Drain height code for curbless showers

Users who are viewing this thread

gsr

Reaction score
Hello all,

There is a thread over at John Bridge Ceramic Tile Forum(s): http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109275 discussing code for curbless shower drains. Tilers are having questions about inspections of curbless installs including trench drains.

I'm curious what the purpose of the 2" height code is. Does it address flooding issues, or sewer back ups or ...?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Since you might step on the drain, or drop a washcloth, you may not notice the water accumulating...they want there to be at least some basin there to let the water accumulate before it runs out...2" may be arbitrary, but that's what it is. Especially when you've got a curbless design, you don't want it running out of the room or at least out of the waterproofed area. Sometimes, the safer route is to have a secondary linear drain so it can't go out the door.

gsr

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies Jim and John. I was hoping there was some logical/scientific reason for the (alleged) 2 inches.

That's beautiful work John, I'm glad your B.C. inspectors are cooperative.

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
Just tell the people how long you've been in the tile business. I've got just over forty years now, and I don't know it all. I've learned, though, that it's not productive to relentlessly run down other craftsmen. At the John Bridge Forums we strive constantly to better ourselves instead. ;)

Justadrip

Reaction score
Whipple is just a glorified plumber. He has other people do his tile work.
This forum is his last soap box and only forum that will have him. Remember all the tile forums that have banned you Whipple? Is it them or you that's the problem? Keep looking in the window wishing you could play with the big boys, only to go back to being the big fish in a really, really small pond. You sir are a great source of comedy and the only reason I come here.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Just tell us exactly how long you've been a tile contractor, John. :)

Whipple is just a glorified plumber. He has other people do his tile work.
This forum is his last soap box and only forum that will have him. Remember all the tile forums that have banned you Whipple? Is it them or you that's the problem? Keep looking in the window wishing you could play with the big boys, only to go back to being the big fish in a really, really small pond. You sir are a great source of comedy and the only reason I come here.

Are both of you saying John's techniques aren't sound? Just because you all don't agree, doesn't mean John is wrong.

John seems as diligent, and knowledgeable as anyone I've come across in my 25yrs in the trades. I can't do what he does, and I can do just about anything.

Justadrip

Reaction score
Vegas_sparky said:
Just because you all don't agree, doesn't mean John is wrong.
And the converse is also true. Whipple does his testing in his garage,manufactures do it in labs under controlled conditions. When Whipple comes up with a different test result we get the rant that the manufacture is wrong.
Vegas_sparky said:
John seems as diligent, and knowledgeable as anyone I've come across in my 25yrs in the trades.
To a point.
Vegas_sparky said:
I can't do what he does
Yes you can. Its not hard. Just read the manufactures instructions.

The biggest problems that guys in the tile trade have with Whipple is the fact that (1)he comes across as a "know-it -all". If you question his methods he goes into defensive mode,posts tons of pics and ask you how many you have done. (2)He has a real hard on for Schluter/John Bridge. I'm sure he was slighted somewhere down the line by them and has held a grudge ever since. My opinion is that he is jealous of John Bridge's relationship with Schluter and wants that spot. (3)He is not a tile setter. He makes himself look like one and claims to be but the guys in the industry know better. He subs his tile work out.

Whipples big head, "i know better than the manufactures" attitude and "im right,your wrong" stance have turned people(and forums) off to him.
If Whipple was as great as he thinks he is, as knowledgeable as he claims to be and a real leader in tile setting, he would not be banished to a plumbing forum that happens to have a sub forum about showers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks