Removing a shower pfister valve

Users who are viewing this thread

garyji

Reaction score
I'm having trouble removing a shower pfister valve.

pam's shower 3.jpg

How do I get the stem out?

pam's shower.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
First get a 1/2" drive socket which fits into that sleeve snugly, usually a 15/16" one. Then use Chanelock pliers to unscrew the sleeve, the socket will keep the sleeve from distorting. Then you can unscrew the stem with a deep socket or a faucet socket wrench.

garyji

Reaction score
First get a 1/2" drive socket which fits into that sleeve snugly, usually a 15/16" one. Then use Chanelock pliers to unscrew the sleeve, the socket will keep the sleeve from distorting. Then you can unscrew the stem with a deep socket or a faucet socket wrench.

Thanks! Got it out. Now to find what looks like a very large washer. Is this a unique pfister washer? The OD of the cup that holds the washer is about .75 in.

2013-08-05 16.24.42.jpg

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
The washer is trade size 3/8L. You also need the seat the washer seals against (that is why the washer is ripped up). The OEM # is 970-500 for the seat.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Problem solved!

For now. If I, or some other good plumber, had fixed it, we would have made it a "lifetime" repair so you wouldn't have to worry about it any more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks