Thermal Expansion Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

TVL

Reaction score
I have a couple of dumb questions, but i do need the answers:

I am about to replace our old 40 gallon water heater. The old setup does NOT utilize a thermal exapnsion tank:

1- Does it matter which water line I have the thermal expansion tank soldered on. The cold water line is more easily accessible, but I've got a feeling it should be on the hot water line ...................... or does it really matter?

2- What size tank shoud be used for a 40 gallon water heater ........ city water - about 50 PSI pressure

Thanks so much!

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
You only need one if you have a closed system. For instance, if you have a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) or a check valve in the water meter. If you don't have a closed system, the expansion tank won't be needed.

bell_6001_637.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TVL

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you!!

It is a closed system and I will use a 2.2 gallon on the cold water line. Does the thermal expansion tank need to be mounted within a certain distance from the water heater??

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It is a closed system and I will use a 2.2 gallon on the cold water line. Does the thermal expansion tank need to be mounted within a certain distance from the water heater??

It can be anywhere in the system. I have mine near my garage door on the incoming cold, not near the water heater.

expansion_wild_02.jpg

This one is in a customers home.
New PRV, shutoff and added an expansion tank.

Last edited:

TVL

Reaction score
And Terry, are the big box expansion tanks OK ......... or better to go elsewhere?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And Terry, are the big box expansion tanks OK ......... or better to go elsewhere?

Same stuff. It's hard to mess up the expansion tanks.

I went skiing yesterday and I noticed our friends had replaced a kitchen faucet in their condo. He had picked up an "opened" box Delta faucet and installed it. There was a problem with it, so he wound up replacing it. Someone else had returned it, and it had been put on the shelf and sold to him. He had picked up somebody else's return.
It's a 70 mile drive to his condo up in the mountains. :(

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the expansion tank is supposed to be on the cold side as said, and anywhere is okay, BUT, it is supposed to not have a valve between it and the tank. The water will expand everywhere in the closed system and those designed for potable water (not the heating/boiler ones) are only designed for cold water, not hot.

TVL

Reaction score
Terry,

Thanks for posting the photo ................ I do like the way that one is installed. It has given me another idea as to where to install it.

Question: Do these tanks need to be checked periodically to ensure the air charge is correct? If so, then I need to install it so that it is easily accessible.

Thanks again!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; those designed for potable water (not the heating/boiler ones) are only designed for cold water, not hot.

Domestic water "expansion tanks" are glass lined and will work for cold OR HOT water, (in fact the way they operate means that "hot water" will seldom even enter the tank and NEVER reach the rubber diaphragm). Heating tanks are black steel and will corrode if used for domestic water purposes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks