Looking for new water treatment system

Users who are viewing this thread

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
Im looking for advice on a new treatment system. I have 3 bathroom, 2 adults and two boys. Ages 14 and 7. Had the water tested. See below.
1. pH 7.8
2. Color 15
3. Manganese 0.14
4. Iron 0.30
5. Hardness 56

I had Culligan and others over. I can do the install with the help of a plumber friend or family member. Any recommendations?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are going to need at least a 3 CF system based on the hardness and water usage. I would recommend using a Fleck or Clack valve. Both make valve that are built to last.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are 2 types of KDF. KDF 55 is used to remove chlorine and KDF 85 is used to remove sulfur. You did not report either one so I would not recommend it.

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
This is the most frustrating part. I've talked to 6 different companies and they all recommended something different. Can someone spell out exactly what I need. I really appreciate all your help

Reach4

Reaction score
Others have agreed that there is nothing in your numbers that says you need a more complex system. I just IMed you what I would be thinking of for a softener. You did not mention smells and heavy staining. If you have those, I would leave room for a backwashing filter after the pressure tank if you have space in case there is some extra element that the softener and filters don't solve. I suggested the 2 big blue filter housings before the softener. Those can be loaded with readily available filter elements. Maybe there are problems you did not describe.

You have gotten suggestions based on your numbers. You have been talking with dedicated salesmen who seem to be proposing more advanced systems? Why? Note that if your system is proprietary, you may be limited as to who can work on it later. Maybe you should talk to neighbors who have dealt with the local water, and see what worked for them. I am not a pro.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Iron and manganese removal is easy, especially at those low levels. The hardness is minimal, do you really need to treat it or do you desire to treat it? What do you want from the water? Are you unhappy with the water the way it currently is? If the color is the only issue, it could be partially caused by the low levels of iron. A simple filter may be all that is needed, or some sort of oxidising media. Even a simple softener may be all that is needed with a simple pre-filter or a backwahsing filter media.

What are the complaints of your existing water now?
What do you want the water to be like after treatment?
How much are you willing to spend?

With these simple questions, we can more accurately give advice.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ditto, Did you take the hardness as PPM? If so, what tiped you off? I took it as GPG. Pologuy, Plese list the hardness in GPG. It makes a big difference on sizing the proper unit.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Yeah, I am not sure why, I just assumed PPM, not GPG. If it is GPG then a softener would sure be nice! if it is ppm, then it would be more of a luxury item rather than almost required.

If it is 56+ grains, then a 3 cu. ft. system would be the minimumum recommended size. Even that would be slightly undersized.

A twin alternating unit might make more sense and it would be more efficient. It will probably cost about the same too.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, I am not sure why, I just assumed PPM, not GPG. If it is GPG then a softener would sure be nice! if it is ppm, then it would be more of a luxury item rather than almost required.

If it is 56+ grains, then a 3 cu. ft. system would be the minimumum recommended size. Even that would be slightly undersized.

A twin alternating unit might make more sense and it would be more efficient. It will probably cost about the same too.
I thought I might have missed something. These old eyes are getting worse each day. LOL

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
56 mg/l

Ive been told i can use a simple double filter system with a 20 micron filter then a kdf 85 filter and my water would be fine. Ive also been told i needed a system in the range of 5000.

My water is drinkable with no smell. I do see some staining in the toilet from the iron.

I dont have a plumbing background so i'm not the most technical person. I'm trying to learn though:)

ditttohead

Reaction score
56 MG/L would be very minimal hardness. BB filter systems on a three bath house is probably not a good idea. Is the color a concern? If the water is good and you only have a little staining in the toilets, try CLR or some other acid based cleaner, probably a lot cheaper than a whole house water system.

I would recommend a small RO for your drinking water just to ensure that the water you are consuming is of very high quality.

I am sure others here will have some different ideas. But, $5000 for treating water that is already fairly good...

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
so i should only use a micron filter for the water i have? There is no smell. I'm really concerned about the pipes and washing machine. I'm a week away from having a wood gassifier boiler installed with 1000 gallons of storage.

Skyhawk

Reaction score
Im looking for advice on a new treatment system. I have 3 bathroom, 2 adults and two boys. Ages 14 and 7. Had the water tested. See below.
1. pH 7.8
2. Color 15
3. Manganese 0.14
4. Iron 0.30
5. Hardness 56

I had Culligan and others over. I can do the install with the help of a plumber friend or family member. Any recommendations?

Pologuy, I gave up on my water softener and installed a hard water genie for northgate distribution. It uses radio frequency and direct inductive coupling (magnetized water). I know there are a lot of plumbers out there that say it doesn't work. I am here to say I have had it installed for 6 weeks and it does what they say it does. Exactly what a water softener does but better, it reduces lime scale not only from the water, but clears up your pipes. Doesn't add salt to the water, zero maintenance. Just takes 20 minutes to install and get this. If you install it and you feel it does not work for you Northgate distribution will replace it, no questions ask and return your money in full. I bought mine for $349. One more thing, if you have a water softener, you can use the water genie in front of the softener and will realize a reduction in the use of salt.
Great product

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
. One more thing, if you have a water softener, you can use the water genie in front of the softener and will realize a reduction in the use of salt.
Great product
Making a statement like this, it is very clear that you have no clue as to how a water softener works. It also tells me you have do not have the ability to realize when you have been had. Good luck with you $349.00 paper weight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks