Water Heater Vent Location? Am I an idiot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphy625

Reaction score
Reading the manual for my power vent, it says:
The venting system shall terminate at least 4 feet (1.2 m) below, 4
feet (1.2 m) horizontally from or, 12 in. (30 cm) above any door,
window or gravity air inlet into any building.

Does this mean it must be 4 feet below AND 4 feet horizontally? or is it 4 feet below OR 4 feet horizontally?

I'm having issues since there is a door or window about every 6 feet or so along the back side of my home.

Thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Does this mean it must be 4 feet below AND 4 feet horizontally? or is it 4 feet below OR 4 feet horizontally?

I fail to understand how that can be ambiguous. If it is 4 feet away (beside or below) then you are golden. If it is above, it needs to be only 1 foot.

Murphy625

Reaction score
I fail to understand how that can be ambiguous.

Well, I posted the same question in another forum and got a completely different answer saying it needed to be 4 feet under AND 4 feet horizontally from any window / door that opens.

Two different forums, two different answers...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hot exhaust fumes will want to go up. Wind will tend to move them any which way. They figure that 4' is enough offset for the fumes to be dispersed to a safe concentration. Personally, I'd not want it below an operable window or other opening.

Murphy625

Reaction score
The hot exhaust fumes will want to go up. Wind will tend to move them any which way. They figure that 4' is enough offset for the fumes to be dispersed to a safe concentration. Personally, I'd not want it below an operable window or other opening.

ya, that's kind of what I figured.. I'm an engineer and its not rocket science but I thought it would be best to try and follow all the rules the best I could. I don't want to make any dumb preventable mistakes.

thanks,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks