Unusual stickiness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kcodyjr

Reaction score
Latest in my long set of how-the-blazes questions.

After I "go" there are invariably pieces stuck to the bowl. This has only been a problem since I moved here, and I'm not lazy about using the brush; every time I use the commode if I must. It is a low flow design.

However, I'm standing there scrubbing back and forth for several minutes and these freshly-left pieces stubbornly resist.

KIingons are one thing, but this is more like Kryptonite. Kraptonite? Seriously, they might be suitable as munitions.

Should I suspect the water itself? Could the bowl have taken surface damage via contamination somehow?

One of those $10 water test kits from Lowe's says my water is ever so slightly acidic, and ever so slightly soft, if that helps.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Long-term contact with acid can eventually etch the glaze on the toilet. It's not great for your pipes, either, and can leave copper stains, and discolor things. A new toilet would help for awhile, but would likely succumb to the same issues eventually. If you resolve the acidic water, look into one of the toilets with one of the optional super glazes...Toto calls theirs CEFIONTECT...it helps keep things from sticking.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The glaze has some thickness, so it starts really shiny like glass, then various stages of frosted, until you've eaten all of it off. Shiny is relative. How does it feel?

Kcodyjr

Reaction score
You mean I have to touch the surface of the toilet bowl?

*twitch*

I'll get back to you when I find some thin disposable gloves.

Kcodyjr

Reaction score
OK, I got over it and checked when it hadn't been used for awhile. It isn't rough, but there's a squeak to dragging my finger across it that isn't there around the rim. I can see texture in light reflecting off the bowl, but nowhere else. It's visibly just a little less glossy.

Great. Just great.

I don't think there's room in my plumbing closet for acid reduction, those things are huge, right?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Acidic water will etch glass with long exposure and pretty much all of the glazes are essentially glass based with potentially other stuff for color or who knows what. I've never tried it, but a good coating of one of the high-tech nano particle car waxes might solve the problem for awhile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks