Odor in my well water

Users who are viewing this thread

rarjr

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Yesterday my wife was doing a load of laundry and was overwhelmed by a strong chemical odor. She brought me a wet piece of clothing to smell and I compare it to the smell of fiber glass resin or turpentine. I then ran various faucets in the house and the smell is in fact coming from the water. We had someone out today to take a sample but said it will be a few days before he hears back from the lab.

While we wait for the results we are using only bottled water and taking showers at the gym.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Thanks,
Rick

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is an unusual problem. If it is a very old pump the motor could be filled with mineral oil. Or some really old ones had capacitors in the motor that could leak out, but either of these things should keep the pump from running.

I would be curious what the lab says, then start looking for the source.

rarjr

Reaction score
That is an unusual problem. If it is a very old pump the motor could be filled with mineral oil. Or some really old ones had capacitors in the motor that could leak out, but either of these things should keep the pump from running.

I would be curious what the lab says, then start looking for the source.

Thank you for your input Valveman.

The first person who we had come out and take the first sample was our regular jack of all trades "handyman". He didn't see any issues with the hardware. Tomorrow we are having an expert come out who specializes in wells take a second sample. I will pass along your comments to him.

The reason we are having a second sample sent in. Is because the county lab we sent the first sample too only tests for bacteria and nitrates. I know someone who is an expert in environmental catastrophes who I consulted because he has experience with every issue under the sun. He recommended taking another sample because to him it sounds like either Benzene or MTBE contamination. On one side of my house is a vacant gas station and on the other side is a retired farmer who uses the pole barns on his property a rental storage for boats,rv's, and industrial farm equipment.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There is not much to go on. No mention of the well, be it shallow or deep. No mention of where in the US, be it in an area where shale gas frac'ing is taking place.

It could be a chemical spill contaminating ground water.

rarjr

Reaction score
There is not much to go on. No mention of the well, be it shallow or deep. No mention of where in the US, be it in an area where shale gas frac'ing is taking place.

It could be a chemical spill contaminating ground water.

Thank you for replying LLigetfa.

I'm not sure on the type of well, I will ask him tomorrow when he comes out. I live in Wisconsin, my friend who thought of Benzene or MTBE also brought up frac'ing. Wisconsin does have frac'ing locations, but we couldn't find anything about it being in my area.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

rarjr

Reaction score
Wow thanks Smooky!

I'm really hoping once we get the results back it is this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks