turn furnace into a fan for summer?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
"Well insulated" means different things to different people (and in different climates.) A mere 11" of fiberglass in the attic wouldn't even make current code-min in much of New England. The 5.5" batts on 2x6" construction would meet current code if they're a high density type, but the typical R19s wouldn't make the grade. To me "very well insulated" means "better than code", not code-minimum, not that there's anything wrong with the current code minimums. I suspect the code-min for Calgary is about your level of insulation, which is fine, but it doesn't come with braggin' rights. ;-)

Your attic venting scheme is probably doing more for cooling the conditioned space than the furnace-fan (which is still behaving as a 600-1000W space heater, after all.)

Russell Gooch

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead but it is pretty easy if you have the extra wires just not hooked up on the tstat side and or furnace side turn off power to furnace then hook up the G wire if you do not have the wires or compatable tstat you can literally run two wires to a switch like a toggle or light switch to the exterior of the furnace or even simply jumper the R wire and the G wire.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead...

I hope you washed your hands after digging up this corpse.

One thing I did not see mention of is humidity and mold. If not controlled, sometimes it is best to leave the basement air where it is rather than circulate it. Drawing warm humid air down into the basement can create mold issues with the fan spreading the mold spores throughout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks