Sink P-trap with HVAC condensate drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Dcuellar

Reaction score
I'm looking for a satin nickel p-trap with an extension pipe that has an opening (similar to a garbage disposal tee) to accept an HVAC condensate drain line.

The PVC ones are easy to find but does anyone have any experience with a decorative one for a custom home? It will be visible.

branch-tailpiece-for-dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm looking for a satin nickel p-trap with an extension pipe that has an opening (similar to a garbage disposal tee) to accept an HVAC condensate drain line.

The pvc ones are easy to find but does anyone have any experience with a decorative one for a custom home? It will be visible.

The condensate line must discharge into an air gap.

Dcuellar

Reaction score
Tailpipe on P trap

The condensate line must discharge into an air gap.

I realize the condensate line must discharge before the u-bend but I'm looking for a tailpipe extension that has a connection similar to that found on pipe from a garbage disposal. These I can get in pvc. I'm looking for a metal one.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
I realize the condensate line must discharge before the u-bend but I'm looking for a tailpipe extension that has a connection similar to that found on pipe from a garbage disposal. These I can get in pvc. I'm looking for a metal one.

Your better off sticking with plastic as condensate water is acidic and will eat through metal.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure you understand what is meant by condensation lines draining into an air gap. This means it can not connect solidly. I drains similar to a washing machine, just on a smaller scale. Just for clarity, what you call a U-bend is commonl a P trap.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can not dump the condensate line into the fitting you want to use.

Condensate must drain into an indirect waste using an air gap or air break.

802.1.5 NonPotable clear water waste

Where devices and equipment such as process tanks, filters, drips and boilers discharge non-potable water to the building drainage system, the discharge shall be through an indirect waste pipe by means of an air break or an air gap

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; This means it can not connect solidly. I drains similar to a washing machine, just on a smaller scale.

I don't know where you get your information, but in this area MOST A/C condensate lines DO disharge into a branch tailpiece and NONE of them have "air gaps". Get a chrome 1 1/4" threaded brass branch tailpiece, (most plumbing and big box stores have them), and then "rub" it with steel wool to give it the satin stainless steel look.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
802.1.5 NonPotable clear water waste

Where devices and equipment such as process tanks, filters, drips and boilers discharge non-potable water to the building drainage system, the discharge shall be through an indirect waste pipe by means of an air break or an air gap

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks