currently the valve turns quite freely, but it does function as that was checked first.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would guess if it is a Gate Valve it may be hard to tell.

Is water running yet ?

shadowjfaith

Reaction score
Unfortunately my wife wasn't comfortable being the catastrophe fall back so I let her unplug it, and I was busy for the rest of the day. I put things back together today and it's been a few hours, so far nothing.

shadowjfaith

Reaction score
Update 3 - The heat gun has been in the pit for just over 10 hours now on max air flow (I'm actually surprised it is still running as I thought it would have had an overheat shut off) and it's stilling doing the job. So far no sign of water, but things are still going okay. I have a tarp over the lid with some insulation folded in between to keep the heat in. A few hours ago I checked to make sure things were working in terms of heat as I can hear the heat gun running, but I wanted to make sure it was heating the pit up. As soon as I lifted the tarp steam just started pouring out and the meter pit lid was very hot to the touch (could barely touch it with my finger for more than a second). I have no idea what kind of condition my heat gun is in, (the outer shell is plastic in which that kind of heat I would suspect to melt, but hell I'll let it go as long as it can as the first run will be the best) but I'll let it run as long as it can.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Update 3 - The heat gun has been in the pit for just over 10 hours now on max air flow (I'm actually surprised it is still running as I thought it would have had an overheat shut off) and it's stilling doing the job. So far no sign of water, but things are still going okay. I have a tarp over the lid with some insulation folded in between to keep the heat in. A few hours ago I checked to make sure things were working in terms of heat as I can hear the heat gun running, but I wanted to make sure it was heating the pit up. As soon as I lifted the tarp steam just started pouring out and the meter pit lid was very hot to the touch (could barely touch it with my finger for more than a second). I have no idea what kind of condition my heat gun is in, (the outer shell is plastic in which that kind of heat I would suspect to melt, but hell I'll let it go as long as it can as the first run will be the best) but I'll let it run as long as it can.

Another four to six weeks and it may thaw out.

shadowjfaith

Reaction score
Update 4 - The heat gun ran well over 12 hours (I went to sleep so I'm not sure exactly how long) and it didn't work, but it got the pit plenty hot.

1601031_10202438446996774_1006113118_n.jpg

I would think that would be hot enough to thaw out in at least 3 feet each way from the pit if not more. Snow and ice was melted down to the gravel for what was covered by the tarp.

DonL

Reaction score
Is it still in warranty ?

I guess the internal fuse blew ?

They are not rated for continuous use.

Did your wife say "I told you so" lol

Last edited:

shadowjfaith

Reaction score
I was $20 or so that I've had for a few years so I was more than happy to sacrifice it for water, but I'm not really sure what caused it to actually die, but I suspect that the motor burnt out or the wires melted.

DonL

Reaction score
For some reason, I think you could be barking up the wrong tree.

Nice try.

Good Luck.

DonL

Reaction score
Are there any other possibilities on what could be wrong?

What is your outdoor temp ?

My guess is that it may be the uninsulated pipes that you have, and know about, Unless you have fixed that problem.

Or your shut off is left hand threaded.

The city came out, and changed your meter, when they know that water was not getting to
it ?

Last edited:

shadowjfaith

Reaction score
What is your outdoor temp ?

My guess is that it may be the uninsulated pipes that you have, and know about, Unless you have fixed that problem.

Or your shut off is left hand threaded.

The city came out, and changed your meter, when they know that water was not getting to
it ?

Current temp is 20, there is still no water going to the meter. I can't turn the AV valve with channel locks, but it does have an arrow on the cap that is pointing to the meter.

It was really the only thing they would do so I figured at least it would be a new meter since mine was fairly old.

If I have an issue with uninsulated pipes (which is only right where it comes into the house) I'll deal with that once I get water to there.

DonL

Reaction score
Current temp is 20, there is still no water going to the meter. I can't turn the AV valve with channel locks, but it does have an arrow on the cap that is pointing to the meter.

It was really the only thing they would do so I figured at least it would be a new meter since mine was fairly old.

If I have an issue with uninsulated pipes (which is only right where it comes into the house) I'll deal with that once I get water to there.

So how will you know when it gets to your frozen pipes ?

Just because you THINK the pipes are drained, they may not be.

Water expands.

You are wasting your time.

shadowjfaith

Reaction score
So how will you know when it gets to your frozen pipes ?

If I have water going to the meter I will know. It's a brand new meter so the dials are completely fresh. The dials will move once I get water there as it will have at least a little bit of line it can go to.

DonL

Reaction score
If I have water going to the meter I will know. It's a brand new meter so the dials are completely fresh. The dials will move once I get water there as it will have at least a little bit of line it can go to.

LOL.

That is funny.

Unless the air can get out of the line, the pipe will not fill with water.

Good Luck.

shadowjfaith

Reaction score
Attempt #2

1901244_10202453737139018_433299468_n.jpg

I called the water company Monday. All I wanted was for them to see if I had water going to the meter (that way I would know if what I did worked or not for sure) and they completely refused.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the pipe is frozen, it will be between the meter and house and that heat gun will not have any effect whatever. In fact, you are very likely to melt the pipe. Since the pipe appears to be some type of plastic (I'm not going over 6 pages of responses to get all the nitty gritty) you will just have to wait for the thaw. Metal pipe, such as copper, could be heated by a plumber with proper electrical equipment.

shadowjfaith

Reaction score
If the pipe is frozen, it will be between the meter and house and that heat gun will not have any effect whatever. In fact, you are very likely to melt the pipe. Since the pipe appears to be some type of plastic (I'm not going over 6 pages of responses to get all the nitty gritty) you will just have to wait for the thaw. Metal pipe, such as copper, could be heated by a plumber with proper electrical equipment.

If you want you can go back through the responses for more detail, but the short and short is that it was frozen before the meter as I had no water to the meter. I had a heat gun in the meter pit for well over 12 hours (whether it thawed or not I'm not sure as the water company refuses to come out again). Now that was last Saturday so it could have very well frozen again, if it did thaw then that would mean somewhere between the meter and the house is frozen. I'm trying my best here as it took a week for the water company to tell me what was wrong in the first place. It has now been 2 weeks without water so whatever issues I started with have just compounded on each other. If I can avoid the $100 an hour plumber I'm going to try whatever I can.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks