Replace Toto fill valve BEFORE it fails?

Users who are viewing this thread

Al Thumbs

Reaction score
Greetings, Plumbing Mavens!

I have a Toto Drake #ST743S toilet from 2005, and this year I have had to replace both the flapper, which rotted away, and the flush handle assembly, which failed where the brass rod enters the socket in the handle.

My question is: should I replace the flush valve as preventative maintenance, or wait for it to fail? I have a Lowe's nearby and could pick up the Korky 528MPK replacement fill valve.

And, are there any other parts I should consider replacing?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Al Thumbs

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you add a cleaner to the toilet tank? That could have contributed to the failure.

Al Thumbs

Reaction score
No cleaner added.

Do you add a cleaner to the toilet tank? That could have contributed to the failure.

No products of any kind added. I don't feel like 8 years is too short a time for a flapper, but the handle was a poor design and should have lasted longer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have the Korky style valve in there, you can renew with their cap

korky_cap.jpg

Or you could just wait.
I installed a Korky stye at my mothers about twenty years ago. I just checked on it last week, and it's fine.

Korky 528T Replacement TOTO Toilet Fill Valve - Fits G-Max and Power Gravity Toilets -Easy to Install -Made in USA

Last edited:

Al Thumbs

Reaction score
If you have the Korky style valve in there, you can renew with their cap.

I don't know for sure if it's a Korky, but maybe; the blue top says GMAX and toto, and it says Anti-siphon valve and the number 528, which is the Korky model number.

AT

Al Thumbs

Reaction score
Is it worth upgrading to the newer MaxPerformance model?

Is this it? Home Despot sells it. Model number is R528CM.

View attachment 21970

Al T.

Well to answer my own question, I found the same picture of the cap here:
https://terrylove.com/korky/

So I guess it will fit! I learned from that page that the 528 has been replaced with the 528MP, MaxPerformance model. Is it worth upgrading to the MP model?

Many thanks.
Al T.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto (and probably many manufacturers) have their valves calibrated so that the tank and the bowl get properly filled without wasting a lot of water. The only easy thing to control, is the tank, since it is adjustable with the float. There are some fill valves that come with adjustable fill for the hose going to the overflow, and that, if you don't use an original valve, is often the easiest thing to use. The OEM valve has a custom orifice to control the proper bowl fill.

But, when you have something like the Korky valve that Toto uses in a bunch of their toilets, the two wear parts, the float (never really goes bad) and the cap assembly are the only moving, wear parts, and the cap is cheap, quick, and easy to replace, so why replace the whole thing?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
To answer your question, will the cap fit or is it worth upgrading to the 528MP, the answer is: buy the cap, and don't get the 528MP.

Terry is right that the basic white cap 528 won't give your toilet the right refill. But that's not what is in there. What is in there is the 528T, which is a Toto part and is the right one for your toilet. Duh -- it came with it.

So just replace the cap and you will be all set.

If the valve ever really breaks -- like it cracks and water is flying out of it or something, then the 528MP is a good substitute because it's a universal valve that you can set so it duplicates the refill ratio of your 528T. But it won't be any better than the 528T, it will just duplicate it.

kdmeyer

Reaction score
Al,

Based on my experience I would suggest you proactively replace the flush valve with a non-Toto part.

I had a Toto Ultramax professionally installed in 2000, the original fill valve failed within maybe four years and when it failed it leaked onto the floor. The leak was slow enough and out of sight so that we did not realize what was happening for several weeks, until water started dripping into the basement. I replaced that valve with an official Toto valve, special ordered from a local supplier and costing like fifty bucks. That one failed within a few years. I replaced it with a generic valve from the hardware store that cost about ten bucks and has worked flawlessly ever since.

My trip handle also failed as yours did, the pot metal casting simply wore out. So far the Toto replacement part has been ok.

I also had to replace my flapper when I could not get a complete flush unless the handle was held down for five seconds. After a couple supposedly exact replacement parts worked no better, an adjustable Korky 3060 finally worked, allowing me to remove the sign advising guests to hold down the handle.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks