Cycle stop Valve help

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
but I am going to see what the manufacture has to say tomorrow. I will report back :)

The extra check valves won’t cause a problem when they are new. But 6 months or 6 years from now when you start getting water hammer on pump start, you will need to remove the extra check valves to solve the problem. Also if you have any pipe underground before the last check valve, the extra check valve can cause contamination to get into your system.

A so called “professional” will add extra check valves because that is what all the “guide” books say to do. A real professional would know these extra check valves cause problems because he has seen it hundreds of times in the past.

I would like to know the cause of failure on the old motor. I can tell it wasn’t caused by a lack of flow, which is what the manufacturer will probably tell you when he finds out it had a Cycle Stop Valve. I know it was not a lack of flow because the thrust bearing is still good. The 40 amp spike is from a locked rotor, not a bad thrust bearing. If the thrust bearing were bad, the amps would go up after the pump starts, not at start up.

If the manufacturer says the CSV was the problem, tell them to put that in writing and I will personally warranty the motor. I don’t think they will put it in writing because they are usually very careful not to print un-true things that can get them into trouble.

Even though cycling is the biggest killer of pumps/motors, there are lots of other possible reasons for the motor failure. It could also just be a bad motor, which is a real warranty issue. Lack of cooing flow is the only thing they could try to pin on a properly installed CSV, and that is easy to disprove by looking at the thrust bearing.

If you want to know the real cause of failure, send the pump/motor to me. That is one thing I am good at, as I have been doing it all my life.

Maxbrandy

Reaction score
The extra check valves won’t cause a problem when they are new. But 6 months or 6 years from now when you start getting water hammer on pump start, you will need to remove the extra check valves to solve the problem. Also if you have any pipe underground before the last check valve, the extra check valve can cause contamination to get into your system.

A so called “professional” will add extra check valves because that is what all the “guide” books say to do. A real professional would know these extra check valves cause problems because he has seen it hundreds of times in the past.

I would like to know the cause of failure on the old motor. I can tell it wasn’t caused by a lack of flow, which is what the manufacturer will probably tell you when he finds out it had a Cycle Stop Valve. I know it was not a lack of flow because the thrust bearing is still good. The 40 amp spike is from a locked rotor, not a bad thrust bearing. If the thrust bearing were bad, the amps would go up after the pump starts, not at start up.

If the manufacturer says the CSV was the problem, tell them to put that in writing and I will personally warranty the motor. I don’t think they will put it in writing because they are usually very careful not to print un-true things that can get them into trouble.

Even though cycling is the biggest killer of pumps/motors, there are lots of other possible reasons for the motor failure. It could also just be a bad motor, which is a real warranty issue. Lack of cooing flow is the only thing they could try to pin on a properly installed CSV, and that is easy to disprove by looking at the thrust bearing.

If you want to know the real cause of failure, send the pump/motor to me. That is one thing I am good at, as I have been doing it all my life.

I only added the check valve before the pump as they recommended, I have one inside the house on the horizontal pipe before the CSV valve but pulled the flapper on that a while back to see if that was my issue with the motor. If the one by pump fails then I will pull the pump again, took about an 1 1/2 hours by myself to pull it with my tractor, worst part was pulling wiring , safety line and pipe away so I didnt end up with a mess

I am not sure what Lowes is going to say, I think its a bad pump and will stick to my guns on it. This pump has been acting up for some time now and I was not going to take the chance of it crapping out completely. Saturday was almost 40 here, today it 20 and windy. So I did what I thought I needed to do. I didnt want to spend another 500 on a pump, but it is what it is. If Lowes doesnt refund my cash, I will send the pump to you and you can repair and I will have as a spare or a weight for the plastic on my wood pile.

How could it be lack of flow when its pushing 55 psi constantly after start up?

I am going to call new manufacture and see what their thoughts are on the CSV ... and I will relay the info to you.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I don't think Lowes will give you your money back, But who knows, maybe a gift card if you talk to the store manager.

You should be able to get a New pump if you have proof of purchase.

It may need to be sent to China for inspection.

P.S. Maybe Lowes can sell you some smaller Breakers that work. 3-4 seconds is to long in my thinking. If your timing is correct.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
How could it be lack of flow when its pushing 55 psi constantly after start up?

I am going to call new manufacture and see what their thoughts are on the CSV ... and I will relay the info to you.

The pressure has very little to do with the flow rate, but I agree, it is not going to be a low flow problem.

I would be very grateful if you can get any pump/motor manufacturers to put their policy about CSV’s in writing. I have been trying to get that info for 20 years. If they could prove the CSV caused any problems I am sure they would put it in writing. The CSV doesn’t cause any problems and actually makes pumps last longer, which I assume is exactly why they won’t put anything in writing.

With all the things I have said about them in the last 20 years I am sure they would like to shut me up if they could. They just can’t prove anything I say is incorrect.

Maxbrandy

Reaction score
I don't think Lowes will give you your money back, But who knows, maybe a gift card if you talk to the store manager.

You should be able to get a New pump if you have proof of purchase.

It may need to be sent to China for inspection.

I have the proof of purchase and there is made in USA label on it. But on the pump I installed there was a Franklin sticker on the motor, nothing on the old pump.

I would take the gift card, I shop at lowes alot

Maxbrandy

Reaction score
The pressure has very little to do with the flow rate, but I agree, it is not going to be a low flow problem.

I would be very grateful if you can get any pump/motor manufacturers to put their policy about CSV’s in writing. I have been trying to get that info for 20 years. If they could prove the CSV caused any problems I am sure they would put it in writing. The CSV doesn’t cause any problems and actually makes pumps last longer, which I assume is exactly why they won’t put anything in writing.

With all the things I have said about them in the last 20 years I am sure they would like to shut me up if they could. They just can’t prove anything I say is incorrect.

I would think if it harmed the pump , it would stated some where that using one would void the warranty.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would think if it harmed the pump , it would stated some where that using one would void the warranty.

Yep! But if they void warranty because of a CSV they have to prove why it causes a problem. They have had 20 years to prove the CSV causes problems, but they can’t. I wouldn’t still be in business if they could find a single fly in the ointment.

I think it is pretty sorry that they tell people over the phone that the CSV causes problems, but they won’t put it in writing so I can do something about these false accusations.

Maxbrandy

Reaction score
Yep! But if they void warranty because of a CSV they have to prove why it causes a problem. They have had 20 years to prove the CSV causes problems, but they can’t. I wouldn’t still be in business if they could find a single fly in the ointment.

I think it is pretty sorry that they tell people over the phone that the CSV causes problems, but they won’t put it in writing so I can do something about these false accusations.

we shall see if thats what they tell me..... and I surely ask them why

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks