Skirted Toto with Drake performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Newadam

Reaction score
From what I had read, I was planning on buying a Drake II for our bathroom remodelling project, but my wife (who also cleans houses for extra cash), asked if we could get a skirted toilet IF it performed as well as the best toilets.

Can I expect the Aquia or the Carlyle to perform as well (or better) as the Drake II? We live in Michigan on a well, so water conservation is not an issue and I do not want a dual flush toilet. But if I have to get dual flush to get a skirt, then I may do that.

Other musts are high and elongated seat. One or two-piece is fine, but one piece would be better.

I would appreciate any recommendations. This forum has already been very helpful.

Brian

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Vespin is essentially a skirted Drake. I have one, and it works quite well. I also have a Carlyle and put in a couple of Drakes at my mother's house...all have been problem free. I do see a difference between those with CEFIONTECT and without...with it, they stay cleaner longer and are easier to clean when they do require it. A worthwhile upgrade, if it isn't standard on that model.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
To put a finer point on it, the Vespin II and the Drake II use the same tank (it actually says "Vespin II/Drake II Tank" on the box). So if you like the looks of the Drake II, the Vespin II is similar, just with a skirted bowl. It is a bit more complex to install because it uses the Unifit adapter under the skirt, but it's no big deal. It has a >=800 MAP rating, just like the Drake II. And the bowl is otherwise similar to the Drake II bowl (e.g. CEFIONTECT, Double-Cyclone Flush, 1.28gpf, Universal Height).

The Carlyle II is like a skirted Ultramax II. We have one. It's great.

Any of the toilets Terry mentioned will do a great job for you. You just pick the style and price that works for you. If you go to the Toto web site, just remember that the prices there are list; the street price is generally 35-40% off of that. Quotes vary wildly from plumbing supply place to plumbing supply place, so we always recommend that you call around with the exact model number and color that you want, asking for a price if you came in and bought it today. Every person who does this comes back and says, "Wow! You were right! Some places quoted prices close to list and then out of the blue I called a really nice supply place near my house and they had a great deal..." Just get out the yellow pages (or go to yp.com) and look up plumbing supply; don't worry if their ad doesn't say they carry Toto; most places can get it from their wholesaler.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a good thing I do other things besides selling product. With wjcandee saying my prices are too high, I have to do something that pays.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
^I don't see that he said that. He was talking about the list price on the TOTO website. The list prices on there are very high and tend to scare people off making them look for a cheaper solution. I know that your prices are good and I know that I would buy from you if I was local.

Edit: As an example, an elongated 1.28 gpf Drake I shows a starting price of $402.00.

Last edited:

Newadam

Reaction score
Thanks all, that is just the information I needed. I will get the CEFIONTECT option for sure.

I'll shop around for price as you've suggested too. Wish I were in Seattle - you deserve my business. And because it's 10 below outside!

This year, I toured an architectural ceramics plant in Ohio, and I've toured one in CA. I was impressed with how technical and detailed the making, glazing and firing of these products is, and how that can result in a very wide range of quality within the same product type (in this case toilets). So it makes complete sense to me why an expensive toilet is worth it, just from the quality of the clay, and the firing and glazing process. Then there's the engineering. At least there are still good products to be bought, made in America.

Thanks again. This is a great resource.

Brian

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It's a good thing I do other things besides selling product. With wjcandee saying my prices are too high, I have to do something that pays.

Sorry, Terry. Really. I thought you were the one that told me that 30-35% off list was fair. Some places will go forty, and that's info that's fair for a random consumer in a random location to know. If I had the opportunity to buy from you, as you know, I would, even if it was another 10-20% or more. Your service level commands a premium. And if you were here I would use you for everything regardless of price. Because I know it will be done right -- because that's the kind of guy you are: amazingly knowledgeable and someone who takes pride in their work. And that's my right as a consumer: to pay more just because I personally think it's worth it.

And certainly your installed price (toilet plus install) actually blows away any licensed plumber I have seen anywhere. Others would charge out the ass for installing a Unifit and you don't, so the slightly-higher parts price actually results in an amazing deal once you install it. Are we to say that it's not fair to other plumbers that you don't charge enough for your service, particularly given the quality of work you do? Or that it's unfair that you reveal your prices upfront on work like a toilet install? Of course not. You set your price where you as a businessperson think it should be set; it just happens that it's a great deal for the folks in your area!

Anyway, I usually consult your posted prices when talking about street price, so maybe I have something wrong. In any event, happy new year and thanks for all you do!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks