New guy with some questions about removing silt on a well system.

Users who are viewing this thread

chasmosis1

Reaction score
As stated I am new to the forum. I have read many posts on here as well as other forums in the past few days. I am on a well that is 115'. Pump is sitting at 110' and is in 3' of water. I know that doesn't seem like much, but I have run this way for over 5 years now and have flushed the well for 48hrs. at the head, as well as filling a pool with 7600 gallons without sucking any air. My problem is with silt. I run a Grundfos SS impeller pump to prevent impeller damage. I need to remove the silt for obvious reasons, as well as soften the water. My plan to remove the silt is to run through a Rusco 60 mesh SS sediment trapper than into a Fleck 7000SXT 2.0 sediment backwash filter. I will be going into a softener at this time which is where I need the help. I have a Fleck 8500 Econominder (mechanical) that I used to use until it started leaking. I cleaned everything out and bought new media for it and purchased all the parts to rebuild it before they became unavailable. I am wondering if I can just replace the 8500 dual tank control valve with a 9100sxt dual tank control valve to upgrade before reassembling all of it. Can I reuse my 2 tanks, which are still like new and my brine tank, which is also like new? If I replace the control valve is there anything else I would need to make this work?

I know this is kinda long, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Chas

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I understand your question, you bought the stuff to rebuild the 8500 but you are now thinking of going with a 9100SXT instead?

chasmosis1

Reaction score
I'm thinking that the tanks are universal, but I would like confirmation before I update the control valve.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
You will be able to use the media tanks, but you will need both the 9100 control head and its 2nd tank adapter as you will NOT be able to use the tank adapters you have with the 8500.
Most likely you will also be able to use the current meter and bypass from the 8500 to the 9100..

chasmosis1

Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies. I am thinking that the "2nd tank adapter" is included as long as I get the twin demand control valve as it is set up for the 2 tanks. I would post a link to what I am referring to, but I'm not sure about the linking rules of this forum.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the 9100 is new then most likely it will have the 2nd tank adapter will be with it as I know it is when I order a new 9100,, you just need to let them know what size tanks you are using as there are three different cross over tube sets..

chasmosis1

Reaction score
Thank you Akpsdvan, the 9100 is new and they are asking for the tank size, which the tag on the side of them say 10X54. If I am correct that would be 48K.

Tom Sawyer, I cleaned everything out to get a fresh start. The 8500 control valve is actually sitting in my shop still apart. I bought a seal kit as well as the cage and never got around to reassembling it. I am looking at going with the 9100sxt because of how difficult it is to find parts for the obsolete 8500, and because the 9100sxt is digital and, in my opinion, easier to operate.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
You will need the 10-12" yoke.
Depending on how the tank was done, but most likely it is 48k max capacity.
You should also be able to order it with out the bypass as the one that you have will marry the 9100.
You will need to do some re-plumbing of the in out lines but out side of that.

chasmosis1

Reaction score
Thanks for the help Akpsdvan. I will be replumbing anyway as it was originally in the mud room and the wife wanted it gone from there. I will now be putting it down in the 6X6 underground well house as well as the 7000sxt sediment backwash filter, the Rusco trapper, the pressure tank, and a whole house aft filter. This should be a plumbing nightmare!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Underground????

Basement would be one thing but if it is going to be half or even part into the ground it will be a really large pain in the seat when it comes time to change the media in the sediment filter.......... trust me when I say put it where one can work on it in good light and easy to move out with hand truck.....

Out of sight out of mind is another thing to remember.

pm if you would like

chasmosis1

Reaction score
To clear up any confusion this is going into a former well house. The new well is pitless and about 20' from the well house. The well house is a basically a 8' tall 6' X 6" block building that is built underground with a pitched roof on it that has a removable part to allow entry. The well house currently stores the pressure tank as well as the state mandated meter. It has a dirt floor, but I am in the process of pouring a slab in it with a center drain just in case of a flood due to a broken water pipe. I am also installing a 10' length of perforated pipe in a gravel base leading away from the well house about 2' in ground under the height of the roof top that will serve as my drain for my backwashing of the filter & softener. Having to carry salt down a ladder into the well house is not optimal, but due to the lack of any other place to currently install the equipment it is a necessary evil. However the complete roof is on a pivot that allows me to completely open the top to pour concrete, and change media when that time becomes necessary. This is what I will need to deal with until such time that I make the garage addition to the home, which I hope to do within a 2 year time frame, at that time all of this equipment will be relocated there. Hopefully that will be before the media needs to be changed.

If this is confusing you, basically this is a basement!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see, the light is dawning over that there hill......

Depending on floor level and ground level the pain should be little...

It does sound like you have a good plan at hand ...

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm curious about the "state mandated meter". Do they send around a meter reader and bill you for pumping your own water out of the ground? Sounds ridiiculous at first, but makes a lot of sense in the long run. Does anyone know if other states or jurisdictions have similar mandates?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Chasmosis1, unless you plan to use the "basement" for something else after moving the equipment, instead of pouring the slab, why not use patio block under the tanks? They work very well. Or pour the slab after moving the equipment.

Mikey... a number of years ago some eastern states (NJ, PA etc.) started talking about meters on private wells and then when people heard of that and raised hell, they gave up on the idea. This is the first I've heard of a state actually doing it but then I've been out of the circle for some time. Maybe NM was first and where the stupid idea came from.

Lifespeed

Reaction score
Underground aquifers are inherently a shared resource. While I dislike increased government interference, I also don't think it is right for heavy users to drain the aquifer unchecked.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Underground aquifers are inherently a shared resource. While I dislike increased government interference, I also don't think it is right for heavy users to drain the aquifer unchecked.

IMO that "shared resource" depends on what type of geology and well we are talking about.

I guess I need a definition of heavy residential user. When someone (commercial entity) wants to use more than the normal residential volume of groundwater, I hear they have hearings to go to and permits have to be acquired. Many don't get the the permit. Plus I don't see how requiring private well owners to have a water meter would prevent them from using more water than the norm.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose that someone with a huge lawn like an estate or someone running a quasi-commercial enterprise in a residential zone. I mean, its possible but the logistics of charging someone for use of their own private well seems like more trouble than it would be worth. On the other hand, we have quite a few mobile home parks in this area that are on private wells and some have a couple of hundred homes in them so should the owner be charged for water use or just taxed up the wazoo. I know of one park in Belmont where the owner charges the tenents for water use. Private well, and each home has a water meter under it. The owner reads the meters and charges accordingly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks