cast iron baseboard

Users who are viewing this thread

lmei007

Reaction score
The existing cast iron baseboasd is too long for my bathroom. I am thinking separate it. Anybody has experience about this? how hard it is. If I cannot make it shorter, can I install it vertically?

Attachments

• IMG_9908.jpg
    IMG_9908.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3,381
  • IMG_9909.jpg
    IMG_9909.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,629

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Remove the two bolts, then "wiggle" the two sections and they will separate. Do the same for the other end to make it the size you need it. If you are lucky, the push nipples will stay where you need them and come out where you don't. Otherwise you will have to use a wrench to "twist them" so the come out. If you can get four of them without wrench marks you can apply pipe joint compound to them and put them back into the openings. Push the sections together and reinstall the bolts. We used a tool to press them together and then installed the bolts but you don't have that.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I don't think he's planning on re-assembling, only dis-assembling.

I'm assuming the push-nipple holes will need to be tapped for pipe-threads once you have it apart to be able to hook it up into the system.

lmei007

Reaction score
We used a tool to press them together and then installed the bolts but you don't have that.

I don't need put them together now but will do that soon. Could you please tell me the name of that special tool and I will try to find/buy/rent one. I need it for more than 1600sqft heating.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You remove center sections and put the end pieces back together with the push nipples. Only the end sections are tapped and have legs so you do NOT tap the push nipple ports.

lmei007

Reaction score
Because the space limitation in the bathroom, I may use a section with one leg.

lmei007

Reaction score
No, I cannot use the one leg section alone because only end sections are threaded. Maybe install it vertically.

Mage182

Reaction score
You're installing CI baseboard for a 1600sqft house? You shouldn't underestimate the labor involved in doing this if you haven't before. Assembling sections can be difficult, maneuvering large sections can be cumbersome, and if not done right leaks will occur. Do you have the legs to support the middle of longer sections?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Do you have the legs to support the middle of longer sections?

Middle sections do NOT have legs. If you only need 2' then you need a single section which has tappings and legs on both ends. installing it vertically would reduce its efficiency because a lot of its heat comes from convection flowing up through the channels on the back.

lmei007

Reaction score
You're installing CI baseboard for a 1600sqft house? You shouldn't underestimate the labor involved in doing this if you haven't before. Assembling sections can be difficult, maneuvering large sections can be cumbersome, and if not done right leaks will occur. Do you have the legs to support the middle of longer sections?

I have another 1400sqft with cast iron baseboard alreay. I think it is good to have the addition using the same material. I can image it is not an easy thing to do but I will be careful then.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not use a wal hung European steel radiator www.qht.com or substitute for copper fin tube or, if you're putting a cabinet in, a toe space heater. I hate baseboard in bathrooms. It always gets pissed on or rusted from the humidity.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nah, not in a Bathroom. If it was a larger section or in the living room I'd agree but it ain't worth the effort messing with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks