Softener drain in crawl space - options?

Users who are viewing this thread

rudhawk

In the Trades
Reaction score
I really appreciate this site and all the helpful advice – I’ve been researching softener drain options for a couple days but coming up “dryâ€.

This is the drain setup for my Fleck 5600SXT / 32K which I would like to redo; in the event of a backup, sewage would overflow the air gap into my crawl space.
IMG_2445.jpg

I don’t have a utility sink & the washer drain is 50 ft away; Fleck limits a ½“ drain line to 20 ft (I don’t know the limits for a ¾†pvc line).

On the first floor is a bathroom sink & a kitchen sink which I could get this line to through the floor. But I don’t have a clue how this connection would be made and still use an air gap. How is this done (without opening up the walls); pics or links appreciated.

Or should I leave the existing (if so, I’m going to reroute it to get rid of the reverse angle entering the main drain).

thanks everyone
Pat

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Run the drain in 3/4" PVC and you can go 50' easily. The 1 cu. ft. system only runs at 2.4 GPM, so 1/2" pipe would probably be just fine, but since you re-running it anyway, 3/4" pipe is cheap and just as easy to do.

rudhawk

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, Ditto - I thought it might be fine and I have only 1 foot elevation rise (I would need to go through a couple walls but...).

I came across this twin inlet "airgap" made by Eco-tech. Does anyone have experience with them? Is this really an airgap or an air vent. Also, I'm wondering if it would handle 2.4 gpm. This would be much more convenient than extending to the washer.
Twin Inlet Air Gap DLA-TAG Dual Inlet AirGap.jpg

ditttohead

Reaction score
Ya got another whoops in there too, you didn't answer his question of how to use an air gap up at the sink, while having him get rid of his present hook up that looks like a code compliant air gap drain.

And that helps him how? Or are you just trolling?

ditttohead

Reaction score
Let me make sure I read that right. You are suggesting the home owner plumb the softener drain directly into sewage? Wow, that's great advice. (sarcasm)

Anybody reading this thread, please do not take the advice of someone who actively promotes disregarding code when it come to our potable municipal water supplies.

ditttohead

Reaction score
As to how to install the airgap, read post three, I think it is self explanatory.

As to the comment on the municipal supply, you can cross contaminate your own personal supply, for all I care you can drink from your septic tank, those on shared supplies are where I am personally concerned. Although, I would not recommend anyone other than you cross contaminating potable and sewage.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think you're losing it man. Minus the picture of the new air gap, post 3 says.... "Thanks, Ditto - I thought it might be fine and I have only 1 foot elevation rise (I would need to go through a couple walls but...).

I came across this twin inlet "airgap" made by Eco-tech. Does anyone have experience with them? Is this really an airgap or an air vent. Also, I'm wondering if it would handle 2.4 gpm. This would be much more convenient than extending to the washer."

I read your replies and can't find you answering his questions.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Sigh, you must really bo bored.

Yes, I have extensive experience with them and have found them to be ideal for installations where the kitchen sink or dishwasher is located ideally close to the softener installation. There is also a version specifically for RO systems. it works great too.

dishwasher_07.jpg

It is an air gap, please check out this link, they have a decent definition and some great products for the professional installers. Air gaps are not recommended, they are required! http://www.airgap.com/plumbing_codes.html

ditttohead

Reaction score
This is called trolling. He has not replied probably because he was asking how to do a code air gap prior to his second post, where he found that a dual inlet dish washer air gap was an excellent and simple solution. Why would he need a dual inlet under the house??? I assume he understands that airgap simply replaces the standard single inlet dishwasher airgap and gives him a second inlet. I doubt he was asking how to install that specific air-gap. You are so desperate to chase me around and reply with a negative to every one of my posts that it is seriously becoming funny. Your self proclaimed ignorance of codes, and your blatant disregard for laws and regulations has really made me laugh today. The simple fact that you would tell someone to not use an airgap in the first place.

Your reply "I suggest he fix any cause of a back up, leave it as it is or get rid of the air gap." please explain how you get rid of "any cause" of a backup? Drain lines clog, they back up, plumber comes out and fixes. I guess your solution would be to get rid of the drain in general and just let it go under the house. I guess that would work in your case, lol. "get rid of the airgap".. your really going to recommend that? Any real plumbers here agree with that one? Any licensed or qualified people on this site agree?

FYI, you may want to read some code books, or at least do a little research prior to making comments like that. Here is a simplified version and a good place to start, though there is much more to it than what this site has. http://www.airgap.com/plumbing_codes.html

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
This is called trolling. He has not replied probably because he was asking how to do a code air gap prior to his second post, where he found that a dual inlet dish washer air gap was an excellent and simple solution. Why would he need a dual inlet under the house???

LOL, you've lost it man, get a new grip.

He said nothing about installing it in his crawl space or, anything about a dish washer....

Here is what he said: "On the first floor is a bathroom sink & a kitchen sink which I could get this line to through the floor. But I don't have a clue how this connection would be made and still use an air gap. How is this done (without opening up the walls); pics or links appreciated.".

I assume he understands that airgap simply replaces the standard single inlet dishwasher airgap and gives him a second inlet. I doubt he was asking how to install that specific air-gap.

Now you are assuming he has an air gap on a dish washer. And guessing that he knows how to install the air gap he posted a picture of.

Your reply "I suggest he fix any cause of a back up, leave it as it is or get rid of the air gap." please explain how you get rid of "any cause" of a backup?

Usually there are signs that a drain is not flowing as it used to and that says there is a high probably of a future problem. Or if there is an onsite septic system, water on the surface between the house and the septic says there is a problem. Same for grass being greener around the septic than in other areas. Some of that also applies to city sewer, especially the slow down of a sink, toilet, etc..

I've always been into preventive maintenance rather than waiting until it 'breaks' and then fixing it. And in my many decades of life and owning a number of houses and living in others I didn't own, the only time a plumber was called out was when I wasn't home and the spoiled little girl (her parents were friends of ours) in the upstairs apartment of our apartment house would flush her tampons. And finally, with her mother agreeing, the fourth time in about 18 months and my wife making excuses for her but constantly complaining about it to only me.... out she went.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks